Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Ranch

Default Detroit Ranch

A vision of a new cattle ranch

Detroit: The Mumbai of America

Lorax Guest

Not much different than this image:

http://www.a-wee-bit-of-ireland.com/...ear_ruins.jpeg

Make it work, and let Detroit return to a semi-rural society.

I love it!

Solves the problem of keeping the grass cut in Roosevelt Park.

Maybe we oughtta buy cattle and goats and set them free all over the city. They'd maintain the fields and forests and could shelter in abandoned structures. There are ranches out west that are bigger than Detroit. One of the largest cattle ranchs in the country [[in numbers of heads) used to be near East Lansing and MSU. They had some connection to Moo U. I think it was called Delta Farms.

That is a great idea..Just like in the old days of Belle Isle..The Pigs were turned out to kill the smakes.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam,

Bison would be nice!

Retroit Guest

Raising animals might be worth a try. Raising children sure hasn't worked.

"The only difference between Detroit and a Third World country is Detroit doesn't have goats in the street." - Sam Riddle

You never know it may happen

Stonechipped! Very good! Glad you came aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Raising animals might be worth a try. Raising children sure hasn't worked.

"The only difference between Detroit and a Third World country is Detroit doesn't have goats in the street." - Sam Riddle
    That's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by stonechipped View Post
    That is a great idea..Just like in the old days of Belle Isle..The Pigs were turned out to kill the smakes.
    Smakes Alive!? What is this world coming too?

Thamk you.

Rideron Guest

This is actually a great idea.

Imagine strings of 10, 20 or 30 acres farms all thru the currently vacant and/or burned out neighborhoods?

I LOVE the idea of repurposing open land in the city to grow livestock [[as well as crops and gardens). People could again feel a purpose, would gain skills in useful trades that won't be usurped by some tech advancement... or so I think, anyway. And these help sustain other related fields, such as butchering, hide tanning... Working with one's hands, being required to care for animals, reaping tangible benefits from one's work... it just sounds like it could not be a bad thing.

The vanishing landscape of Detroit with the resulting return of nature and how this could reinterpret a formerly dense industrial-residential setting has long intrigued me. So much so that it thematically crept into my art in the early 1980's.

A couples of my paintings along this line...
    "City's Edge" [34 x 55 inches]

"Gridlock" [detail - 60x48 inches] Click here to view full painting.
    Collection of WDIV Detroit

we'll need a few barb wire fences tho-i've almost hit a cow before. wouldn't want to see what that would've done to my car or face for that matter

Rideron Guest

Worrying about hitting cows driving thru Detroit. That would be offset by stopping by a farm on Vernor or Kercheval to get veggies and fresh eggs from my favorite farm...

It'll never work, theres too much cattle rustlers on the SW side.

Lowell love your artwork, the vision of Detroit ranching also came to me in the 80s, thanks for sharing

I believe that you can raise great kids and great goats !!!
    And if we could turn The D. into a farming community I for one would be in heaven !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DETROITR...13/oek3m8_vqtw

... and here I thought when I first saw this thread that this was going to a topic about the DTown version of the Mustang Ranch.

oh well ....

Me too Margie.

I could not support this proposal without explicitly knowing that the land that these agricultural activities were talking place on were free of environmental hazards. I applaud the "let'em roam" spirit; however, I feel that due to the huge amount of known and suspected environmental hazardous areas facilitated by the Detroit's industrial past [[in concert with improper handling of chemicals by both private and public persons) that in practice it would be very problematic and do more harm than good.

Rideron Guest

Put the farms in former residential areas rather than industrial sites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast