Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Burton Theatre in Detroit

I caught the following in this week's Crain's. Has anyone attended a show here? Any reviews or comments, if so? BTW, the Burton is located cater-corner from the Scott Mansion featured in the left menu column.

Attendance grows at new Burton Theatre in Detroit

What does it take to open a movie theater in Detroit? About $2,500 in used equipment and a little know-how, if you ask the owners of Detroit’s Burton Theatre.

The theater just finished its third weekend in operation — shown were Norwegian viral sensation “Dead Snow,” and “Examined Life,” a Canadian meditation on philosophy — and attendance at the city’s newest art house theater is growing, said David Allen, one of the Burton’s four co-owners. The other owners are Jeff Else, Nathan Faustyn and Matt Kelson.

The idea behind the Burton is to provide another venue for independent film in Detroit, a city that’s underserved in the film department.

Weekend shows are $7. Wednesday night specials, which Allen says have proven unexpectedly popular, are $5.

The Burton Theatre is housed in the old Burton International School, owned by developer Joel Landy, who bought into the plan in a big way.
    Source: Crain's Detroit Business "Rumblings"

Default the burton

There is another independent film theatre in Detroit?- excluding the DIA

The Burton is an interesting concept. fun atmosphere.

Both me and my sister went to Burton [[the old one) for K-8. I'd love to go back there and just check it out. Infact, me and another Burtonite always used to stop by hoping some custodian/security guard was there to show us.

I hope they didn't change it too much. I always wished they would've never left to the "new" Burton. That way, when I'm all grown up [[now), I could go back and see all the teachers. Sigh. A little of my past has just been erased. I guess its better than leaving it to rot and then demoing it.

-Tahleel

Dear Friends and Patrons,
    It has been a pleasure to serve you over the past two years and it is with heavy hearts we must inform you that effective immediately, the Burton Theatre is ceasing operation at the 3420 Cass Avenue location.
    It has been a great honor and a privilege to bring you carefully curated film offerings at the Theatre and we look forward to being able to serve you again in the coming months. During this difficult time, we ask for your patience as we work towards resuming our regular operations.
    We have existed for the past two years entirely because of your tremendous support and faith in our mission. It is our honest belief that Detroit needs and deserves the variety of interesting works we have strived to show. We can no longer do that at The Burton School, but we assure you that our story is not yet over. We are committed to this community and will do everything in our power to open our doors once again, strengthened by the ideas you have all so graciously shared with us.
    We will be sending out information to our members in the coming weeks, and will work tirelessly to ensure that the events already planned will be reworked, promoted, and produced. However tired this platitude may seem, we truly believe that "The Show Must Go On!"
    We offer our genuine thanks for everything you have done for us over the years. We cannot express enough the gratitude and love we feel for you: the community, the film afficionados, and the cineastes.

Cheers
    Mathew, Nathan, David, and Jeff
    The Burton Theatre

Dang! Wish I had gone there more, or at least had a chance to cash in my groupon.

What a cool place. Went there for the first time on a eerily quiet snowy night back closer to when it opened. Can still hear trying to find the bathroom among the hissing basement pipes.

Their programming was filling a significant niche, good luck to them finding a new home.

Did the city or landlord kick them out?

Stromberg2

Landlord. http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-money-dispute

Louis Aguilar / / The Detroit News
    Detroit— The Burton Theatre, the movie house in Detroit's Cass Corridor that offered independent film programming, abruptly closed this week over a dispute with its landlord.
    The four young cinephiles behind the 130-seat theater broke the news late Monday on the Burton Theatre's Facebook page. "Effective immediately, the Burton Theatre is ceasing operation at the 3420 Cass Avenue location," said part of the Facebook post.
    The Burton was housed in a former elementary school and was opened in October 2009 by Matt Kelson, Nathan Faustyn, Jeff Else and David Allen.
    The move house offered a mix of art house, documentary, foreign, cult classic and other films. The Burton appeared to have gained a steady clientele that appeared to be growing.
    The closing came because of a money dispute with the building's landlord, said David Allen on Monday afternoon. At that point, Allen said the theater operators were still hopeful the issue could be resolved. But at the same time, he and others were busy removing equipment from the Cass Avenue building.
    By Monday night, the group posted its farewell from its current location.
    Said the posting: "It is our honest belief that Detroit needs and deserves the variety of interesting works we have strived to show. We can no longer do that at the Burton School, but we assure you that our story is not yet over.

Drat... I was looking forward to hitting it when I move back.

Best of luck on a new venue. We need things like this!

Does anyone have contact information for the former operators?

I hope nothing happens to that building: it's gorgeous. I'm sure you'll find a new building soon. Best of luck to all of you...you're much needed in Detroit. In the meantime, do you have a website address you could post?

"A money dispute".... does that mean not paying their rent?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    "A money dispute".... does that mean not paying their rent?
    Possibly. It can also mean a whole host of other issues too, some of them having nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Possibly. It can also mean a whole host of other issues too, some of them having nothing to do with money.
    it was a landlord issue. they were on WDET... they couldn't agree on rent.