Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default PBS Whhhhaaaaaa? Public Teevee?

I watched PBS [[channel 6) last night and tonight for a short while each. Not much. I'm not into tee vee. Bill Moyers last night and the antique appraisal show tonight. I actually listened more than watched. Anyway, my point is this : the sponsors were Monsanto, Exxon, Microsoft, Peterson Foundation, Wal-Mart, etc ,etc. The whole line up of huge, free market, corporate behemoths and right-wing, supposed non-profit, think tanks. Man, the lying was unbelievable. It was coming out of their y/k/w's. Spin, spin, spin. Is this what non-commercial, public television has come to? I was blown away. They still ask us to support them with donations? Do they ever have commercials for Shantiqua's Hair Salon or Bill's Plumbing?

Those sponsors are on Fox 2 and WADL.I often wonder while watching PBS,How much money PBS makes from said corporations?

Is this what non-commercial, public television has come to?
    Yes, and it has been like that for quite a while now.

Corporations are often proud to support the PBS because it makes them look good for supporting one of the few really informative sources that is left. PBS is practically the only American outlet that will provide a format for news and discussion that reasonable and/or smart people who prefer long-format presentation can use.

There is a lack of quality local programming, though. There should be a nightly Detroit-focused, or at least Michigan-focused, news show to provide a reasonable alternative to the horrific broadcasts on 2, 4, and 7. Other cities' public tv affiliates have this. Further, where's Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley? Oh-- they put them on after midnight, if at all. Bad call.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Man, the lying was unbelievable. It was coming out of their y/k/w's. Spin, spin, spin. Is this what non-commercial, public television has come to? I was blown away.
    You're talking about the commercials themselves, right? I have a hard time believing you're talking about the actual programming. In part because one of those programs was Antiques Road Show. Only so much room for corporate propaganda there. That awesome lady with the pig flask and great stories was not a paid plant for Wal Mart as far as I could tell.

It is concerning that these interests would have such a stake in the well-being of supposedly independent media, but in TCE [[the current economy) any love is good love, I guess.

Shouldn't a company like Microsoft want to be associated with PBS? I would think that PBS' market is a great target market for them.

And you've only realized now that Public TV relies on sponsors to survive [[much like "regular " or Cable TV)?

and don't forget,

Viewers like you!
    make a donation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Corporations are often proud to support the PBS because it makes them look good for supporting one of the few really informative sources that is left. PBS is practically the only American outlet that will provide a format for news and discussion that reasonable and/or smart people who prefer long-format presentation can use.

There is a lack of quality local programming, though. There should be a nightly Detroit-focused, or at least Michigan-focused, news show to provide a reasonable alternative to the horrific broadcasts on 2, 4, and 7. Other cities' public tv affiliates have this. Further, where's Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley? Oh-- they put them on after midnight, if at all. Bad call.
    Mackinaw, I think you're basically correct in your assessment. Thanks for that input. If I watch tee vee, it's usually the PBS News, Frontline, Bill Moyers, John Stewart, Stephen Colbert and anything else I might accidentally come across. I'm terrible at scheduling this stuff because of my dislike for tee vee. Regardless, it was disconcerting to hear the names of the sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    You're talking about the commercials themselves, right? I have a hard time believing you're talking about the actual programming. In part because one of those programs was Antiques Road Show. Only so much room for corporate propaganda there. That awesome lady with the pig flask and great stories was not a paid plant for Wal Mart as far as I could tell.

It is concerning that these interests would have such a stake in the well-being of supposedly independent media, but in TCE [[the current economy) any love is good love, I guess.
    You're correct I'm not talking about the programs themselves. It seems to me there's too much selling and oldies on PBS. But then again, I don't watch much. I turn the tee vee on and cruise channels looking for something interesting. I seldom find it - including on PBS. The occasional program I find on PBS is usually quite good - the antiques show, the investigative programs. Bill Moyers had a heck of a discussion with the Judge [[Goldstone?) the other night. It was well worth listening to. Unfortunately, not enough of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    You're correct I'm not talking about the programs themselves. It seems to me there's too much selling and oldies on PBS. But then again, I don't watch much. I turn the tee vee on and cruise channels looking for something interesting. I seldom find it - including on PBS. The occasional program I find on PBS is usually quite good - the antiques show, the investigative programs. Bill Moyers had a heck of a discussion with the Judge [[Goldstone?) the other night. It was well worth listening to. Unfortunately, not enough of this stuff.
    The reason that they have that type of filler programming is because they don't get enough of those corporate sponsors to help them buy the better programming.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Shouldn't a company like Microsoft want to be associated with PBS? I would think that PBS' market is a great target market for them.
    Kraig, obviously all those companies do want to be associated, or they wouldn't be doing it. My main point, in case you missed it is : do we need the influence of these multi-nationals on our supposed, community television? I thought this was Public Television? If it's going to have same old corporate sponsors, selling same old stuff, it might as well be same old tee vee. PBS bills themselves as commercial free television.

Retroit Guest

Could it be that there are tax advantages for these corporations to advertise on PBS? Would they, for example, pay as much [[or any?) on taxes for a PBS commercial as opposed to a network/cable commercial?

[[Follow the money.)

Also, those corporations are putting a huge spin on their businesses. Listen to the spin Exxon and BP put on what their doing. You'd think they were actually environmentally friendly, green companies, out to save the world. C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Could it be that there are tax advantages for these corporations to advertise on PBS? Would they, for example, pay as much [[or any?) on taxes for a PBS commercial as opposed to a network/cable commercial?

[[Follow the money.)
    Excellent point, Retroit.