Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pugh eyes council despite looming foreclosure

From the Detroit Free Press:

Charles Pugh said this morning he's committed to running for Detroit City Council even though his downtown condominium is scheduled to be on the foreclosure auction block at the end of the month.

http://freep.com/article/20091021/NE...looms-for-Pugh

So...another council member hopeful feels its ok to default on your mortgage after 12 eviction notices at another residence? The excuse being, he, like many Americans, have fallen on hard times...

Is Dave Bing looking for a roommate?

Buy American Guest

Just another candidate with no experience in politics thinking that Detroit residents will elect him on NAME RECOGNITION only. I hope Detroiters have learned their lessons and do the right thing and elect qualified people to council. Pugh can't handle his own expenses, where does he get the balls to think he can run a City that is in such a desperate condition financially??? Elect Cockrel for Council President, try to get back Shiela Cockrel and maybe Detroit stands a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Just another candidate with no experience in politics thinking that Detroit residents will elect him on NAME RECOGNITION only. I hope Detroiters have learned their lessons and do the right thing and elect qualified people to council. Pugh can't handle his own expenses, where does he get the balls to think he can run a City that is in such a desperate condition financially??? Elect Cockrel for Council President, try to get back Shiela Cockrel and maybe Detroit stands a chance.
    I agree but I would like to know who you would vote for. You take the easy task of bitching about everyone that was elected, casting judgement on those that elected them [[and it is deserved) with the luxury of never having to state who you would support.

If your not choosing you can bitch about the electorate no matter who is elected. So who would you vote for for Mayor and CC?

Elect Cockrel for Council President, try to get back Shiela Cockrel and maybe Detroit stands a chance.
    The guy who rubber stamped every "Friends & Family" contract that Kwame Kilpatrick ever submitted? Him?

For Council President?

How about if we just try solving the City's financial problems by answering all of those emails from the Central Bank of Nigeria?

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I agree but I would like to know who you would vote for. You take the easy task of bitching about everyone that was elected, casting judgement on those that elected them [[and it is deserved) with the luxury of never having to state who you would support.

If your not choosing you can bitch about the electorate no matter who is elected. So who would you vote for for Mayor and CC?
    I know who I wouldn't vote for....I wouldn't vote for someone who is being foreclosed on, who can't make payments in a timely fashion, who it takes being sued before he pays, that's Pugh. Also, anyone else on the present council who has been foreclosed on [[there is no excuse for that with the salaries and perks they receive), or who is running and has financial problems and can't pay their bills. I know of many people in Detroit who don't have high salaries, who don't have a car provided to them at someone elses expense, who don't have expense accounts and they pay their bills, that's their first priority. Why would the voting public in Detroit put some irresponsible person into office to handle City expenses??? Felons wouldn't be on my list either. As far as finding people of integrity, honesty, and transparency....I'm not sure who those people are and IF there are any prospective candidates who are running. Do you know of anyone running who is above reproach? Do you know of anyone who is qualified?

I'm not "casting judgement" on anyone. It's obvious that the voting public in Detroit have made their positions clear when they gave thug KK chance after chance because he has the storefront clergy behind him. He was a good talker and sold the public a crock of crap...and the voting Detroiters, after being raped and pillaged by him, put him back in office again!!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how the voting public decides things in Detroit.

Charles Pugh's condo foreclosure problems will not effect his campaign for Detroit city councilman. His popularity as a Fox 2 News anchorman rather than his principles will win him a seat in no time.

I know who I wouldn't vote for....I wouldn't vote for someone who is being foreclosed on, who can't make payments in a timely fashion, who it takes being sued before he pays, that's Pugh. Also, anyone else on the present council who has been foreclosed on [[there is no excuse for that with the salaries and perks they receive), or who is running and has financial problems and can't pay their bills. I know of many people in Detroit who don't have high salaries, who don't have a car provided to them at someone elses expense, who don't have expense accounts and they pay their bills, that's their first priority. Why would the voting public in Detroit put some irresponsible person into office to handle City expenses??? Felons wouldn't be on my list either. As far as finding people of integrity, honesty, and transparency....I'm not sure who those people are and IF there are any prospective candidates who are running. Do you know of anyone running who is above reproach? Do you know of anyone who is qualified?

I'm not "casting judgement" on anyone. It's obvious that the voting public in Detroit have made their positions clear when they gave thug KK chance after chance because he has the storefront clergy behind him. He was a good talker and sold the public a crock of crap...and the voting Detroiters, after being raped and pillaged by him, put him back in office again!!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how the voting public decides things in Detroit.
    So what you are saying is that you are keeping your options open to critique everyone without having to claim support for someone that fails. Cowardly approach.

