Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Georgia Street Community Collective Upcoming Events

Georgia Street Community Collective Upcoming Events

The Georgia Street Community Collective has planned several events through the end of the year:

This Friday, October 30th will be our Annual Harvest Fest beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the Garden. This event is for the neighborhood children and their parents. It's a way to get them involved with keeping an eye on their neighborhood for "Angel's Night" and giving them a place to gather for a great time. We will be serving hot dogs, chips and beverages free of charge, along with some treat bags. We will be showing at least one movie....two if weather permits.

On Saturday, November 21st, we will have our 2nd Craft Day. The kids will make holiday decorations and decorate cookies from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The location for this event is still to be determined as we are hoping for a larger facility this year.

On Saturday, December 12th, we will hold our 2nd Annual Holiday Dinner. We anticipate approximately 120 people for dinner, since last year's was so successful. The location for this event is also still to be determined as we are hoping for the larger facility.

More information on all of these event is available on our website:

www.georgiastreetcc.com

Volunteers, goods and donations are needed for each of these events as the BackPack Giveaway drained most of our funds. We hope that you can find it in your heart to volunteer or donate so that the Georgia Street Community Collective can continue its mission.

The Harvest Fest was a great success on Friday Night! We had around 25 children and some adults come to the Garden to have a little food, watch a movie, roast some marshmallows and get a goody bag. Check out our website [[the "EVENTS" tab) for some great pictures! www.georgiastreetcc.com

Our prayers were answered and the rain held off until the end of the first movie and we got all the equipment packed up and put away. It was a very warm, though windy, night.

Something else terrific happened on Friday!.....A "Friend of Georgia Street" by the name of Tom dropped off bags and bags full of winter coats. Tom, his wife, family and friends, gathered 48 coats, sizes 2T to 14-16 [[along with a couple pairs of snow pants) to give to children who do not have a good coat for this winter.

Thanks to his generosity, we have decided to hold a

"Keep the Kids Warm this Winter"
    event in conjunction with our 2nd Annual Craft Day. We already have a few pairs of gloves, hats and scarves to add to the coats. But we are asking for additional donations of new or gently-used coats, hats, gloves, mittens, scarves or boots to add to the collection we have. We will give these away on November 21st following the Craft Day.

Thank you to Tom for helping us Keep the Kids Warm this Winter...

It's all good to hear...Count me in on christmas dinner again.

Thank You davemarc!!

I am contemplating ideas for the craft day. If I come up with an idea I'll let you know if I can participate. On a side note, my Mom was a crafter in her day. I kid you not, there are more than seventy labeled boxes of assorted sizes in the basement and maybe more loaded with good stuff. Anyone planning a craft should post here and hopefully I can give you items and spare you the expense. If I get motivated I'll try to make a list. I bet there is $7,000 worth of craft items down there.

Sorry for posting here rather than your Website but my computers are older than Methusula [[sp) so I don't dare jump around the Web much.

As far as winter jackets I think I brought some to you already. My church has a thrift shop and I will see what I can come up with.

As for your Xmas feast, last year I gave a spiral ham. This year you can have your pick of ham, 10# of potato salad or a large tray of cheese potato casserole.

Good luck and happy to hear your Harvest festival went well.

Sumas: We already have a full day planned, although we appreciate any ideas you might have for a future Craft Day.

To begin the day, a fine arts major from University of Michigan will be talking to the kids about how they imagine their living conditions in the future. She has asked us to have the kids draw pictures of what they dream of so she can talk to them about it on that day.

Once we have more space to work with and store our supplies, we will begin to hold regular craft days...maybe once a month, so any ideas and assistance for the future is welcomed.
    We have a multitude of different type of ornaments for them to paint and decorate. We also plan to use "foamies" for them to make other decorations. In addition, they will be decorating sugar cookies in holiday themes.

And somewhere in the day, we will also be giving away the winter wear that we have gathered. The exact schedule is not determined as of yet, but we will be posting it as soon as it is finalized.

Any crafting supplies you can offer would be greatly appreciated, particularly craft paint, sparkles, sequins, or any other item that may be used to decorate the ornaments. We could also use some paint brushes, glue, glue guns, smocks or old shirts, and markers.

We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your continued efforts to support the GSCC.

Default New Information on Upcoming Events

GSCC has secured the locations for our upcoming events.

The "Keep the Kids Warm this Winter" and Craft Day on November 21st will be held at the Christ Word Outreach's Annex Building at 8925 Holcomb [[near the corner of Georgia Street).

