Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Call me, Broadway 3-5856

Call me and we'll go to the show. There's so many - the Redford, Norwest, Great Lakes, Irving, Royal.
    Call me and we'll throw crab apples at the Dutch Elm spray jeeps.
    Call me and we'll take the bus down Grand River and notice how things change east of Greenfield.
    Call me and we'll hang out at the Rice Bowl Inn.
    Call me and you can help me deliver the Shopping News.
    Call me and let's get penny candy at Perks Party store.
    Call me and we'll throw clay across the big ditch which will become the Southfield ExpressWay.
    Call me on a hot summer night, and we'll sneak out of our houses and just walk the neighborhood, and end up at Mary's house where some girls are camped out behind her house in a tent.
    Call me and we'll go eat a million hot dogs on my neighbor's front yard to celebrate Denny and Al and Willie and the guys.
    BUT don't call me as a realtor and scare my folks into moving.
    Don't call me to say negros will move in with their outrage and orange painted shutters and garage doors.
    Don't tell me there are "modern" fill in lots still available in Birmingham, Southfield, and Farmington Hills with family rooms, and close proximity to all the new highways.
    Things are fine, this is my city, plenty of places to go, things to do. I'm young, I want to be a part of all this. And the bad things will get better.
    Call me.

Like your post. The Shopping News!

That really brings it back. Broadway 3 exchange! My boyfriend had a number like that. Shopping News, I miss that. "They're across Livernois now." I remember that, too. Two sides to that wall. Rice Bowl! So, the only thing I don't remember is Perk's. Where was that?

Default I called you

I don't think that was you on the VM.

Perks was on Gd. River btw. Grandmont and Woodmont and closed in late 70's. A friend of mine who grew up on Woodmont was in convenience store in Florida about 10 years ago, talked up the cashier, who turned out to be the owner of Perks.

Default Woodmont?

I knew a lot of families on Woodmont from SMR. Was your friends family in school at SMR in the 70's - early 80's?

I remember my buddies being big time bummed when Perks closed.

My old number was BR2-2031. Went to SMR, the Great Lakes and lived at Grand River and Greenfield on weekends. First job was at the JC Pennys there. I miss those days in that neighborhood.

Linda, my Mom went to SMR and worked at that Penny's. This would have probably been the late 50's.

I knew a couple of Lindas in that area. Probably a different timeframe though.

My number still is in the BR3 exchange... except for the last 35 years is has been called 273.