Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Southfield council race

Has anyone looked at the Southfield city council race?

After all they have on 90 year old council man and a new seat to fill which William Lattimore lose do taking a bribe.

I have attend a couple of the forums and talked with some candidate heading into the Nov.3rd election. People ought to seek out candidates thats have some knowledge of the budget and working with incumbents.

Currently Janna Garrsion- Former DFT is leading among the incumbents 750 votes ahead of Chris Terry.

Angie Waller and Stephon Johnson.

I think I turning towards Chris Terry to fill the voided seat. What you think?

There will be four council members elected, and I do favor the incumbents running, as they have served us well. I think Sid Lantz, the elder you refer to, is probably going to outlive us all just to prove a point. The South Oakland Eccentric endorsed Janna Garrison with a nod to Salathea Jackson. I've looked over all the other candidates as well.

I think Chris Terry is a good man, but I don't like the fiscal priorities he favors. He wants to seek out defense contracts for the City of Southfield, which seems highly unrealistic. We have an office base here, and no real room for manufacturing facilities. I guess if there are contracts requiring office space, we do need to fill up those offices. He wants to concentrate on downtown development for shopping. I like that, but not right now. He would be my second to last choice.

Angie Waller would be last, lovely lady with her heart in the right place, but she doesn't seem to have any idea what a council person does.

Salathea Jackson is basically an auditor who wants to keep everything on the up and up. I like that, but not necessarily as the only issue. Fortunately, she has some really good ideas to deal with the growing property issues we have. She wants to concentrate on street lighting to deter crime. I don't like that idea, not here, not now. Street lighting is not a priority for our time or tax dollars. She has some interesting property tax ideas for incentives to encourage people to stay in their homes or to come here and look at buying the beautiful homes we have awaiting buyers.

Stephon Johnson seems pretty forceful on the idea of working with the property issues, and has some great ideas, but that seems to be the main thing he has studied.

Janna Garrison is also very strong on maintaining safe and secure housing. She wants to work on getting youth involved and provide incentives for community policing and crime prevention. She wants to redevelop Northland and make it viable. I think she provides less detail in her presentation than the others.

Salathea Jackson and Janna Garrison have lived here the longest. I haven't noted any of the candidates being really active in the community prior to running for office.

So, my choices in order of preference:
    Salathea Jackson
    Stephon Johnson -- Janna Garrison [[a tossup)
    Chris Terry
    Angie Waller

Janna Garrison and Salathea Jackson have lived here the longest.

As for the Treasurer's race, which you did not bring up, what is with these two promising to do something about taxes? It drives me crazy to hear them campaigning away about taxes, when their only role is to collect them. They have no voice in how much the taxes are. A lot of the taxes they collect are county taxes. Lowenberg did it last time too, so I was ready to vote against him because he didn't keep his stupid promise to lower taxes, and here comes Taylor campaigning the same exact thing. What's a voter to do?
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-25-09 at 08:15 PM.

Default Southfield city Council

First,

For Treasurer I liking the responses I heard from Irv Lownberg at the PTA debate were he convinced me to vote for the guy. He was fully intact on the investments the city was making in 2007 which picked up 17% returns which the incumbent sat looking clueless. Heck the lady has worked for MGM as a clerk. Let alone Lowenberg was mindful to explain how when market was not doing well they began to get more conservative. As a taxes they are going to be lower in 2010 due to the new assetment.

Lownberg

Jackson- Listen to her she has no plans for 21st century jobs or plans for devlopment nor schools. All she can cater to are seniors. Not to mention the current econmic climate will require someone that has a past with city government working. This not Detroit were she can hire a staff to help. Southfield candidates get no staff. I not taking my chances on another senior to make decisions.Financial she is running from the kitchen table!

Garrsion- Is totally new to the scene with a nice finacial backing. She could give it a nice run. Although I'm learning she up against tough opposition. The mere fact that she has failed in leadership roles in the past. She never mentions anything about mass transit NOR has she talked about developing Southfiled. Another newcomer. She probbaly needs to consider a appointment first. I don't think she is a team player. She didn't seem to approachable.

Stephon Johnson- He is a nice guy. He needs help though.

Waller is another candidate with some support. She will do well but not as well as Garrison or Terry. She does not have the drive to create a base nor pick up the Hebrew vote. Another candidate with out a steady hand at the council table. She is leaning heavy on the mayor. It probbaly won't work.

Terry- The only guy with some experince at with city council members in a work climate. Although he running with a small pockets. He is running with support, and knowledge of the city charter and understands how it works. He is creative. I thought government contract jobs will provide some sustainability and add job diversity to Southfield. Afterall I like the idea that government jobs rarely layoff. I noticed he is the only candidate endorsed by the current city council leadership too. Seems approachable and has priority set to help bring about mass transit.

The line up will finish
    Donald F. Fracassi
    Kenson J. Siver
    Seymour
    Terry
    Waller
    Garssion
    Jackson

treasurer-Lowenberg

Mayor- Lawerence

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    There will be four council members elected, and I do favor the incumbents running, as they have served us well. I think Sid Lantz, the elder you refer to, is probably going to outlive us all just to prove a point. The South Oakland Eccentric endorsed Janna Garrison with a nod to Salathea Jackson. I've looked over all the other candidates as well.

I think Chris Terry is a good man, but I don't like the fiscal priorities he favors. He wants to seek out defense contracts for the City of Southfield, which seems highly unrealistic. We have an office base here, and no real room for manufacturing facilities. I guess if there are contracts requiring office space, we do need to fill up those offices. He wants to concentrate on downtown development for shopping. I like that, but not right now. He would be my second to last choice.

Angie Waller would be last, lovely lady with her heart in the right place, but she doesn't seem to have any idea what a council person does.

Salathea Jackson is basically an auditor who wants to keep everything on the up and up. I like that, but not necessarily as the only issue. Fortunately, she has some really good ideas to deal with the growing property issues we have. She wants to concentrate on street lighting to deter crime. I don't like that idea, not here, not now. Street lighting is not a priority for our time or tax dollars. She has some interesting property tax ideas for incentives to encourage people to stay in their homes or to come here and look at buying the beautiful homes we have awaiting buyers.

Stephon Johnson seems pretty forceful on the idea of working with the property issues, and has some great ideas, but that seems to be the main thing he has studied.

Janna Garrison is also very strong on maintaining safe and secure housing. She wants to work on getting youth involved and provide incentives for community policing and crime prevention. She wants to redevelop Northland and make it viable. I think she provides less detail in her presentation than the others.

Salathea Jackson and Janna Garrison have lived here the longest. I haven't noted any of the candidates being really active in the community prior to running for office.

So, my choices in order of preference:
    Salathea Jackson
    Stephon Johnson -- Janna Garrison [[a tossup)
    Chris Terry
    Angie Waller

Janna Garrison and Salathea Jackson have lived here the longest.

As for the Treasurer's race, which you did not bring up, what is with these two promising to do something about taxes? It drives me crazy to hear them campaigning away about taxes, when their only role is to collect them. They have no voice in how much the taxes are. A lot of the taxes they collect are county taxes. Lowenberg did it last time too, so I was ready to vote against him because he didn't keep his stupid promise to lower taxes, and here comes Taylor campaigning the same exact thing. What's a voter to do?