The winter wear giveaway will begin at 11:00 a.m. Donations of new or gently used coats, boots, hats, scarves, gloves and mittens will be greatly appreciated.

From 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. the kids will be decorating ornaments and sugar cookies.
    __________________________________________________ _____

The 2nd Annual Holiday Dinner will take place on Saturday, December 12th at the Baptist Hill Missionary Baptist Church's Community Room. Baptist Hill is located on the corner of Raymond & Georgia Streets very close to the Garden.

The Church is graciously allowing us to use their large room so that we may accommodate more people at the Dinner.

Please visit our website at www.georgiastreetcc.com for additional information, and to donate or volunteer.

We are counting on the support of our DetroitYes friends to continue our Mission.

If you have any questions or need more information please 313-452-0684 or 586-915-8946.

Bump..

Coats, hats, gloves, scarves etc are still needed for the Keep the Kids Warm this Winter giveaway. If you have new or gently used winter wear you would like to donate, please contact Mark at 313-452-0684 to make arrangements for drop-off.

We could also use some volunteers to help supervise the kids during the crafting. Call or e-mail georgiast313@yahoo.com if you have a little time to help out.

We appreciate the continued support of our Detroit Yes friends!

Hope you got the glue gun, glue, glitter and sequins we dropped off for the kids craft day. If you can think of other craft items let me know.

Today we will check out our church thrift shop for kids winter items.

Also need to know food items needed for your Christmas dinner. We live on a tight budget and like to take advantage of sales.

Also happy to hear that the community center is a few steps closer to fruition.

Yes, we got the stuff....thank you very much! Once we have a place to store everything, any craft items you would like to donate would be welcomed. Right now, we are all set.

If you look at the GSCC website, on the "EVENTS" tab, there is a list of things that we are asking people to donate. Any size or quantity that you can afford is fine. If you check items on that list, it will send us an email automatically.

Check our blog for current pictures of the Community Center.

Thanks again for everything you do!

Just a reminder about the "Keep the Kids Warm this Winter" program tomorrow [[Saturday) at 11:00 a.m. at the Christ Word Outreach Annex at 8925 Holcomb [[& Georgia St); with the Craft-Making and Cookie Decorating to immediately follow.

We will be at the Annex anytime after 9:30 a.m. if you still have items to donate. You are welcome to drop by anytime during the day and either watch, or help us out.

Thank you again to all those who gave so generously. We will post pictures on the website as soon as possible after the event.

Since I can't get on the Georgia Street website from work, I am posting it here. Cub, your e-mail has been hijacked. I got some spam today addressed from you. I know you don't do that sort of thing so you must have a virus. Didn't know where else to post this. Sorry

me too, I thought it was a joke as it seemed highly unusual for Cub to promote off-shore prescription drug purchases; never considered that his e-ddress could have been hacked. In the [[To) line, it had several e-ddresses I recognized. I'm sure I deleted mine, but I'll scheck.

Yes...I got a call from Cub last night warning me about the e-mail. He found out what happened about 11 pm last night.

jeeze, that's bad. Excuse me while I poor some clorox on my hard drive.

Return address spoofing is common. Spammers randomly grab addresses that look 'realistic' to use as the return address for an eblast. They only want to get out their money-making message. They do not want to deal with the replies, so the hapless victim catches all they abusive replies and bounces. I had an address hit last year that resulted in a ton of email, most bounces of bad addresses, from Russia.

What can you do about it? Nothing but suffer until they move on.

Same here. My browser knew better and told me to stay away, though. Mac power! Clearly someone had Cub's Georgia Street mailing list.

Cub - just received the Christmas card from you and the Collective today. Thank you buddy!

Yeah, Canada Post is achingly slow even tho' the mail only has to make it across the creek!

Any news on the 2nd annual SuperBowl Garden Event?

inquiring minds...

Yes Gnome...there will be a 2nd Annual SuperBowl Party! Further details will be posted on the website and DetroitYes in the next day or two. Advance tickets will be available for a $12.00 donation. Donations at the door the day of the event will be $15.00.

The good news is that we are going to use the interior of the store as the venue this year so that the weather will not be as big a factor. We will have the same menu...hot dogs, hamburgers, wings, chili, pop and beer. We will also have a 50-50 raffle.

Tickets will be available from Cub in the very near future...watch for updates!

Great, I'm getting my mojo all funkified for the Garden Bowl part deux

Yay, last year was a blast.

Looking forward to those wings.

Last year's party was great--can't wait to see everyone again!

LodgeDodger Guest

We hope to attend this year.