Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The “tempting” Temptations early beginnings

A talent show was held at Saint Stevens Community Center, where the local Detroit talent showcased their singing and Choreography during the late 50s. The Primes [[Pre-Temptations group) and the Primettes [[Pre-Supremes group) were among the talent. Can someone tell me where is/was Saint Stevens Community Center located?

I think two of the Primes [[Eddie Kendriks and Paul Williams) joined Otis Williams and Melvin 'Blue' Franklin in their Temptations' group before they auditioned for Motown Records in 1962. [[Let's put this thread into Soulful Detroit Forum.)

Perhaps that movie that VH1 made - I think it's called The Temptations - might have covered the earliest origins of these classic soulsingers whom Smokey R. took beneath he wings and made them make songs in that Motown recording studio, located on West Grand Blvd. Funky stuff for sure. And a very good flick to boot.

xunclexx...if you are talking about the community center at St. Stephen AME Church, it is near W. Warren and W. Grand Blvd. When I was a kid, my neighbors were members of that church and I used to attend services there sometimes.

Default I Think so, but not sure..........

It’s all blurry to me now, Gary. I went with my older brother there one Friday evening after he picked up some friends at Northwestern. It did not take long to get there and it was after the sun had set. Hopefully, someone will agree with you and I’ll keep checking other sources too.

Registered and waiting for verification with the Soulful Detroit Forum, Danny.

I thought the movie was good but a lot was left out, ggores. There was a lot of "smoothing" out of actual feelings the guys had [[Paul and Elbridge Bryant) for one another. My older brother and sister both knew Paul Williams and they both said, " the movie made Poopsie [[Paul) look like an alcohol junkie." But, the movie was alright with me.

That sounds like the same place, xunclexx.

Your chances of getting an answer to this question are better on this board than on Soulful Detroit. SDF is a good place to go for music questions, but the real Detroit history experts are over here on Dyes.