Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Schindler's List.

I forgot about Wolf Creek. It definitely scared the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Wolf Creek. Its about a serial killer in Australia, based on a true story. Not sure that it scared me, but it was very disturbing. Loved Day The Earth Stood Still, the original. I wish Gort could patrol the streets of Detroit.

ccbatson Guest

A more recent classic..."The Orphanage".

Lorax Guest

The scariest movies of the last 35 years were "The Sentinel" with an amazing all-star cast including: Chris Sarandon, Christina Raines, Eva Gardner, Eli Wallach, Christopher Walken, Jerry Orbach, Jose Ferrer, Arthur Kennedy, Sylvia Miles, Beverly D'Angelo, John Carradine, Jeff Goldblum, Deborah Raffin, amongst others- and "The Exorcist" hands down [[and heads around!).
    Last edited by Lorax; October-26-09 at 09:18 PM.

In The Tingler, didn't you see the thing going across the bottom of the screen as if it was in the theatre?

I just love a good ghost story. Sometimes, they can truely frighten me. What a thrill. All others make me laugh. Some favorites:
    The Uninvited
    Carnival of Souls
    The Haunting
    The Innocents
    The Changeling
    some newer films:
    The Others
    The Orphanage
    There are some terrific Japanese and Korean made ghost movies. One good choice is Shutter.

After my last post I thought I'd watch The Changeling again. Hadn't seen it for many years. This has got to be one of the best ghost movies ever. Still as scary as it was the first time i seen it. Ya know how a scary story can make the hair on your arms stand up? This movie makes the hair on the bottoms of my feet stand up.

The original "THE THING" was scary... but decades later the remake of "THE THING" was downright nerve wrecking!

Default re: the tingler

SCREAM........SCREAM.......SCREAM

That is the only way to get rid of the tingler. SCREAM............

Wow, I can still see that trailer telling the people in the audience to scream........

I think if I read correctly, that some movie theatres literally wired the seats to vibrate or move when the Tingler went across the screen......and again, if I read correctly, they had medical staff available to those that thought they were having a heart attack.............
    Another movie with Vincent Price from 1959 was the original Fly................

HELP ME.........HELP ME.............HELP ME...................lol, that was too funny

One thing I remember about the Tingler was that the wife of the man who murdered her was also known as Miss Lonely Hearts, the lady in that famous move REAR WINDOW, with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly, 1954

That man really hated his wife, so much he was willing to let Price kill her.............she was a mess, lol

They sure dont make em like they used to

Also, does anyone remember

RING OF TERROR
    or
    FIEND WITHOUT A FACE....

Jane

Children of the Corn

Ravine Guest

Pam mentioned The Birds. Oh Hell Yes. Terrifying. I just didn't remember it at the time when I mentioned Them. But definitely, yes, The Birds was about as scary as a movie could be, at the time.

ccbatson Guest

I forgot about 1408...very good and under rated IMO.

John Carpenters "Prince of Darkness".

ccbatson Guest

Here is one that really surprised me as it was a remake of a very well done original..."The Omen" with Liev Schreiber. Mia Farrow with all of the plastic surgery really kicked things up a notch.

Well, they got a website for all of this. It's called Kindertrauma, http://www.kindertrauma.com/and they would love to hear any stories.

Basically, for me, all you had to do was tell me a movie was scary and I would start crying, cover my eyes, beg my older brother to turn it off, and quickly leave the room. Even hokey made-for-T.V. crud like "This House Possessed" or "Manitou" [[even though the concept of magic powdered lines used to create a barrier against evil intrigued me) freaked me out. My brother's interest in afternoon Daikaiju stuff [[like Godzilla, Ultraman, Giant Robot, etc.) would unsettle me because of the cacophony of hideous, inhuman shrieks.

Yeeup. I was one scared little shorty. That was-until the Ghostbusters came along and taught us you could fight back. Thanks Danny and Harry [[R.I.P.)-and for the timely slime sequel!

The last two movies to rattle me were "Cube" and "Session 9"-both of which were the kind of independent films that IFC used to play.

For you fans of Carpenter's "The Thing" [[which took a long time to earn it's large cult following); There is Outpost 31http://www.outpost31.com/-a forum site [[uh-oh-one of those) for obsessive Thing fans or just some folks looking for answers or some trivial tidbit. There are a ridiculous amount of fan poster mock-ups or art or what have you on Pinterest, EBAY, Deviant Art,and all of the usual sources. Rob Ager [[and the Collative Learning site) have some definitely esoteric takes and interpretations on the Thing [[plus the "Was Child's infected?" video on Youtube-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw) and other films [[mostly by Kubrick). There is also this documentary about the making of The Thinghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B48Yp00LitE. One can also just read the short story "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell [[aka. Don Stuart) which Carpenter's take was closer to resembling; yet, Campbell had some views I can't get behind.

Invaders from Mars [[1953) 1 hr., 18 min. The Martians don't debut until the 57:26 mark.

The first scary movie I ever watched. Mom disapproved. Dad overrode. Thanks, Dad!

Ominous sinkholes! Brain implants! Ray guns! Yikes!

Hush..Hush Sweet Charlotte was shown at our all night party in January 68 at LPHS. One part of a movie that bothered me was the scene in "The Day After" when the missiles were leaving their silos. We spent a lot of time out west and passed a lot of those silos. Often wondered how horrifying it would have been to be passing by and seeing the missiles launching. "Cat People" was pretty good also.

REC is a pretty scary movie from 2007. It is available on the internet with English subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Hush..Hush Sweet Charlotte was shown at our all night party in January 68 at LPHS. One part of a movie that bothered me was the scene in "The Day After" when the missiles were leaving their silos. We spent a lot of time out west and passed a lot of those silos. Often wondered how horrifying it would have been to be passing by and seeing the missiles launching. "Cat People" was pretty good also.
    Yeah, Hush Hush was nutty [[like "Sunset Blvd" "Baby Jane" nutty, but nowhere as crazy as "Spider Baby"). The flash vaporization of folks from "The Day After" [[3:21 in this cliphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA)
    was my first lesson as a young, impressionable child to finally drive home deeply what all of that "Atom Bomb/Nuke" talk was about. We all had the same fear looming over us in the '80s as those from three decades prior. Then the Iron Curtain fell, and nobody talked about nuclear proliferation or threats in the '90s onward [[guess Zappa was right).

Strange how it never gets talked about anymore.

Name:  shadow from a-bomb.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  237.9 KBPicture of shadow of man vaporized in Hiroshima.

^^^^ Yes, the very concept and images of that incident has always been haunting to me in an eerie, if not ghastly, form of poetry. So are the disturbing murals of Iri & Toshi Maruki. http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...n-colours.html
    One movie guaranteed to make you cry [[whether you like Japanime or not) is "Grave of the Fireflies".

'The Secret'. This movie is an example of how people waste their live-time on acquiring material goods, on magic. It's scary to see how people die. Although the meaning of human being is to come to God as a spiritual being. The movie 'CONSCIOUSNESS AND PERSONALITY. FROM THE INEVITABLY DEAD TO THE ETERNALLY ALIVE' says about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast