Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wow, you guy's are great!! It sure is nice to hear other people's memories' about a time that will alway's be one of my favoite "Detroit" memories'. Thank's

I remember a christmas festival event at cobo hall, to a young boy it was a wonderful experience!

Lorax Guest

Not to threadjack here, but does anyone remember the tudor house on Jefferson Ave. in Grosse Pointe Farms, near Rose Terrace that had a Christmas "village" set up behind the gates in their front driveway?

As a kid of 12 or so I remember going there several times. It created quite a traffic jam, and was open only after dark to show off the lights and automatons bobbing around in the village houses and shops.

The Cobo Hall Christmas Carnival became even larger for a time in the 1980's after Hudson's closed downtown. This started with the Christmas Season of 1983.
    One season Hudson's had it's "Little People's Shop" set up a Cobo, another year
    [[84, or 85) they set it up at the Ren Center.

For the "youngins" on the forum, The Little Peoples Shop was a special Christmas Season department where kids could buy inexpensive gifts for their parents, teachers, and the like.

Ken

I want to ses an image of the big Snowman slide that's displays during Christmas time at CoBo hall in détroit. Mich. The links posted here dont work. TIA Send To: tmat1959@gmail.com

I remember going to the Christmas Party and carnival at Cobo Hall in 1970

Maybe with the Auto Show moving to the summer, the Christmas Festival could return to Cobo. I know winter blast is after the holidays, but maybe the Christmas Festival could be a kickoff for a bunch of winter events downtown.

Ray1936,

I was about to post a note asking whether I recalled correctly that the Cobo Hall display was a response to loss of the Ford Rotunda, so you're not the only one who remembers this. I recall being taken there in its first[[?) year around 1962 or `63, probably as a diversion from a trip to Hudson's.

The only thing I remember is a big installation of AMT-brand slot cars, the only time I saw these sophisticated, rare, toys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2