Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default TUxedo6-2683 the ripoff thread

Yes i know a pure ripoff of the Broadway thread but also a big compliment as it inspired me about my old neighborhood.

Call and lets go to the Alger, Vogue, Civic, Esquire, or Woods theatre.
    Rose and Doms party store for pop and candy.
    Rays Deli the Epicurians Mecca
    Zenos, Cals, or Club 500 for pizza
    Lombardis for some good Italian
    Cadieux Cafe for mussels and feather bowling.
    McDonald drugs for the old soda fountain
    A&K for spices and Lebanese
    Stoukas for Greek foods
    Sahara for great Lebanese dinners
    DeRonnes hardware for everything you need like free lightbulbs
    East Warren lanes or Maple Lanes
    Little markets like Yorkshire, Ninos Blanckes, or Embos.
    Holland American, Verdonckts bakery.
    Vergotes for fresh killed chickens.

I remember McDonnel drugs on Harper!One of my classmates at St.Matthew worked there.But there was another drugstore on Harper between Audubon and Courville.The nuns hated that place and forbid us to go there on our lunchtime[[McDonnel's was OK ,of course,since one our student's families had something to do with it).I remember one of them even saying that it should be blown off the face of the earth!What was the name of THAT drugstore?This would have been the mid 1960s.

Tarkus got most of them but here's a few more:

Hambergers [[fried fish on Fridays) at Saber Lancer
    Cream Puff Hot Fudge at Sanders
    Pick up a gold fish from Kressge for that biology class
    Copy a school assignment out the encyclopedias at the Jefferson Branch of the DPL
    Join a team at Cannon Rec Center

TUxedo2-0707

How about playing jet-ball at Stellwagon
    Hamburgers at Gates, or Genevas
    Concerts at The Red Carpet
    Mr C's pizza for pizza day
    Going thru the woods at Balduck
    Milroys for fish on Fridays or K of C hall
    Your first suit from Tony Rimminellis
    Cunninghams or Schetler Drugs

How about Earl's Bike Shop on Harper west of St. Matthews... The Milk Depot on Harper at Morang... Wrigley's Drug Store AND Wrigley's Supermarket [[before Bruno's took over that portion of the building) on Harper. I also remember the retail portion of the Vogue Theatre... bought my first pennies for my Lincoln Cent Collection from a coin dealer there.... and the nearby Bank of the Commonwealth branch...

After Sunday dinner treats from the Dairy Queen
    Playing pool at the Carom Club
    Picking up Chinese at the Golden Buddha
    Dancing the night away at Oliver's!!!
    Rockin' out at The Red Carpet
    Broccoli soup from the Mediterranean Lounge
    Baklava from A&K Oriental

and on Mack Ave....
    Penny candy from Cara's
    Hanging out at the Kaleidoscope
    Buying "foreign" goods at Ole

omg kathleen, i too remember kaleidscope. it was one of the coolest places to go with mom and sisters.
    Last edited by Maof; October-30-09 at 04:00 PM.

The Carom Club. That guy Nick had a thousand cats in there and it smelled heavily of yoorine.

I'll add:
    Model car kits from Tiffany's or Kresge's on Warren or Joe's Gift Shop on Mack[[my source for Matchbox cars,too)
    Cherry Coke[[with real cherry bits) and the most unusual,but good,tasting burgers from Sanders
    Car magazines and wrong prescriptions from Mr. LaCavera and the other old guy at Cunningham's
    Haircuts at the Outer-Warren barbershop[[No,I never got a "Joe Special")
    Ice cream from Alinosi's
    Dragging a shopping cart to the A&P, or to Wrigley's[[later-Food Giant) or even earlier,going to the Food Fair[[where DeRonne's was)
    Riding a bike down Balduck Hill in the summer[[of course)
    The S&H Green Stamp redemption store

-Kresges on mack and ? selling fish and turtles and the old soda fountain.
    -A&P on mack and ? and their coffee beans you ground and the end of the register
    -the first Maloof's where we all bought our confirmation rings.

Anyone remember Joe's barber shop or Tina's Pizza on Harper east of Cadieux?

Maof: I used to hang out at the Kaleidoscope a lot! One of the women who owned it and worked there was the mother of a classmate. I used to buy the gift wrapping yarn by the yard and use it for hair ribbons. Also picked up the latest flyer for the Grande Ballroom concerts.

I also picked up the weekly CKLW and WKNR Top 30 lists at the Kresge's on Warren and Outer Drive.

Boy, do I wish I still had those Grande Ballroom flyers and the Top 30 lists!!

Shalla Chevrolet
    Zimmerman's Pharmacy
    Adamo Cleaners
    Jake's Bicycles
    Puffs n Pills
    The A&P on East Warren
    Pecars

I remember all the places mentioned above.
    Kensingtony, the place you are trying to remember is Downing's. By Earls bike shop. Remember Blaines Hamburgers? Would only seat about 8.

What area of the city of the are you reminicing about? Northeast side?

Civic Theater--Saturday matinees. 25 centats for everyone. Sometimes a feature and a whole bunch of shorts, sometimes a "cartoon carnival" with three hours of shorts. If the feature was a western, after it let out there were massive gun battles with 45 caliber index fingers all the way home up Whittier in the vacant lots that still predominated in the business district along Whittier.

Polar Bear on Wayburn and Whittier for ice cream.

Ureel Hardware on [[I think) McKinney and Whittier. The guy had anything you needed, but his store was so disorganized it was impossible to find it.

Crazy Harry who ran Archie's drug store on Roxbury and Whittier. Kids were always giving him a hard time so he would leave the store and chase them,

The shopping district on Houston between Kelly and Hayes [[Grinells, Sanders, Kresge, etc)

Big Bear Supermarket and Packers Supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    What area of the city of the are you reminicing about? Northeast side?
    The far eastside, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    How about Earl's Bike Shop on Harper west of St. Matthews... .
    Yeah, Earl's. He also sold Lionel electric trains.

Half the kids in our neighborhood went to St Matthews and the other half to the public schools [[Wayne and Arthur).

Dominican High School on Whittier for the Catholic girls. The Catholic boys were bussed somewhere for a Catholic boys high school.

Lutheran kids went to Peace, Balfour and Warren. Or Bethany on Chandler Park Drive. Pick-up games of football and baseball on the fields at Cannon Rec Center, in front of Finney High. Bike rides through Grosse Pointe, down to the lake. Used to be a greenhouse at Harvard and E. Warren, then the Clock Restaurant. Nick really had the cat's at the Carom Club! Whew! Mr. C's on E. Warren took the place of Pill and Puffs, they originated their pizza at that location, nowhere else was quite the same...girls got their hair done at Sybil's school of Beauty. Any one remember when they tore up Harvard sidewalks and installed a new gas line about 10 ft underground? All the guys loved that ditch! M and M Hardware with the creaky floors. The Woodshop on E. Warren.

M&M pet shop, lik-a-dip ice cream, Crackers Restaurant at Devonshire & Warren, BJ's for their choclate pie, Henny Penny chicken. The Onyx Bar

Fish place on Canyon and Mack?

Thanks,rider,for the memory jog about Downing's.Blaine's is where Louie's Corned Beef is now[[if my sieve-like memory is working correctly).
    Earl's Bike shop is where I got my 5 speed SchwinnStingray Fastback for my 14th birthday.They sold models and HO scale slot cars there too.