You cite Kwame but you ignore that the vote was very close which indicated that just less than half supported Hendrix.

Hell, as opposed to stating 8 people you would support you only need to list 3. I'm sure that you'll come up with some other bs excuse why you shouldn't state who you think is a viable candidate. If you commit to anyone then you have to deal with the the consequences of supporting them..

It is easier to take no position and bitch. That way you're always 'right'. Cowardly and full of shit, but 'right'.

Here, I'll make it easy for you. Here is the list of candidates - name as few as three that you would support. Someone that 'cares' so much should have at least a basic idea. I however suspect you prefer to play the role of bitching after the fact.

It's not that I completely disagree with you about the voters in the ctiy needing to make better, more informed decisions it is more an issue that you complain about everyone. If you don't have to choose you are correct 100% of the time when you can bitch about who was elected after they fail.

John K. Bennett Gary Brown Ken Cockrel Jr.David J. Cross Jai-Lee Dearing Shelley I. Foy Fred Elliott Hall Lisa Howze Saunteel Jenkins Raphael B. Johnson Brenda JonesKwame Kenyatta Mohamed Okdie Charles Pugh Andre L. Spivey James Tate Alberta Tinsley-Talabi JoAnn Watson

I am voting for:
    Gary Brown
    John Bennett
    Ken Cockrel

Only three. No women. No ministers. No celebrities.

Since the charter commission may be more important that CC in the long term feel free to tell us ignorant voters which candidates you would support as charter commissioners.

The list to make it easy for you:

Cara J. BlountKen ColemanWarren A. CrockettReggie Reg DavisJohn R. EddingsPatty FedewaJenice Mitchell FordKen HarrisFreman HendrixElena M. HerradaTeola P. HunterJohn JohnsonJonathan C. KinlochSarah D. LileTonya Myers-PhillipsOlumba-John OlumbaJeffery D. RobinsonRose Mary C. Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I am voting for:
    Gary Brown
    John Bennett
    Ken Cockrel

Only three. No women. No ministers. No celebrities.
    Good approach. I wish people only voted for who they truly supported. not choosing 8 people because they can.

I did not vote for Mr.Pugh in the primary and will not vote for him in the general election. Not because he forclosed on his property. The man has been out of work for 6 months I don't know how he thought he was going to pay his mortgage. But I don't think it is fair to pay for a 385,000 condo that isn't worth half that amount. Just like everyone else, people are walking away from there homes and walking right across the street to get the same property for half the amount. The property is not worth it. He can't sell it or even refinance it.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    So what you are saying is that you are keeping your options open to critique everyone without having to claim support for someone that fails. Cowardly approach.

You cite Kwame but you ignore that the vote was very close which indicated that just less than half supported Hendrix.

Hell, as opposed to stating 8 people you would support you only need to list 3. I'm sure that you'll come up with some other bs excuse why you shouldn't state who you think is a viable candidate. If you commit to anyone then you have to deal with the the consequences of supporting them..

It is easier to take no position and bitch. That way you're always 'right'. Cowardly and full of shit, but 'right'.

You're pretty frustrated aren't you. Believe me, I would be to if I lived in Detroit and had to put up with the corruption in City Hall. I'm frustrated over what's happening to my home town as well pal. A lot hinges on who is elected to the Mayor's office as well as the City Council.

There has never been a personal, name calling attack from me and I would expect to receive the same courtesy. But, then again, that's how some people in Detroit handle disagreements isn't it? Throw out any "cards" you like, the truth will set you free my man.

As a courtesy, here are three names that I would put a check mark next to IF I were voting in Detroit.

Ken Cockrel
    Gary Brown
    John Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by BW7085 View Post
    But I don't think it is fair to pay for a 385,000 condo that isn't worth half that amount. Just like everyone else, people are walking away from there homes and walking right across the street to get the same property for half the amount. The property is not worth it. He can't sell it or even refinance it.
    Why isn't it fair? That's what it appraised at. I am sorry, property is an investment, you have to pay what it was appraised at at the time, and hope you can afford it, if it goes down in value, chances are it is going to go up. I am frankly tried of that excuse. It's something called responsibility, fiscally and otherwise...

Why not? Isn't a loan based on what was borrowed? What does the current value of the property have to do with anything?

But I don't think it is fair to pay for a 385,000 condo that isn't worth half that amount

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Why not? Isn't a loan based on what was borrowed? What does the current value of the property have to do with anything?
    Thank you, its like saying you want nothing less than the price you paid for the stock because it was worth more when you bought it than when you sold it...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Charles Pugh's condo foreclosure problems will not effect his campaign for Detroit city councilman. His popularity as a Fox 2 News anchorman rather than his principles will win him a seat in no time.
    Well said Danny

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Exactly my point. I agree 100% Danny. He was very contrite during an interview on Fox 2 at 5pm. Yes, he's having the same problems as many people throughout Detroit and the U.S., but when you run for public office you have to show that you're able to control your own business before you're asked to handle the business of 900,000 residents. His finances are small compared to the finances of Detroit....he can't handle paying his own bills, keeping his mortgage up to date, then don't run for office. You don't quit a job before having another job lined up. What was he thinking? Again, did he think the fairy godmother was going to fly the money into the window?

Leave charlie alone! He used to be a fox 2 problem solver!

I did not vote for Mr.Pugh in the primary and will not vote for him in the general election. Not because he forclosed on his property. The man has been out of work for 6 months I don't know how he thought he was going to pay his mortgage. But I don't think it is fair to pay for a 385,000 condo that isn't worth half that amount. Just like everyone else, people are walking away from there homes and walking right across the street to get the same property for half the amount. The property is not worth it. He can't sell it or even refinance it.
    Good Grief ! I can't believe you wrote that. The guy bought the property, he went into the deal with his eyes open [[ hopefully) It's his OBLIGATION to pay for it. It's too damm bad the value went down. Just because other people are walking away and ruining their credit doesn't make it the right thing to do......does it ?

from another thread on this same topic:

So if he has a $300K mortage at 8.5% he is paying around $2,800 a month on the note. Another $300 in Association dues and a $1000 a month in taxes ... that's $4,100 a month

If Charles some how can save his condo from foreclosure he'll be on the hook for a chunk of dough and his $80 grand salary might not cover his expenses.

http://www.paycheckcity.com/copaycyc...CalcResult.asp

His weekly take home will be a little over a $1000 or about $4,100 a month.
    What is not included in that monthly note is insurance. So his $4,100 a month on the condo note, taxes and association dues is more like $4,600 a month. Of course that is before any utilities ... think another $150 for gas and electric and Charles needs about $4,800 a month just to keep the place going. No food, no clothing or entertainment. No gasoline or car insurance. No toothpaste or toilet paper.

QUESTION:
    If you needed at least $4,800 a month for housing, would you then campaign for a job that let's you take home $4,100?

Is that common sense?

Rideron Guest

Since when has financial responsibility, or responsibility of any kind, been a trait that matters when seeking public office in Detroit???

You're pretty frustrated aren't you. Believe me, I would be to if I lived in Detroit and had to put up with the corruption in City Hall. I'm frustrated over what's happening to my home town as well pal. A lot hinges on who is elected to the Mayor's office as well as the City Council.
    Frustrated with the city? Absoutely. It is still where I choose to live and hearing your sweeping generalizations [[like most in this region) really add nothing of value.

There has never been a personal, name calling attack from me and I would expect to receive the same courtesy. But, then again, that's how some people in Detroit handle disagreements isn't it? Throw out any "cards" you like, the truth will set you free my man.
    I'm indifferent to calling names but your constant generalizations and overly arrogant judgemental tone are no different than calling names. As I'm sure you are intelligent enough to realize content of statements can be much more offensive than singular words. You making sweeping generalizations and point blame at all Detroiters while ignoring little things like 45+% voted against KK.

As a courtesy, here are three names that I would put a check mark next to IF I were voting in Detroit.

Ken Cockrel
    Gary Brown
    John Bennett
    Thanks. It's about time you show support for specific candidates so you can't cast judgement on all if someone fails. I will be voting for those three as well but that won't stop you from pointing the finger of blame at me and everyone else even if they get elected and do not make critical improvements to the city.

I wish poor little me could make enough money to move to your ivory tower. Then I could make sweeping generalizations and cast blame on hundreds of thousands. Life would be grand if i could just claw my way out of Detroit and live that glorious life that has been afforded to you.

One poor, ignorant Detroiter can dream.

[[Please note the heavy sarcasm)
    Last edited by jt1; October-22-09 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    from another thread on this same topic:

What is not included in that monthly note is insurance. So his $4,100 a month on the condo note, taxes and association dues is more like $4,600 a month. Of course that is before any utilities ... think another $150 for gas and electric and Charles needs about $4,800 a month just to keep the place going. No food, no clothing or entertainment. No gasoline or car insurance. No toothpaste or toilet paper.

QUESTION:
    If you needed at least $4,800 a month for housing, would you then campaign for a job that let's you take home $4,100?

Is that common sense?
    Point takenand I agree 100%. His taxes, however are significantly lower since it is an NEZ property.
    Last edited by jt1; October-22-09 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast