Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New glass on the Argonaut building

I'm not sure how long the glass has been up for but I know its fairly recent and thought I'd post some pics

Attachment 484

Attachment 486

Attachment 485

Attachment 488

Attachment 487

This is what the building looked like before

Attachment 489

Attachment 490

whats the argonaut building?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    whats the argonaut building?
    It's on 2nd and Milwaukee, behind the old GM headquarters in New Center. CCS bought it recently, and is rehabbing it.

Since I've never been inside the Argonaut Building.... is there an interior courtyard or light well? It does seem rather bulky to be a solid building.

I love the striping along the top around the window arches.... very reminiscent of Romanesque cathedral architecture.

Thank you, Artds. That is one great building. Kudos to CCS.

This building looks amazing

CCS is also starting a Fine Arts high school. This will be in the Garfield Building.

The Argonaut Building was the main styling and engineering building for GM before the Tech Center was built out in Warren.

So when you think of Harley Earl and those Cadillac's with the Dagmars, think Argonaut.

--
    Those new windows look wonderful. Hats off to CCS for taking up the task. Thx for for posting those ARTDS

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The Argonaut Building was the main styling and engineering building for GM before the Tech Center was built out in Warren.

So when you think of Harley Earl and those Cadillac's with the Dagmars, think Argonaut.

--
    Those new windows look wonderful. Hats off to CCS for taking up the task. Thx for for posting those ARTDS
    Gnome... I was going to ask about that... thanks for the info.... a wonderful building.

Too bad that wonderful building is overshadowed [[literally as well as figuratively) by the larger Cadillac Centre [[former GM HQ) next door. Although it really adds to the density of New Center, it would also make for a great standalone structure whose main facade is practically hidden by its' larger neighbor.

at least it aint empty no more

Thursday, April 23, 2009

College for Creative Studies gambles $136M on renovated Argonaut building
    Michael H. Hodges / The Detroit News

http://detnews.com/article/20090423/BIZ/904230368/1001/College+for+Creative+Studies+gambles+$136M+on+reno vated+Argonaut+building

Does any know if CCS will be offering tours of the building once their renovations are complete? I'd be interested in taking one.
    First time poster, by the way.

Mauser,

Where did you get the information about anything happening to the Garfield Building?? The News article states there's going to be "an 800-student arts-themed 6-12 charter school". Why would they even think of even opening up another high school to compete with an existing tenant?

Was your information erroneous?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Since I've never been inside the Argonaut Building.... is there an interior courtyard or light well? It does seem rather bulky to be a solid building.

I love the striping along the top around the window arches.... very reminiscent of Romanesque cathedral architecture.
    Once upon a time, a very long time ago, I worked in the Argonaut Building. Back then, part of GM's salary payroll IT worked out of there.

There isn't any interior courtyard. The floors were solid offices or seas of cubicles. The outside wall offices were reserved for managers or some conference rooms.

There are 'tunnels' that connect the Argonaut, the GM, and the Fisher buildings. Many a night I walked those tunnels after working late into the night. Quite eerie.
    Last edited by Maxine1958; April-23-09 at 02:57 PM.

here are some images and renderings from the CCS website

http://www.collegeforcreativestudies...ut/argo_images

looks really impressive. my only criticism is the surface parking lot along Cass ave. But who really cares when there is a beautiful newly renovated 11 story building behind it! and besides, it can be built on in the future. And parking, i've heard, is a pain in New Center [[i wouldn't know because I don't have a car)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    Once upon a time, a very long time ago, I worked in the Argonaut Building. Back then, part of GM's salary payroll IT worked out of there.

There isn't any interior courtyard. The floors were solid offices or seas of cubicles. The outside wall offices were reserved for managers or some conference rooms.

There are 'tunnels' that connect the Argonaut, the GM, and the Fisher buildings. Many a night I walked those tunnels after working late into the night. Quite eerie.
    Look at the microsoft map link above [[or google map it). There appears to be an interior courtyard on the west end of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    here are some images and renderings from the CCS website

http://www.collegeforcreativestudies...ut/argo_images
    wow I hadn't seen the interior renderings before now. It looks like they're going to have some really neat workspace.

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    Look at the microsoft map link above [[or google map it). There appears to be an interior courtyard on the west end of the building.
    Well I can't say that I was in every part of the building back then, but I sort of remember being in some conference rooms that faced west in the late afternoon. Sun streaming in the windows. So maybe that open area wasn't apparent from my perspective. Can't imagine the lower floors would have gotten much light. I know the 'inner' areas, the 'sea' of cubicles, never saw the sunlight directly. I was up on the 11th floor if I remember correctly. Not so fond memories of that assignment.

CFABDETROIT Guest

I'm glad to see this

The building is named after the Argonaut Realty Division of GM, a name dating from no later than 1935. Among other things, it designed and engineered many of GM's factories.

CFABDETROIT Guest

And designed by Albert Kahn, I love his buildings.

LodgeDodger Guest

I, too, love this building. We talk about it on the Automotive Heritage Tour.