Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Terror raid in Dearborn, Detroit

Anyone seeing this stuff on the news? It looks like a helluva story.
    Helicopters landing in the middle of streets, jihad, police dogs getting capped...

http://freep.com/article/20091028/NE...rborn--Detroit

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21454119/detail.html

Where does it say "terrorism" anywhere in that story?

Just trying to keep it the 12th safest city in the U.S. Yea!

Wait, no I am a little angry here.

Are you just assuming because there was an FBI raid in DEARBORN that it has anything to do with Terrorism???

WDIV headline reads:

"BREAKING: 11 Arrested In FBI Terror Raids"

The word terror is used.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Wait, no I am a little angry here.

Are you just assuming because there was an FBI raid in DEARBORN that it has anything to do with Terrorism???
    It's in the frickin' headline, dude. And where is it in the story? Try the FIRST SENTENCE of the Local 4 article: "The Detroit Federal Bureau of Investigations has arrested 11 people Wednesday afternoon during a series of terror raids on the west side of Detroit and Dearborn."

And if you want to try pullin' that "religion card" on me, one of the raids was in Detroit. Back down.

Where does it say "terrorism" anywhere in that story?
    DETROIT -- The Detroit Federal Bureau of Investigations has arrested 11 people Wednesday afternoon during a series of terror raids on the west side of Detroit and Dearborn.

From ClickonDetroit

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    It's in the frickin' headline, dude. And where is it in the story? Try the FIRST SENTENCE of the Local 4 article: "The Detroit Federal Bureau of Investigations has arrested 11 people Wednesday afternoon during a series of terror raids on the west side of Detroit and Dearborn."

And if you want to try pullin' that "religion card" on me, one of the raids was in Detroit. Back down.
    Mentioned nowhere in the Freep article, not to mention the Dearborn Police Cheif declined to say what the raids were related to.

Which religion card would that be?

Mentioned nowhere in the Freep article, not to mention the Dearborn Police Cheif declined to say what the raids were related to.

Which religion card would that be?
    You asked me where in the article I got "terror raid" from. And I told you. It's in the first sentence of the WDIV piece. You keep trying to infer that I'm inferring something. I'm merely stating the reported facts.

The Detroit News is running the headline that the fellow killed was the LEADER of a Mosque. This will not go over well.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...d-in-FBI-raids

Maybe it was terror/religion [[extremisim) related:

The Detroit leader of a nationwide fundamentalist Islamic group was fatally shot during an FBI raid Wednesday morning.

During a series of raids, the FBI arrested 11 people who have ties to the group called the Ummah, which translates to “the brotherhood.”

-- WDIV website

Channel 7 now reporting "TERROR suspects charged."

It's racial profiling, obviously.

Doesn't seem to have hit the wires yet.

lilpup Guest

backstory on Jamil Al-Amin, mentioned by suspect as told in the criminal complaint:

http://www.danielpipes.org/107/jamil...in-a-muslim-oj

Hey, d.mcc, no one said "terrorism" except for you. The article and everyone else used the word "terror".

d.mcc, I think you are being politically incorrect and should sit in the corner by yourself and think about what you said.

These folks are primarily African-American radicals who have converted to their own form of Islam. Not Arabs, and not really conventional Muslims. Their leader is H. Rap Brown, who some of you may remember from back in the late '60s.

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    These folks are primarily African-American radicals who have converted to their own form of Islam. Not Arabs, and not really conventional Muslims.
    Because only Arabs are muslim, correct? If you believe that the people in Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and a good chunk of Africa just to start would like to speak to you.

So retracting my statement of disbelief on the original poster, perhaps I should direct my displeasure at the news media who chose to sensationalize the story with the word terror:

"At least six of those charged -- who face conspiracy, weapons, and stolen goods charges but not terrorism charges -- were in federal custody late Wednesday afternoon."

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    Because only Arabs are muslim, correct? If you believe that the people in Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and a good chunk of Africa just to start would like to speak to you.
    No I don't believe that. I've been to Pakistan, Malaysia, Turkey and countries in Africa populated with non-Arab Muslims. I said it because a lot of the comments on the newspapers' sites [[yeah, I know I shouldn't read them, but...), and a bit of what was starting here, were drawing conclusions about the ethnicity/origin of the people involved because of the use of the magic word "Dearborn."

I think you read me a bit wrong there, but you're right, the use of the word "Arab" was sloppy on my part. I was using it in its rather unfortunate Detroit sense, rather than its real, more limited, meaning.

United States Attorney Terrence Berg, Eastern District of Michigan, Andrew G. Arena, Special Agent in Charge [[SAC), Federal Bureau of Investigation, [[FBI), Detroit, Michigan, and Police Chief Warren Evans, Detroit Police Department [[DPD), Detroit, Michigan announced a federal complaint was unsealed today charging Luqman Ameen Abdullah, a.k.a.Christopher Thomas, and 10 others with conspiracy to commit several federal crimes, including theft from interstate shipments, mail fraud to obtain the proceeds of arson, illegal possession and sale of firearms, and tampering with motor vehicle identification numbers. The eleven defendants are members of a group that is alleged to have engaged in violent activity over a period of many years, and known to be armed.

In light of the information that the charged individuals were believed to be armed and dangerous, special safeguards were employed by law enforcement to secure the arrests without confrontation. During the arrests today, the suspects were ordered to surrender. At one location, four suspects surrendered and were arrested without incident. Luqman Ameen Abdullah did not surrender and fired his weapon. An exchange of gun fire followed and Abdullah was killed. An FBI canine was also killed during the exchange.

Abdullah was the leader of part of a group which calls themselves Ummah [["the brotherhood"), a group of mostly African-American converts to Islam, which seeks to establish a separate Sharia-law governed state within the United States. The Ummah is ruled by Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin, formerly known as H. Rapp Brown, who is serving a state sentence in USP Florence, CO, ADMAX, for the murder of two police officers in Georgia. As detailed in the affidavit in support of the criminal complaint that was unsealed today, Abdullah has espoused the use of violence against law enforcement, and has trained members of his group in use of firearms and martial arts in anticipation of some type of action against the government. Abdullah and other members of this group were known to carry firearms and other weapons.
    Last edited by Meddle; October-28-09 at 11:51 PM.

They had a shooting range in the basement of their former City of Detroit mosque and advocated stealing cars, tvs, and burning down buildings for insurance to finance their cause. Here's what the Windsor Star said:

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/shoo...539/story.html
    FBI shoot, kill Islamic leader in Dearborn

DEARBORN, Mich. - The leader of a radical Islamic group who allegedly preached violence against the government to his mostly African American followers was shot and killed Wednesday in an FBI raid in Dearborn, near Detroit.
    The FBI said it employed "special safeguards" to secure the safe arrest of 11 men accused of operating an organized crime ring in the Detroit area who were known to have "espoused the use of violence against law enforcement."
    But Luqman Abdullah, 53, refused to surrender and began firing when he was confronted in a warehouse in Dearborn, Michigan, the FBI said in a statement.
    Abdullah was killed during the exchange of gunfire but nobody else was hurt, an FBI spokeswoman said.
    An FBI criminal complaint described Abudullah as a "highly placed leader of a nationwide radical fundamentalist Sunni group consisting primarily of African Americans, some of whom converted to Islam while they were servicing sentences in various prisons."
    The FBI monitored Abdullah for years with the help of informants who brought back taped conversations and stories of how he used the mosque to train his followers for a violent jihad.
    Abdullah often boasted of killing police officers and of his plans to "take out the US government," the FBI said in a 45-page charge sheet.
    He also spoke of his willingness to die for his cause and yelled in one sermon "do not carry a pistol if you're going to give it up to police. You give them a bullet," it said.
    Even the children were trained in martial arts, the informants said, and evidence of a shooting range was found in the basement when the congregation was evicted by the city of Detroit for non-payment of property taxes in January.
    Their primary mission was to establish a separate, sovereign Islamic state within the borders of the United States that would be ruled by their spiritual leader, former Black Panther Jamil Abdullah al-Amin, who is currently in jail for shooting two police officers.
    But the charge sheet alleges Abdullah used jihad to justify stealing cars, televisions, guns, fur coats and burning down buildings for the insurance money.
    Three of the 11 men accused of participating in the crime ring remain at large. They face a variety of charges including fraud, conspiracy, selling stolen goods, and illegal possession of firearms.
    "Members and former members of the Masjid al-Haqq have stated they are willing to do anything Abdullah instructs and/or preaches, even including criminal conduct and acts of violence," the criminal complaint alleges.
    It portrayed a paranoid and angry man with a short fuse who hated police, spoke of vast government conspiracies and was determined to fight for a "violent revolution" and kill anyone who betrayed his trust.
    "We're not fake terrorists, we're the real terrorists," he allegedly told one informant after getting pulled over by the police in January.
    "If they are coming to get me I'll just strap a bomb on and blow up everybody," he allegedly told followers on another occasion.
    © Copyright [[c) The Windsor Star

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    They had a shooting range in the basement of their former City of Detroit mosque and advocated stealing cars, tvs, and burning down buildings for insurance to finance their cause. Here's what the Windsor Star said:

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/shoo...539/story.html
    FBI shoot, kill Islamic leader in Dearborn

DEARBORN, Mich. - The leader of a radical Islamic group who allegedly preached violence against the government to his mostly African American followers was shot and killed Wednesday in an FBI raid in Dearborn, near Detroit.
    The FBI said it employed "special safeguards" to secure the safe arrest of 11 men accused of operating an organized crime ring in the Detroit area who were known to have "espoused the use of violence against law enforcement."
    But Luqman Abdullah, 53, refused to surrender and began firing when he was confronted in a warehouse in Dearborn, Michigan, the FBI said in a statement.
    Abdullah was killed during the exchange of gunfire but nobody else was hurt, an FBI spokeswoman said.
    An FBI criminal complaint described Abudullah as a "highly placed leader of a nationwide radical fundamentalist Sunni group consisting primarily of African Americans, some of whom converted to Islam while they were servicing sentences in various prisons."
    The FBI monitored Abdullah for years with the help of informants who brought back taped conversations and stories of how he used the mosque to train his followers for a violent jihad.
    Abdullah often boasted of killing police officers and of his plans to "take out the US government," the FBI said in a 45-page charge sheet.
    He also spoke of his willingness to die for his cause and yelled in one sermon "do not carry a pistol if you're going to give it up to police. You give them a bullet," it said.
    Even the children were trained in martial arts, the informants said, and evidence of a shooting range was found in the basement when the congregation was evicted by the city of Detroit for non-payment of property taxes in January.
    Their primary mission was to establish a separate, sovereign Islamic state within the borders of the United States that would be ruled by their spiritual leader, former Black Panther Jamil Abdullah al-Amin, who is currently in jail for shooting two police officers.
    But the charge sheet alleges Abdullah used jihad to justify stealing cars, televisions, guns, fur coats and burning down buildings for the insurance money.
    Three of the 11 men accused of participating in the crime ring remain at large. They face a variety of charges including fraud, conspiracy, selling stolen goods, and illegal possession of firearms.
    "Members and former members of the Masjid al-Haqq have stated they are willing to do anything Abdullah instructs and/or preaches, even including criminal conduct and acts of violence," the criminal complaint alleges.
    It portrayed a paranoid and angry man with a short fuse who hated police, spoke of vast government conspiracies and was determined to fight for a "violent revolution" and kill anyone who betrayed his trust.
    "We're not fake terrorists, we're the real terrorists," he allegedly told one informant after getting pulled over by the police in January.
    "If they are coming to get me I'll just strap a bomb on and blow up everybody," he allegedly told followers on another occasion.
    © Copyright [[c) The Windsor Star
    I am glad that the FBI had squashed this terrorist plot. Anyone who want to do harm to our country should be stopped. God Bless America.

It's national news now.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Doesn't seem to have hit the wires yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast