Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where do you shop in Detroit?

Hello, I have created a website where people can upload pictures of things they've bought in Detroit and share where they got them at. The idea behind the site is to raise awareness for local businesses and all that is available IN the city. I'm hoping that this can be something fun and positive for the community. If you shop in Detroit please check it out and upload a picture: http://boughtindetroit.com.
    Thanks,
    Andrea

For Clothes, I shop at the Forman Mills in Bel-Air Centre. For some of my food items, I shop at the Aldi on 8 Mile and Gratiot.

Otherwise, I usually just go to the suburbs or CVS for everything else [[I live right off 8 Mile).
    Last edited by 313WX; October-21-09 at 12:53 PM.

ziggyselbin Guest

Otherwise, I usually just go to the suburbs or CVS for everything else [[I live right off 8 Mile).

313wx kinda answers it right there

Ive shopped at Black Whole collective [[Highland Park) Value World [[for clothes) on Woodward. Some other collective place on Cass; record shops downtown and a spot on 6 mile near Dequindre......

I generally frequent many of the open air drug markets around town. Whoever has the biggest cleanest crack- rocks get the majority of my business.

That's a great idea! Thanks, Andrea!

If you enjoy T-shirts from local designers, DSE between Broadway and Centre in Harmonie Park is a cool little spot. I like to buy groceries from the HoneyBee market on Bagley across from the train station, one of the best markets in town. John K. King at Lafayette and the Lodge is great for used and antique books. There's lots of good deals in the eastern market for meat, produce, and imported goods, R Hirt Jr. is my favorite, especially for cheese, wholesale and one-of-a-kind utensils. Radio Shack on Woodward and Canfield has great staff and will send you awesome coupons once you make a purchase there. Shantinique's Music on Harper near Gratiot has a great selection of mainstream, local music, and hiphop style clothes and shoes. Value World on Woodward by Chandler has good prices on resale clothing and household items. Just to name a few........

Most of my shopping is done in Detroit. The little I spend outside of the city is in GPP. My list of favorite places is too long to list. My only advice to people is support your local independent stores. Where ever you live shop local!

Victory Liquor, located on West Warren Avenue, somewhere's around Piedmont area, has just about everything to satisfy your one-stop shopping needs. You can buy incense, a ball cap, a cool hoody, dice, playing cards, fantastic DVDs, forty's, panty hose, ummmmm, lottery tickets, Cheetos, Now and Later's, Strawberry Shortcakes ice-creamsickles, Hennesey, sun glasses, cereal, tomatos soup..... I mean the list just goes on and on. The stimulai injected into the local economy as result of these mechandise sales goes a long way in preserving the fine City of Detroit and also, to some extent, the city of Saigon. Truly a global impact.

Does Shantaniques sell records?

Ravine Guest

This thread seems to be turning into a "one-stop" for the recording of thinly-veiled racial stereotyping.

Very tacky.

where do you shop and hangout at in the D Ravine? I like discovering out of the way-off the beaten path little unique spots deep in the soul of Detroit..want to check out some of the many little flea markets....

Detroit blogger John has a knack for discovering unique shops in Detroit...the puppet place on a westside service drive I think off Schaefer near the Lodge....

Ravine Guest

Terryh:

I don't shop.
    I don't hang out.

Not kidding.
    Not being a smart-ass.

Ravine Guest

Oh, and Terryh? I think you probably already deduced this, but my initial comment was not meant for you, not at all.

ok Ravine...just chill at home eh?

Ravine Guest

Damn right. I still work for a living, and I do venture out to buy pipe tobacco, but other than that? Home, home, home.

I will second John King Books... Four floors of used books at a fraction of the cost, and you can bring in your old books for sale or trade. If you like to read, you should go.

Eastern Market is another gem. Buy your food direct from the farmers and wholesalers at a fraction of the cost. The shopping experience is awesome. When was the last time you talked to the farmer who grew your produce?

I also have to put in a plug for the Food Pride grocery store on E. Warren and St Antoine. This indie Spartan store doesn't look like much from the outside, but the produce and meat sections are quite good, the aisles are well-stocked and kept in immaculate condition, and the prices rival the big suburban grocery chains.

I actually get a lot of my shopping done at the Super KMart at Telegraph and Eight Mile. Groceries, casual clothes, household items, toys for the young nieces and nephews. It's nice to be able to get alot of what I need in one place. I'm also partial to KMart, because they have always kept at least one store in the City.

I'll also hit the Home Depot on Seven and Meyers for home related items. Purchased some new landscape lights there a couple of weeks ago.

Most of the stuff you have on your page is not essential stuff [[with the exception of the food from Eastern Market). Is this the goal of your site? If not no wonder this City is in terrible shape and you can't find many places to buy simple stuff like underwear within its limits.

Me? I shop at the various Fairlane malls. Why? Its close to my house and has what I need.

[QUOTE=DetroitPlanner;82942]Most of the stuff you have on your page is not essential stuff [[with the exception of the food from Eastern Market). Is this the goal of your site? If not no wonder this City is in terrible shape and you can't find many places to buy simple stuff like underwear within its limits.

No that is not the goal of the site. The site is entirely created by people participating, that is what people have uploaded so far. That's part of the reason why I am reaching out to different forums. In my research I found that Detroiters spend 1.7 billion on retail outside of the city, part of the goal of creating the site was to see if some of that money could be redirected to being spent in the city if people were more aware of the places to shop here. It would be great if people would upload some of the essentials they have found for the reason you state above, where do i go to buy underwear in Detroit?

andrea, in many places within the City limits there are Family Dollar stores. Not exactly the fanciest of underwears, but they do have Fruit of the Loom or Hanes.

Its sad how few people have places to shop downtown.

There is a small hardware store in Hamtramck on Conant [[N side of Hamtramck.)

For Beads, visit the African Bead Museum on 6559 Grand River [[near West Grand Boulevard). In the summer, every saturday, he has a reggae band on an outside stage at night. He has a lot of sculpture and the building is covered with broken mirrors, so it is a very unique experience visiting him.

There is the Hub, a bikeshop on Cass. You can buy a used bike or get one fixed. It is near Mack [[martin Luther King Drive).
    Last edited by RickBeall; October-25-09 at 08:01 PM.

It's not impossible to find everything one needs within city limits. The problem is the retail avaliablity is so sparse and disproportionate that sometimes it's less stressful if one just crossed suburban borders and visit a more familiar [[usually chain) establishment than drive on the other side of town searching for some strange mom & pop business.

Look at it this way. Let's say the folks that live in Palmer Park want some FRESH baked goods from Dunkin Donuts. The pre-packaged stuff at the gas station around the corner just isn't getting it. It would be much easier for them to travel a mile or so up Woodward into Ferndale instead of going all the way on the far eastside [[8 Mile & Gratiot) for a dozen glazed donuts just to keep money circulating within city limits. Then let's say a family in East English Village wanted to go to Super Kmart to shop for groceries. Why would they travel all the way over to 8 Mile & Telegraph [[a 30 minute or longer drive) well out of their way when they can take a 5-10 minute drive [[5 miles or less) to the Super Kmart on 10 & Gratiot?

I'm sure Detroiters would be more than willing to shop within city limits if these stores were actually in their neighborhood. However, I'm sure someone located near Moross & Mack isn't going to travel all the way on Jefferson for a Staples [[just because it's in the city) when they can go right down the street to the Staples in Grosse Pointe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast