Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default PALMER PARK takes center stage at MSU

There have been numerous forum threads on the 1967 riot [[or rebellion), race relations, and the decline of Detroit.

Our region has moved on and evolved, but often in the wrong ways. Some have become calloused towards Detroit and jaded by the mere thought of a Detroit rebound. However, something always happens to agitate and pick at the scabs.

"What went wrong with Detroit?" and "How to do we fix it?" are questions that we passionate Detroiters [[and the Detroit "diasporic" community) have never stopped asking. It is the discussion that has never ended, and rightfully so - not until we discover the answers and develop a solution.

That discussion continues at Michigan State University with a panel discussion and the American premiere of the stage production Palmer Park.

Internationally acclaimed playwright Joanna McClelland Glass will visit MSU during the Department of Theatre's production of her play, and join the panel discussion "The Failure of Integration" on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 5 p.m. at the RCAH Auditorium in MSU's Snyder-Phillips Hall.

Attachment 3635

Palmer Park tells the story of a White Detroit couple that moves into a Black neighborhood following the infamous race riots. Joanna Glass’ play examines diversity and inclusion from many angles. This production is part of the Big Ten university theatre initiative.

In what is the first-ever collaborative effort among theatre departments in the Big Ten, MSU will produce Joanna McClelland Glass’ play Palmer Park. Resources from this production will be shared with other universities and the entire project will be documented for showing on the Big Ten Network.
    Though, I was born two decades after the riots, the aftermath has greatly impacted me as a lifelong Detroiter. I find the subject matter very personal as many Detroiters will. And that is why it is an honor for me to be cast in this production. I will portray a 40-year-old black attorney and Palmer Park [[present-day Palmer Woods) resident.

For more information about the production, including performance schedule and videos, please visit the Department of Theatre's Web site http://thr.msu.edu/Productions/Shows/Fl2009-PalmerPark/

[NOTE: Lowell, please exempt this advertisement thread from being relocated.]
    Last edited by youngdetroiter; October-23-09 at 05:34 AM.

Bring the play and program to Wayne State University and I will definitely attend. Good luck to your production. Sounds interesting.

Bravo to youngdetroiter and the rest of the Palmer Park cast!!!

I went to see the MSU Theatre production of Palmer Park last evening and found it to be very well done performance-wise but also very thought-provoking. Being of middle school age during the time period depicted [[1968-1971) and growing up on the far east side, I wasn't aware of Palmer Park or of the Detroit Public Schools situation since I attended Catholic schools. But even having come to know the history of the city, the story told in Palmer Park is still new to me. Playwright Joanna McClelland Glass has done a nice job of telling the story, which I understand is semi-autobiographical. And the MSU Theatre students have done a terrific job!!! They were awesome!!!

There's one more performance today at 2pm. It's worth the drive!!

FYI...The Jewish Ensemble Theatre will produce Palmer Park in April.

Nice to meet you, youngdetroiter!! Hope to see you sometime at a DYes
    gathering.