Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Alley jumper theaters

I thought the Adams was the only one in town, but a friend of mine recalls one between Six and Seven on Woodward. Any of you theater experts [[this means you, Gistok) know of another?

I'm clueless here. What's an Alley jumper theater?

The Palace and Columbia theaters, near the bottom of this thread: http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1204644197

Thanks, MikeM, I get the gist now.

I got jumped in the alley once behind the Camelot Theatre on Warren Ave. They took my skittles money.

were you wearing your Kimba thong?

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I thought the Adams was the only one in town, but a friend of mine recalls one between Six and Seven on Woodward. Any of you theater experts [[this means you, Gistok) know of another?
    The one on Woodward near McNichols was the RKO Uptown, later the Six Mile, in Highland Park.

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=953&type=5

Aerial image of that place in on page 1 of the link Mikem posted.

The four mentioned are the only ones that have been located, so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    The one on Woodward near McNichols was the RKO Uptown, later the Six Mile, in Highland Park.

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=953&type=5

Aerial image of that place in on page 1 of the link Mikem posted.

The four mentioned are the only ones that have been located, so far...
    Hey Horn,
    Where did you get your copies of the Sanborn fire maps? Do you mind if I use your captures [[will credit you however you want to be credited, of course).

Hey Horn,
    Where did you get your copies of the Sanborn fire maps? Do you mind if I use your captures [[will credit you however you want to be credited, of course).
    They came from the UofM library online,but you need to get a password from your hometown library, that is, if they subscribe to it.

Go ahead and use them, as you see fit.

Thanks Hornwrecker, et al...

Alley Jumper theatres are theatres that are built in tight spaces, or in areas where land prices are expensive. Usually an Alley Jumper is where the lobby portion of the theatre is in a separate building from the auditorium, and are separated by an alleyway. Therefore the lobby portion of the building usually has a narrow entranceway on a busy street or major thoroughfare.

In the lobby portion of the theatre balcony patrons usually take the stairs up to get to their seats, and the main floor patrons usually take a ramp down below street level. The balcony hallway crosses over to the theatre via a skyway above the alley, and the main floor hallway tunnels underneath the alley.

Of course theatres that only had main floor seating would likely just have the ramp and tunnel portion of this arrangement.

In Ohio the Akron Civic [[formerly Loew's Akron) is built above a former canal... and there is a long lobby built above that former canal space [[on wood pilings underneath).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks Hornwrecker, et al...

Alley Jumper theatres are theatres that are built in tight spaces, or in areas where land prices are expensive. Usually an Alley Jumper is where the lobby portion of the theatre is in a separate building from the auditorium, and are separated by an alleyway. Therefore the lobby portion of the building usually has a narrow entranceway on a busy street or major thoroughfare.

In the lobby portion of the theatre balcony patrons usually take the stairs up to get to their seats, and the main floor patrons usually take a ramp down below street level. The balcony hallway crosses over to the theatre via a skyway above the alley, and the main floor hallway tunnels underneath the alley.

Of course theatres that only had main floor seating would likely just have the ramp and tunnel portion of this arrangement.

In Ohio the Akron Civic [[formerly Loew's Akron) is built above a former canal... and there is a long lobby built above that former canal space [[on wood pilings underneath).
    Gary,
    Do you know of any other alley jumpers besides the Adams, Columbia, RKO Uptown and Palace?

If I have the correct understanding of an Alley Jumper, the RKO Uptown does not qualify. No tunnels, no skyways, the building did not infringe on any alley or street. The entrance did run east and west while the seating ran north and south.

I don't know of any other alley jumpers in Detroit. Maybe 56packman knows of some.

They would likely exist in a downtown or on a main artery street, where land prices were higher. I doubt that many were built as neighborhood theatres...

Adams Theatre page with demo, old photos, history and a look inside the theater pre-demo now up: http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/adams

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Nice history there buildingsofdetroit... only a few items that should be mentioned...

The restoration of the Fox in 1988 did not cost $36 million. According to the Arcadia Movie Palace Book, it cost $10 million. I've heard numbers from $8-$12 million bandied about in the past, so this $10 million figure sounds about right.

Also... the first film with "sound" was the 1927 movie THE JAZZ SINGER staring Al Jolson.

Also you mention "concessions". Most people don't realize that movie palaces in the 20s and 30s didn't have concessions. You paid to see the movie, and that was pretty much it.

It wasn't until about 1940 that concession stands were introduced into movie theatres around the country. Hard to believe that it took so long, since today concessions are the "bread and butter" of making money off of theatres.

This lack of concession stands also helps explain why older movie theatres had so few bathrooms. No big gulp beverages.... no need for a potty break!
    Last edited by Gistok; October-28-09 at 12:14 AM.

Adams Theatre page with demo, old photos, history and a look inside the theater pre-demo now up: http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/adams

Thanks, everyone, for your help!
    Thats some good shit there, BofD....

Mauser is right, another great job ... cool detail about Fred Bear, who'd a thunk?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Thats some good shit there, BofD....
    Mr. Mauser,
    I need to talk to you but didn't have a contact. The PresWayne news release I have says YOU, sir, were one of the people who cleaned up the Adams. Is that true? Do you know what happened to the uniforms and other details found while cleaning up the theater?

The restoration of the Fox in 1988 did not cost $36 million. According to the Arcadia Movie Palace Book, it cost $10 million. I've heard numbers from $8-$12 million bandied about in the past, so this $10 million figure sounds about right.
    Yeeeeeeeeee-ikes! You're right. I misread the Free Press story I was quoting: "The restoration of the Fox Theatre and the downtown theater district, a$36 million project, has been in the works for almost three years." The whole area saw $36 million, not just the Fox. Thanks for the catch! According to several 1988 Freep articles, the Fox underwent a $7 million renovation. I'm sure it was a tad higher than that when you factor in all the little extras that had to be done.

Also you mention "concessions". Most people don't realize that movie palaces in the 20s and 30s didn't have concessions. You paid to see the movie, and that was pretty much it. It wasn't until about 1940 that concession stands were introduced into movie theatres around the country. Hard to believe that it took so long, since today concessions are the "bread and butter" of making money off of theatres.
    Actually, I did know that, but only because 56packman told me about it. That said, I put that there because after the 1920s, people would have done that. Just not at opening. I was going to further explain that, but the thing was just so darn long as it was. If you think it needs to be clarified, I'll change it.

Thanks for the eyes, Gistok. Going to attempt the Hollywood Theatre pretty soon - and I'll probably need help telling the story of Detroit's paradise lost.