Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What Movies Scared You?

As All Hallows Eve draws nigh, thoughts turn to fright and what movies scared you and why. I'm not a scary movie fan as I get too involved ... so he are my 5 movies

5. Abbott and Costello Meet the Wolfman. Being a kid and watching that face change scared the baby pee right out of me.
    4. Rosemary's Baby The scene with the eyes, the eyes!
    3. Exorcist The crazy floating bed, the vomiting, head turning ...
    2. Evil Dead The whole thing from the floating POV shots to the vines coming alive ...
    1. Silence of the Lambs The sewing machine scene.

So what ones are yours and why?

Ravine Guest

"Poetic Justice," featuring Janet Jackson, Tupac Shakur.

Absolutely horrifying, once I realized that director John Singleton, and everyone else involved, meant for this pitifully juvenile and entirely brain-dead movie to be taken seriously. I'm not kidding, when I say that when I run into it on TV, I watch it for laughs.

Rideron Guest

Gort scared the hell outta me in the original "Day the Earth Stood Still"

And in the original 'The Thing', the scene where the isolated arctic outpost personnel are huddled together in the storeroom and the geiger counter starts ticking faster and faster as the 'thing' approaches...

Ravine Guest

Sorry, Gnome; you set up a fun, non-confrontational thread, and I should behave myself [[whatever that means.)

I have an entry, but please keep in mind that I was very young when I saw "Them," a movie which featured giant ants. It got to me so bad that I'm not sure I could watch it, now, without getting at least a little shaken up.

Them! oh yeah... jeeps running through the storm drains ... staring James Whitmore I think, or maybe a James Arnes. Still very spooky with that humming sound effect when the ants are coming.

As far a Poetic Justice goes ... I sort of liked it in parts ... the family reunion they crash and when that fool jackrabbits on the mail bags, jeeze. funny yes, scary? only from the standpoint that it would have guaranteed us a string of Tupac movies, which would have been a waste of silver nitrate.

Like Gnome, Silence of the Lambs and Rosemary's Baby would certainly make my list; but my all-time scariest movie would have to be Wait Until Dark [[1967) starring Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGKBiMX8KU

The Tingler, with Vincent Price. It's a b movie in black and white. I was 23 years old and scared the heck out of me at home, while watching on tv. Why???????

Recently, "Drag Me To Hell" with Allison Lohman. That is the most scared I've ever been while watching a movie. The old gypsy lady scared a scream outta me. Really, I screamed in the theater.

The Tingler, Wait Until Dark, and Rosemary's Baby. I've never seen Silence of the Lambs. That one scared the daylights out of one of our sons - therefore, I've not had the desire to see it.

And I think The Pit and the Pendulum with Vincent Price. Saw that at the Eastown Theater when it first came out. Being a kid, Vincent Price scared the hell outta me anyway.

I used to LOVE The Tingler! That movie was the best! I can't believe it came on tv because it was soooo scary. They really don't make them like that anymore. Remember the scene behind the curtain in the hospital when he pulled the thing up out of the body?

There was another movie called Ssssss, about some people in a carnival and somehow one of them was turning people into snakes. Sounds hokey but it was a really good creepy movie.

The Thing remake is one of my all-time faves.

Dawn of the Dead remake
    30 Days of Night
    Suspiria, another old movie
    The Sentinel - an old movie surrounding an apartment building

The old movies were the best! and I was really young but Attack of the Killer Tomatoes used to scare me, lol. I showed it to my son on youtube the other day and we laughed SO hard at how stupid it was, but it really used to scare me!

Storm of the Century is really good too, as was the original Carrie.

Alien
    Haute Tension
    The sixth sense
    The Omen
    The Shining
    Last edited by ejames01; October-25-09 at 11:43 AM. Reason: correction

The original, not the re-make.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Wolf Creek. Its about a serial killer in Australia, based on a true story. Not sure that it scared me, but it was very disturbing. Loved Day The Earth Stood Still, the original. I wish Gort could patrol the streets of Detroit.

The Exorcist
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Omen
    Night of the Living Dead

Basically, anything with demons, vampires and zombies, because the mere mortals never seem to stand a chance. For the life of me, I can't figure out this new love affair we're having with vampires now???

The older black and white thrillers scared me the most. A few have been mentioned in this thread already.

• The Pit and the Pendulum
    • Missile To The Moon [[1958)
    • The Thing [[original)
    • The Day of the Triffids
    • Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte [[the severed head rolling down the grand staircase freaked me out)

The Mask [[1961 film)

It was about an ancient tribal mask which caused its wearer to experience increasingly nightmarish hallucinations. The mask was addictive and gradually drove the wearer mad.

The hallucination scenes were made with that 3-D effect that the audience would experience when wearing blue and red tinted glasses. The audience was instructed to put the glasses on whenever they heard the ominous command "Put the mask on NOW!"

It was a stroke of genius to equate [[in the audience's mind) the real life glasses with the fictional mask. It draws you right into the story, which is why it was so scary.

Found a couple of youtube clips:
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-25-09 at 07:17 PM.

ccbatson Guest

Did anyone mention "The Shining"?

The Shining did creep me out, But as a kid I would watch the friday night horror flix on channel 7. My father let me stay up for them. As for the movie that scared me the most Psychomania, My father hated motorcycles and said I would turn into a frog if I rode one.Havn't yet but I don't push my luck.
    Last edited by reddog289; October-25-09 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Ya know what? I forgot about The Shining - yeah - that one scared me too. Reading the book scared me as well.

And Psycho - the original. Was quite sometime before I could take a shower if I was alone in the house.

" The Haunting" , 1963 black and white version with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom. The creepiest movie I have ever seen.

The Birds. People getting their eyes pecked out!

The Omega Man scared the daylights out of me and gave me nightmares for a week

all those Vincent Price movies? they made me laugh even when I was a kid

Jaws. I didn't go swimming for two years.

Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. Saw it as a kid and had nightmares about the cyclops for days afterwards.

"The Pit & the Pendulem" wins hands down for me. When that dead chick is whispering "Nicholas"...that will drive you nuts.

"Fallen" & "End of Days" both give me the creeps.

Carrie [[the hand at the end)
    The Exorcist
    The Legend of Hell House
    Trilogy of Terror [[little voodoo doll chases Karen Black with teeny-weeny lance)
    Wait Until Dark

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    The older black and white thrillers scared me the most. A few have been mentioned in this thread already.

• The Pit and the Pendulum
    • Missile To The Moon [[1958)
    • The Thing [[original)
    • The Day of the Triffids
    • Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte [[the severed head rolling down the grand staircase freaked me out)
    Ha, The Day of the Triffids is classic! I'm not sure how scary it is, but I love it. Wolfman Mac played it with some awesome Dave Ivey props, but we've discussed that before.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast