Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anyone still go to the Ivanhoe[[Polish Yacht Club)?

My wife's Grandmother used to tend bar for many year's at the Ivanhoe, her name was Trudie, she passed away a few year's back and I would like to see if anyone remember's her and could share some memories'.[[maybe pic's)? I haven't been there, but plan on going soon, if it's still open?

Recently received a T-shirt from my oldest son from the Cafe. Motto: "Where you meet good friends". Telephone: 313 925 5335. Still open.

I have not been there in over 25 years. Don't have a Polish Yacht. Always enjoyed the joke. Intend to go with spouse as soon as we get a little cash ahead.

Yes1 and there is a coupon in the Entertainment book

I was in there a couple of years ago. It seemed nice. A guy I work with still meets friends there for lunch.

I haven't been there in a couple of years despite working nearby. The last time I was there I was with some colleagues for lunch on the day Bo Schembechler died. Not celebrating, just a coincidence.
    Last edited by jackie5275; October-22-09 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add a clarification

Is this the place? On Mt. Elliot at Dorothy?

Patty the owner has chased many of the oldtimers, away.

No, it's on Jos Campau & Frederick. 5249 Jos Campau. They even have a website now! http://www.ivanhoecafe-pyc.com/pycmain.html

I would think that Patty, as Big John's daughter, would be a favorite with the old-timers...

Still the most wonderful perch dinner.

This is it:

For several years I worked at a wholesale food place in Eastern Market. Lots of our restaurant customers would bring food samples from their establishments. Ivanhoes promised to bring us the best vegetable soup we had ever eaten. Boy were they right!

Does anybody know what that building is in the picture that Lowell posted? Is that on Mt. Eliot by Miller?

What is a polish yacht anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post

Landlocked!!!!!

Hey guy's any pic's of the inside with the worker's/wait staff?? My wife's grandma Trudy worked there from the mid 50's till the early 90's. All the big time detroit mover's and shaker's used to frequent the Ivanhoe. I got a pic of Forrest Tucker [[sgt. Orouke from F-Troop)at the Bar, I'll try to post it soon, so please post any pic's you might have. Oh the little girl streaking in the pic of the Yacht club member's is my wife's sister Kelly. My wife has alot of knowledge on this place if you got any question's?

My Uncle remembers Tudie. He even has a very large Beefeater bottle [[with stand) that she poured out of to make his martinis!!

My grandfather was an aide to Mayor Johnnie Smith during the Depression. Smith was a beloved mayor for the worst of times. The Ivanhoe was his place to meet and greet, so my Grandfather spent a lot time there. My dad was often there with his Father and my dad later became a founding member of the Polish Yacht Club. He was also a member of the Smith Old-Timers - a group of mostly bar-owners who kept Johnnie Smith's philanthropy alive through the 1980's. I imagine gone now. I still go there to meet up with the lovely ghosts of time gone by.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    Landlocked!!!!!
    Nice joke. But Poland has water. Thing Gdansk Shipyards / Solidarity / Baltic Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    If you have to ask, you don't need to know!

I've wanted to go to Ivanhoe for years but their hours make it impossible for me. Too bad, it's one of the few Detroit institutions I have not been able to visit.

GUSHI Guest

Hey any one know what this place is, I use to ride my bike by it as a little kid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Is this the place? On Mt. Elliot at Dorothy?

I've often wondered about that place myself. My mother grew up about a block from that building. Unfortunately all my relatives that would have info on it are now deceased.

It looks like it could have been a club or maybe a restaurant. I imagine it's changed hands many times over the years.
    Last edited by rjk; July-20-11 at 07:47 PM.

GUSHI Guest

I think there use to be motor cycles parked outside of it, I wonder if it was ever a m/c.

DetroitPole Guest

Ivanhoe is still great. Ain't no Applebees shit food and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Ivanhoe is still great. Ain't no Applebees shit food and atmosphere.
    But, wait,... I thought what Detroit needs to make it turn around is a Cheesecake Factory....I don't understand!!!!