Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIP Soupy Sales

Default RIP Soupy Sales

A true Detroit legend.

RIP Soupy, You made me laugh long after you left TV.

He was a very funny guy and one of the local icons of my youth. I should go out and hit someone in the face with a pie in his honor.

RIP Soupy.

His influence goes beyond more than you may realize. Please see the 3.30 mark of this video or better yet the entire video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9e1q...AA3A3&index=16

I guess the guaranteed way to know your getting old is when your icons are dying. RIP Soupy.

My wife and I had lunch with Soupy in the 50's, running home from school to watch him on TV. We later attended a show in Southgate in the 80's when he was in town. The room was filled with people our age. He told jokes and very funny stories. At the end of the show, he started to talk about White Fang and Black Tooth and the room erupted in laughter and applause. For a little while we were all kids again. In the late 70's, I would just get home from work in time to watch his show from L.A. RIP Soupy.

In the words of Bob Hope...."Thanks for the memories!" RIP Soupy

Lorax Guest

A sad day.

What a lifetime of memories we'll remember fondly. Someone who gave so much of themselves and leaving such a happy impression on others is the hallmark of a truly successful life.

Rest in peace.

Like all of you I remember Soupy most from his lunchtime tv show. Coming home for lunch from Edgar Guest Elementry & watching Soupy while my mom fixed me lunch. Although not unexpected, his passing still leaves yet another link lost from my childhood in Detroit. Does anyone know how to find any video of the stunt that happened on his show when he opened the door & there was a naked lady on the other side[[who you couldn't see) & his total unplanned reaction? Does anyone know any details of this story? Soupy, you will always have a special place in our childhood memories.

I was in kindergarten in the 1960's when my parents took my brother & I to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. We lived in Summit, NJ then. In the parade was Soupy Sales on a large horse or rocking horse. He was maybe 10 feet away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by fratman View Post
    Like all of you I remember Soupy most from his lunchtime tv show. Coming home for lunch from Edgar Guest Elementry & watching Soupy while my mom fixed me lunch. Although not unexpected, his passing still leaves yet another link lost from my childhood in Detroit. Does anyone know how to find any video of the stunt that happened on his show when he opened the door & there was a naked lady on the other side[[who you couldn't see) & his total unplanned reaction? Does anyone know any details of this story? Soupy, you will always have a special place in our childhood memories.
    Fratman,

Here it is from the Detroit Kid Show website.

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/naked_soupy.htm

Two things:

1.) I'm pretty sure that it's NSFW.

2.) Be sure to thank Ed Golick for all of his work in this area. Donations are appreciated.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ac7f200bc6a344

Buy American Guest

I heard on the radio this AM....Rest in PIE! I'll miss you Soupy. I spent many afternoons having lunch with you when I was in elementary school.

He made kids lives more fun in a time when everything was so heavily produced. R.I.P.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxSkz...eature=related

Thank you Soupy Sales. You make Detroit laugh and smile. Detroit will miss your smile and joy. The Street Prophets salute you.

What Danny said. RIP, Soup.

R.I.P Soupy. A well loved man.

For all you folks that had lunch with Soupy, it was because you walked home for lunch, you weren't bussed across town, and your Mom was there cutting off the crust on your sandwich.

With Soupy gone, it underlines how dramatically different the world is today. Without you being able to walk home, without your mom being there, Soupy never would have happened like he did.

I had the pleasure on two occasions of having lunch and dinner with Soupy in real life. He was everything that you hoped he would be, times ten. He absolutely loved Detroit and had an amazing memory for people, places and events that happened in the city 50 and more years ago.

Soupy touched so many lives in Detroit. I was witness to the following exchange a few years ago at a restaurant in Novi.
    A well dressed man approached Soupy's table and said, "Excuse me, Mr. Sales. I don't mean to interrupt your dinner, but I have to tell you that I'm a big fan of your work. I've done some TV work in Cleveland and your humor has influenced me tremendously."
    I almost didn't recognize the Soupy fan. It was Ron Sweed, better known as Cleveland horror host, The Ghoul.

Rest in peace, Soupy.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    R.I.P Soupy. A well loved man.

For all you folks that had lunch with Soupy, it was because you walked home for lunch, you weren't bussed across town, and your Mom was there cutting off the crust on your sandwich.
    Hey Gnome, how'd you get into my house and know my mom cut the crust off???

There is another Soupy Sales connection to Detroit that many of you may not be aware of. His sons, Hunt and Tony Sales, were the rhythm section for Iggy Pop on the Lust For Life album and provided the infectious beat for the title song. They later backed David Bowie as part of the Tin Machine. Here's a taste of them with Iggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQvUBf5l7Vw

You guys were lucky to have your moms cut off the crust. Mine never did and I had to slip the crusts under the table to our dog, who knew to eat them without making any noise.

Soupy will never die as far as I'm concerned. His characters and humor will stay with me forever. As well as all the fun he gave us he was a great supporter of Jazz. He was very hip, I just love the guy.

I loved his 11:00pm show - used to go down to the Maccabees bldg and stand in the hallway to watch. He was so bizarre and
    so funny. Shouting Shorty Hogan, all the other characters, it was so much fun. The clowns at 11:00 now aren't any where near as entertaining.

Soupy was the greatest! As a little kid growing up, I absolutely loved White Fang and Black Tooth!

Anyone remember Soupy selling SilverCup Bread, and if you guys really remember, he'd always tell us to be good and eat the crust off of our SilverCup Bread! Those were wonderful memories.

BTW, I had to call my older brother at 7:30 this morning to tell him Soupy has passed on to the next TV studio in the sky...RIP, you very funny man, thanks for entertaining us at lunch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast