Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Baseball instant replay

I heard Joe Buck say he favors instant replay in baseball as long as it does'nt involve the calling of balls and strikes. He also stated that they should have a system that is faster than that used in the N.F.L. After seeing the horrible calls by the umpires in this years play offs I say go for it! Anybody want to way in on this?

blksoul_x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    I heard Joe Buck say he favors instant replay in baseball as long as it does'nt involve the calling of balls and strikes. He also stated that they should have a system that is faster than that used in the N.F.L. After seeing the horrible calls by the umpires in this years play offs I say go for it! Anybody want to way in on this?
    OH HECK NO! Baseball is a very arduous sport to watch, unlike Football and Basketball, those sports are played expeditiously and can easily maintain the interest of the fan, despite a halt, [[ie; instant replay) in the action. Baseball should never want to add to the already meticulous pace we have to endure!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

Agreed BSX. What is slow now will make it sssllllooooowwwwwweeerrrr. The game already has lost a huge chunk of its audience.

Now, what sounds like a better idea is to provide a little button the fans could push to inflict an electrical shock on the umpire. Watching a low voltage tazer delivered from thousands of beer impassioned thumbs is just such an invention that would guarantee a sellout evey night.

oh, BSX, do you know where's ZuluWarrior is hiding? He usually gives his political take on things and I haven't seen him around.

blksoul_x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

...BSX, do you know where's ZuluWarrior is hiding? He usually gives his political take on things and I haven't seen him around.....
    I don't know. He is one of my favorite posters. If I find out something, I'll let you know.

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

I'm not sure if I support instant replay in baseball as the game is slow enough already.
    What I am in favor of is using the replays to grade and evaluate the umpires overall perfomance.
    It seems that they have the right kind of technology to determine valid strikes and balls. Close up replays can help with base running calls. If an umpire seems to make the blatantly wrong call a majority of the game then he should be graded as such and lose the privilege to umpire in important postseason games.
    It seems that there are way too many incorrect calls being made or is it that the video technologyof today has gotten so good we can slow it down and see much more clearly than we ever could before?
    I hate it when a bad call affects the outcome of an important game. I know umpires are human but if we have the ability to make it right than why not use that ability?

I'm all for instant replay BUT do it like they do in the NFL. Give the managers that call. Let them fight for what's right for their team. Give them X number of red flags to wave if that's what needs to be done. If we're truly fans of the game, we want the calls to be made right and the last thing I would want to see happen to MY team is a bad call going against us in a critical situation. With the span of ANY baseball game, how many controversial calls are there so how many delays can there be from replay officials?

Even with a bang bang fast sport like football, the flags aren't tossed constantly. The delays there are minimal. Getting the right call is more important than a minor inconvenience to these non-baseball fans. Technologically we can get the right call now, so why not do it? I'm not advocating replacing all of the umpires with machines, computer generated grids for strike zones and things like that for balls & strikes- why not?

Is this replay time out any more or less time consuming than having a manager out there debating [[and eventually having a temper tantrum meltdown prior to getting tossed from the game) with the crew chief and his umpires??

They should do it like the NHL, where all replays go to one location. In the NHL its the "War Room" in Toronto. I picture those guys watching all the games with buckets full of Labatt Blue and stacks of pizzas. I want that job.