Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Leadership and the Future of Detroit

After reading the news this morning I decided to compile a short list of Detroit political candidates who have had financial problems related to their mortgages. Is this list complete?

-Charles Pugh
    - Kwame Kenyatta
    - Santeel Jenkins
    - Alberta Tinsley-Talabi
    http://detnews.com/article/20091024/METRO01/910240329

This is in addition to the numerous allegations/convictions of bribery/misdealings involving Monica Conyers, Kwame Kilpatrick, the Kilpatrick family, staff members of Ken Cockrel, Martha Reeves, Cobo Hall directors as well as the criminal records of current and past council and mayoral candidates.

This is also doesn't consider the absolutely insane antics of many current and former council members nor does it consider the fraud/corruption in DPS and other major city departments [[DPD is currently under a federal consent decree for example).

For those that have hope that this city can turner the corner, what gives you this hope in spite of this leadership dillema? It seems that we would be lucky to have merely a "vacuum of leadership" here in Detroit, it appears more that our leaders are actually causing us to regress rather than merely stand still. How is Detroit going to get better in the near and long term with this kind of leadership? Can it be done without any involvement from the city council or inspite of the city council and what does this say about how efforts to revitalize the city should be focused?

With so many smart people committed to turning Detroit around, it's hard even for an optomist like me to believe that things will get better in the short term because of our horrible political leadership. It appears the council elections coming up will not change this situation as so many of the candidates have troubled histories. How can we compete against cities that even marginally have their act together? I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of the board on this matter.
    Last edited by MotownSpartan; October-28-09 at 08:48 AM.

Here's the sad truth:

Corruption and stupidity in leadership are normal in government, in Detroit, in Michigan, across the USA and around the world.

You can easily find it if thats what you want to find.

However, there are some leaders who are capable and are helping move things forward. Thats where you should focus your attention if you want progress.

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Tearing Apart the Leadership and Future of Detroit"?

Obviously corruption happens everywhere but it appears that it is especially bad in Detroit. In fact, it appears that Detroit's government, at almost all levels, is dysfunctional far beyond the norm of most American cities.
    Last edited by MotownSpartan; October-28-09 at 09:14 AM.

None of the candidates on this list are new to the public spotlight. I think there is plenty of other relevant information about these candidates that is available to judge their fitness for public office.

I'm hesitant to establish a connection between personal finances and leadership potential*. In the city where I live, the complaint is that a certain candidate is buying the election due to his immense wealth.

*Charles Pugh is the exception, since he tied his own financial situation to his political aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    None of the candidates on this list are new to the public spotlight. I think there is plenty of other relevant information about these candidates that is available to judge their fitness for public office.

I'm hesitant to establish a connection between personal finances and leadership potential*. In the city where I live, the complaint is that a certain candidate is buying the election due to his immense wealth.

*Charles Pugh is the exception, since he tied his own financial situation to his political aspirations.
    No doubt there are problems everywhere but not all problems are equal. Detroit's political leadership problems appear far worse than almost any other major American city I've lived in or visited. Here in Detroit we have great urban theorists, people coming up with new plans to re-organize city neighborhoods, streamline government, develop the riverfront, etc. and it appears that city council is utterly incompetent to adequately advance any of these goals.

I also agree with you about the relationship [[or lack thereof) between personal finances and leadership ability but in this specific case, [[when you have a city council that routinely embarasses the city and that most objective persons would consider a disgrace) I think there is a good argument that we should be hoping for candidates with clean backgrounds.

Retroit Guest

When you consider that many of the voters have similar problems to the politicians, it is not unreasonable to assume that all will be forgiven in the voting booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    When you consider that many of the voters have similar problems to the politicians, it is not unreasonable to assume that all will be forgiven in the voting booth.
    As long as their Minister tells them its ok, Detroit is a prime example of the LACK of definition between Church and State

ziggyselbin Guest

Everybody is doing it so it must be ok........is that the reasoning here? This line of reasoning is commonly used in traffic court for example with little swaying of the judge.

Shouldn't the bar be a little higher?

-Charles Pugh
    - Kwame Kenyatta
    - Santeel Jenkins
    - Alberta Tinsley-Talabi

Those are the new leaders for the New Detroit City Council before this EVIL ward system comes to being.

Who's buying the election?

Can we find out who's funding Saunteel Jenkins - that she can afford bus cards and everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    -Charles Pugh
    - Kwame Kenyatta
    - Santeel Jenkins
    - Alberta Tinsley-Talabi

Those are the new leaders for the New Detroit City Council before this EVIL ward system comes to being.
    what is so evil about a ward system?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    what is so evil about a ward system?
    I might be wrong, but I think there was sarcasm in the statement.

Did anyone see Barrow on TV last Sunday morning? Boy, did he sound like a first rate scumbag with his message to the morons. "They stole Cobo from us. Dave Bing isn't one of us." Sounds like he doesn't have anything different to offer so he has to bend the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSpartan View Post
    For those that have hope that this city can turner the corner, what gives you this hope in spite of this leadership dillema?
    I don't think Detroit nor Michigan can turn the corner. You didn't mention the incredible economic dilemna this entire state is facing. This state is done with, you can stick a fork in it. Michigan, and Detroit especially, will NEVER be what it once was ever again.

Fuck Michigan.