Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default National attention for successful Detroit biz sector

David Sax, author of a new book called Save the Deli, sees Detroit as a standard to emulate.
    Detroit is a great deli city. If only GM could learn from what the delis in Detroit are doing!

The best rye bread anywhere — double-baked, crispy, warm rye that they serve their sandwiches with — and great corned beef. It's a passionate deli town.
    -- Time magazine interview

He also gave our city a shout in a Washington, D.C., radio interview this week. [[Link is to article, not audio.)

He wrote this up at some length on the Atlantic Monthly site, pointing out that double-baked rye bread was actually invented here. FWIW, I've eaten deli sandwiches in a lot of places, and I agree with him.

http://food.theatlantic.com/behind-t...-rye-bread.php

The food is EXCELLENT here, as I've said in my White City thread. And CHEAP compared to many other metro's. Best kept secret about the D, in my opinion.

Thanks, now my lunch is completely uninteresting and I want a reuben from the deli down the street.