Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Railroad tunnel

Default Railroad tunnel

Am I the only one who did not know about the railroad tunnel under the river?

Was, or is there still, an under-the-river tunnel to Zug Island?

Default Re: railroad tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by larrym View Post
    Maybe you could post a link that tells us more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by larrym View Post
    I don't think you're the ONLY one, but maybe one of the few.

If I had known I would probably have gotten in trouble, I was quite adventerous and considered myself a great urban explorer when I was young and foolish. There is video of a train coming out of it on youtube and if you look at google maps you can find the other end of it in windsor.

It's pretty cool to think that they built that and the car tunnel so long ago, and they still are in use.

7. Default

The rail tunnel was built in 1910. The car Tunnel in 1929, opening in 1930.

The last time I was through the car tunnel I swore it would, indeed, be the last time. Between the claustophobia and the water running down the walls, that was it for me!

I can't find any pictures on the web of the tunnel, but memory says it was operated by electric engines until sometime in the early 50's, right? I believe when electrification ended the locos went to Cleveland Union Terminal but I may be wrong.

One major problem with the current bores are they aren't tall or wide enough. They'll take double stacked containers, but not the new hi-cube double stacks, as witnessed from this Windsor Star article from last June:

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/st...0-bc088c97447f

It's the same basic problem [[on a smaller scale) that forced the GTW/CN to continue with a carfloat operation between Port Huron and Sarnia until the new tunnel was built.

I think Andrew has a picture of the old Canadian Pacific station in Windsor that was just south of the tunnel mouth. Burned down a couple of years ago......
    Last edited by douglasm; March-14-09 at 03:52 PM. Reason: ad some worthless information

Default rail tunner

I would be nice if the amtrack train could run through that tunnel. You could take a train from Detroit to Toronto non-stop.

At one time that was the plan, in the same way the Niagara Rainbow ran from MCS, through the tunnel, to Buffalo. There was talk about resuming service east from Detroit through Ontario a few years ago, using the ex CP station in Windsor, not too far from the tunnel mouth. BTW, I found this picture on the web of the Rainbow exiting the tunnel......

Attachment 51
    Last edited by Lowell; April-25-09 at 09:19 PM.

Stosh Guest

I think that the customs agents in Windsor would have a little problem with that theory. Non stop that is.

So would using the CP station, seeing as it burned down four or five years ago......

Hard to believe no one had sense enough to check the dimensions of the tunnel and the load before they sent it down the track.

What happened to the "jobs tunnel" folks who wanted to convert the tunnel into a truck crossing?

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this tunnel the same reason that Matty Maroun owns MCS yet does nothing to protect or restore it? He bought the property for the tunnel, not the station; correct? It's just a bonus that he can sit there and watch the station deteriorate while making money off of it from movie producers wishing to use it for apocalyptic footage and/or wait for the city to pay for the demo costs. All he really wants is the property. Raises the question why the citizens/visitors of the city are having their parking costs raised while the city refuses to heavily ticket these deliquent building owners. Shameful.

gravitymachine Guest

i am reminded of the tunnel's existance daily. but at least, unlike a road crossing they rarely blow their horns entering. and fyi, only the eastern tube is in use these days. often you will see an east bound train waiting behind the MCS for a westbounder to clear the tunnel before entering.

also, an acquaintance who works for customs and border patrol in the area told me that border jumpers get flattened by trains in there from time to time
    Last edited by gravitymachine; April-02-09 at 08:43 AM.

Yeah, that's been my theory about the "Jobs Tunnel" and Matty's ownership of MCS. If you wanted to turn the Detroit River Tunnel into a trucking tunnel, you'd need a staging area to do construction. And the abandoned railroad yards behind MCS would be the perfect location for that. I believe Matty saw the Detroit River Tunnel Partnership as a threat to his bridge, and so he bought MCS just to deny them a staging area. He could care less about the building. [[And so Cockrel's idea to use federal funds to make Matty pay up or shut up don't matter; Matty would be pleased to own an empty lot if it still frustrated the DRTP's plans.)

Is Matty's plan working though? Who knows. Yesterday, Canadian Pacific sold off controlling interest in the tunnel to the group of investors behind the scheme, Borealis, the investors who run the Ontario municipal employees'' retirement fund. Expect more news shortly.

Honestly, I think all the plans are terrible.

1) The "jobs tunnel" would route a lot of slow, chugging traffic through Corktown spewing particulate emissions, fence off for international security, and likely create a barrier slicing through Corktown and Mexicantown.

2) The Del Rey crossing would slice through a pristine nature preserve on the Ontario side, which the last undeveloped parcel for miles in that area.

3) The twin span would consolidate Matty Moroun's power while routing much more traffic through a part of the city that's actually been a success story.

And what do we get from all this? A few jobs? Lots of pollution? Noise? I don't see what's so great for the region about having more vehicles passing through. My 2 cents.

19. Default

The "jobs tunnel" idea is dead. Their office in Windsor is recently closed up and for lease, and just yesterday CP dumped 2/3 of its share in the tunnel project.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...-borealis.html

Here's the station that burned down. It was originally built as part of the MCRR line.

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=87

Built in 1911, it went up by arson in November 1996.

... yes but which is worse... having a slow progression of trucks lined up [[sometimes for upto a mile)spewing their emissions while waiting a long time to cross the border, or having a steady stream of trucks moving across the border with a minimum of waiting time.

Of course it's not just the crossing, but the wait time to clear customs...

I doubt the "jobs tunnel" scheme is dead. OMERS [[the Canadian pension fund) is still trying to promote it, although their activity at present consists only of issuing a press release twice a year to remind people they still exist. The Canadian Pacific would still like a full-height tunnel to the US to compete with CN's at Sarnia, but it will take them a while before they want to devote the capital to it, and their sale of their share to OMERS suggests it's on the back burner.

Still, the idea of converting the existing rail tunnel to trucks, once a new rail tunnel is bored beneath it, might be workable, if street access to the Detroit end can be arranged. In volume, it could never compete with the Bridge, but it would provide competition for a noticeable fraction of traffic now using the Bridge. [[The tunnel probably wouldn't be open to auto traffic generally, but only to subscribers such as auto companies or other heavy shippers.) The Maroun/Kilpatrick axis seems to have tried to block access to the tunnel by refusal to make City of Detroit land available to it [[I'm unsure as to just what real estate was involved).

Historically, the tunnel was a joint Michigan Central/CPR property, worked by electric engines until Dieselization around 1952. The tunnel was built in a shipyard in Ecorse, and floated in segments to its site, and sunk into a trench dredged in the river bottom, and then covered to keep it from floating up. It is made of cast iron [[recycled railroad-car wheels) and so can never be enlarged. This is why a new tunnel must be dug if more height is wanted. Because the tunnel is so close to the river bottom, ships are ordered not to drop anchor over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I think that the customs agents in Windsor would have a little problem with that theory. Non stop that is.
    The customs agents could perform their checks on the Detroit side before passengers boarded the trains.

There are a few photos of the tunnel, and some of its construction, at the LOC's website, Detroit Publishing Co collection.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...p/~ammem_BrCi:

[[If this link doesn't work, then browse by subject > tunnels: http://rs6.loc.gov/detroit/dethome.html)

My dad worked with a guy once who told a very similar story when it was mentioned I was living in Detroit. His brother and father had successfully immigrated to the US, and he ended up making his way here via the tunnel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast