Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New home sales drop? Fix trade now!

Some say the economy is on the road to recovery? New home sales are down. Around 4% nationally, and 7% in the midwest, and that is with the $8000 first time home buyer still in effect, which is due to expire at the end of next month. December should be grizzly for real estate sales.

The only way out of this is to address trade. Guard our existing businesses from impossible competition, unfair duty and tax by other nations deterring export. Retain and restore our nation's jobs. It's the only way.

Quote:"[[AP)
    Sales of new homes dropped unexpectedly last month as the effects of a soon-to-expire tax credit for first-time owners started to wane."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5432935.shtml
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; October-28-09 at 10:41 AM.

Increase tarriffs on imports, much like foreign countries tax the dirt out of our exports. There is nothing wrong with a self suffecient economy. Build it here...buy it here.

I'm curious, Sstashmoo. How would "fixing trade" help the housing market?

Quote: "How would "fixing trade" help the housing market?"

Oh I don't know, maybe if US companies didn't have to compete with retail prices a few thousand percent lower, and no import duties on those goods coming in. If US companies didn't have to drop their prices even more to offset import duties in other countries to compete, some may manage to stay in business. You know US companies do create jobs, that provide incomes, so folks can buy things like houses, cars, health insurance etc.

The trade situation is at the root of our problems, I've been harping this for years, and although my predictions sound all doom and gloom, don't shoot the messenger, it's happening. Bill Clinton should be strung up by his bent member. I know I know Reagan blah blah blah. Clinton, both him and that Nazi wife of his with Al Gore got this Nafta and China trade rolling like it is today. Shame on Obama for not doing anything about it. 12 Trillion and counting, looks like priming the pump ain't working. Just like I said it wouldn't.

ccbatson Guest

Is it the objective of the media to confuse the public? Last week, the reports were that, because of credits, housing markets were improved...??? Huh, it can't be both improved and worsened?

More reason for Obama to fear I think. People know what the state of the economy is to them when they go and vote. News reports contrary to their reality is interpreted as deception by the media and the administration.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Is it the objective of the media to confuse the public? Last week, the reports were that, because of credits, housing markets were improved...??? Huh, it can't be both improved and worsened?

More reason for Obama to fear I think. People know what the state of the economy is to them when they go and vote. News reports contrary to their reality is interpreted as deception by the media and the administration.
    Why is it all Obama's doing that economy is in such bad shape? Do the policies of the right and Bush not have anything to do with this? Orrrrrrrrr, perhaps the economy just tanked on January 19th...

Lorax Guest

"December should be grizzly for real estate sales. "

Grizzly like this?

http://www.taxidermy.net/reference/m...y-58-Mouth.jpg

Or Grisly like this-

http://www.troma.com/poultrygeist/fx/scottsimpson02.jpg

Just having some Halloween fun with ya!

Bear market, wake up

I understand that you pin all of our woes on NAFTA and various other trade policies, Sstashmoo. I was just wondering how the trade problem affects the housing market specifically.

Or was it just a piece of bad news picked at random to demonstrate that everything is bad, and trade is to blame? That's something I'd have expected from Cc [[with "libs" or Obama as the primary villain), but I thought maybe you were thinking of some direct linkage between the two.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Bear market, wake up
    OK, then grizzly like this:

http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/image...e-the-Pooh.jpg

The only way out of this is to address trade. Guard our existing businesses from impossible competition, unfair duty and tax by other nations deterring export. Retain and restore our nation's jobs. It's the only way.

Or, you know, you could JUST NOT BUY FOREIGN-MADE PRODUCTS. Does the government have to do everything for you?

http://www.buyamerican.com/

http://www.madeinusa.org/

Quote: "JUST NOT BUY FOREIGN-MADE PRODUCTS."

Wow... I never thought of that. It's so simple. Attention everyone: STOP BUYING FOREIGN-MADE PRODUCTS. [[crickets)

Quote: "JUST NOT BUY FOREIGN-MADE PRODUCTS."

Wow... I never thought of that. It's so simple. Attention everyone: STOP BUYING FOREIGN-MADE PRODUCTS. [[crickets)
    You're the one bitching about trade. There wouldn't be a trade imbalance if we weren't buying billions of dollars of plastic junk from China.

Exercise some personal responsibility rather than spending your time trying to be cute.

I don't have to try to be cute, and expecting everyone to just stop buying imported goods is off the scale uber-naive. Go to a WalMart and try to find something American made. Good luck.

Due to our ridiculous trade policies there are few US made goods even left,compared to the amount in the past that actually sustained our economy. For many items now, there simply isn't an alternative. And I respect these folks that start websites and list a handful of US companies, but to be honest with oneself, their efforts are futile. It isn't working. The Government is going to have to reverse some of the most damaging trade policies ever enacted.

Don't worry Ghetto, like minded people like me will get it fixed for you, as you and yours bury your head in the sand and pretend our manufacturing sector and economy isn't dissolving away to nothing.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; October-29-09 at 11:13 AM.

I don't have to try to be cute, and expecting everyone to just stop buying imported goods is off the scale uber-naive. Go to a WalMart and try to find something American made. Good luck.

Due to our ridiculous trade policies there are few US made goods even left,compared to the amount in the past that actually sustained our economy. For many items now, there simply isn't an alternative. And I respect these folks that start websites and list a handful of US companies, but to be honest with oneself, their efforts are futile. It isn't working. The Government is going to have to reverse some of the most damaging trade policies ever enacted.

I wonder which one of us is being naive. You seem to have the self-contradicting position that you want to save American manufacturing, but you don't believe that we actually make anything anymore. What brand is your computer? Your running shoes? The pants you put on your ass every morning?

So you can't find American-made products at Walmart? Then don't shop at Walmart. Yes, we're each only one person, but you could at least put your money where your mouth is. If you keep purchasing Chinese junk, don't be shocked when we have enormous trade imbalances.

You don't think there are American "alternatives"? Show me a product that isn't made anywhere in the United States.

I'm not saying we haven't got ourselves into some terrible trade policies based on tragically-flawed thinking that an economy based on selling vinyl-sided houses and money manipulation is somehow more sophisticated than one where goods of value are manufactured. But to complain about the situation while refusing to do what is within your means to effect change is simply hypocritical.

Quote: "What brand is your computer? Your running shoes? The pants you put on your ass every morning?"

If you knew how ignorant and redundant that argument is you'd stop using it.

Quote: "Show me a product that isn't made anywhere in the United States."

Are you serious?

I choose to put blame where it belongs- on the Government that changed policy that caused our current dilemma. You choose to blame everybody for adapting to that policy. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; October-29-09 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Or, you know, you could JUST NOT BUY FOREIGN-MADE PRODUCTS. Does the government have to do everything for you?

http://www.buyamerican.com/

http://www.madeinusa.org/
    Sorry ghettopalmetto, but it's not that simple. One reason is that the availability of American made products is being reduced every single day! Try finding domestically produced insulated overalls, fishing reels and 50/50 cotton/ polyester t-shirts. If you do please let me know where you find them as I have been looking for over a year now.

I used to buy Fruit of the Loom "Best" T's all the time. They were made in the USA and held up well. Now they are made in El Salvador . I used to buy Penn Senator fishing reels that were proudly made in the USA, now they are made in China and Malaysia . I used to buy Carhartt coats that were made in the USA, now they are all made in Mexico . Now for the astonishing part. All of these companies have moved their factories oversees in the last 3 years! What is it going to be like in 3 more years ?

I put my money where my mouth is and buy American made products even when the price is higher, but it's becoming an impossible task. Our government has a responsibility to Americans first and the rest of the world second. I'm not ashamed to say that I could care less if "free trade" has increased the standard of living in China or India. I can tell you that it has not benefited middle class America!

ccbatson Guest

Wait, haven't you heard? 3.5 percent growth folks...never mind that it is coming from an infusion of stolen taxpayer dollars [[and borrowed money) via the "stimulus" and none of this is real growth...no jobs, no increase in privat investment or consumption into the real economy....who cares, the recession is over. WooHoo.

Batts, Yes and it should be alarm bells for us all, that the infusion of those borrowed dollars are having such little effect.

ccbatson Guest

Dollars with huge strings attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Sorry ghettopalmetto, but it's not that simple. One reason is that the availability of American made products is being reduced every single day! Try finding domestically produced insulated overalls, fishing reels and 50/50 cotton/ polyester t-shirts. If you do please let me know where you find them as I have been looking for over a year now.

I used to buy Fruit of the Loom "Best" T's all the time. They were made in the USA and held up well. Now they are made in El Salvador . I used to buy Penn Senator fishing reels that were proudly made in the USA, now they are made in China and Malaysia . I used to buy Carhartt coats that were made in the USA, now they are all made in Mexico . Now for the astonishing part. All of these companies have moved their factories oversees in the last 3 years! What is it going to be like in 3 more years ?

I put my money where my mouth is and buy American made products even when the price is higher, but it's becoming an impossible task. Our government has a responsibility to Americans first and the rest of the world second. I'm not ashamed to say that I could care less if "free trade" has increased the standard of living in China or India. I can tell you that it has not benefited middle class America!
    It is unfortunate that many of our products are now being made overseas. Our economy needs to have those manufacturing jobs, because regardless of what free marketeers think, we cannot survive as a nation of lawyers and dirt farmers.

My reasoning is that while trade policies may be to blame for jobs shifting overseas--and by extension, how states poach jobs from one another with massive subsidies--we can't piss and moan strictly about trade policy while continuing to buy Chinese at the expense of the manufacturing sector that we do have. It's a combination of both that's sending us on a road to ruin. We little people can't do everything, but why should that excuse us from doing what's within our means?

Frankly, I think it might make for an interesting thread to list manufacturers of quality American-made products, sort of like Angie's List, so that we might all better educate ourselves on the options that we have.

Quote: "Dollars with huge strings attached."

And as any business minded person knows, as debt increases, freedom and control decrease.

ccbatson Guest

Correct, inflation, increased interest rates, devaluation of the currency...dogs and cats sleeping together...mass hysteria [[although sadly not sarcastic)

Quote: "for an interesting thread to list manufacturers of quality American-made products,"

You'd be alarmed at how many products are not made here at all anymore, especially in the industrial electronics realm. You'd also be alarmed at how much of our proprietary information is being lost [[stolen, this country is being raped of it's technology) in the process. And of the general consumer items that are, they aren't grabbing much of the available market because of the huge difference in retail price, hence why so many companies are going teats up and the ones that remain are in hock to their eyeballs. Look at the Big 3 right here locally for a good example. If it were not for borrowed Chinese dollars, GM and Chrysler would be gone. Signs of a healthy or recovering economy?

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Correct, inflation, increased interest rates, devaluation of the currency...dogs and cats sleeping together...mass hysteria [[although sadly not sarcastic)
    Yeah, we can see the mass hysteria. Unfortunately, it's not founded on anything, because none of the other conditions you list are in danger of happening.

You already have a bazillion threads on your fiscal paranoia. Back to trade deficits.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast