Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jimg, EastsideAl and JLeurck. Thank you all so much. What a relief to get his name. I last saw them many years ago. Randy changed his last name [[I can't remember to what) and said that Rick had too. It's been many years - 20 or more. I worked the private and country clubs with Randy. To be honest, I don't know for sure that he's from Delray. Or, as many later generations had, moved to the burbs. Randy said they were related to the Bella's. Of course, my experience with ethnic groups, especially recent immigrants, is they often call each other cousins and family. They aren't always blood relatives, but from the same area or village. Sometimes they were sponsors. Like many of the Greeks I grew up and hung out with in Ecorse Greek Town. My Gyspy relatives [[by marriage) had all moved out of Delray to Rouge, Ecorse and beyond over the years. There can't be but a few thousand people left in all of Delray at this time.

Kovacs was always a spot on our bi-annual pub crawls - along with Al's and Hungarian Village and none of us were Hungarian. It was always great fun, the music, and the fortune tellers at the Hungarian Village. Once Joey's went, all
    of that Jefferson Ave vibe just disappeared. But, that 's why
    we remember it so fondly.

I myself never went to the place, I need to stop by one day.
    I don't get down that way too often so I need a roadtrip.

Most of Delray and the West Jefferson bars were gone long before Joey's disappeared. The Marblefront, Sport's, 007, Spike's, etc. Joey's only lasted as long as it did because Joey's wife was alive and well and living upstairs. A magnificent and beautiful woman she was. Once she passed on, her son and grandson had no clue as to running the business. Actually, her grandson was living out of state. Virgil Ciungan from Ciungan's in Ecorse, which had burned previously, took a stab at running Joey's, ostensibly to buy it. He bowed out and Joey's was history. But not because they couldn't have persevered, even in Delray, but rather because the son had no desire or reason to work. With some polishing, maintenance, modern accounting and menu scoring, Joey's could've lasted much longer, had someone the desire.They auctioned the place piece by piece and got much less than they planned.

You could write a book on bars1KielsonDrive!

Do you know the story of the closed bar on Jefferson across the river from Zug Island? the last time I was out that way it was still standing. It is right on the shore of the Detroit River ... or Rouge maybe at that point? it is Built on a hill. I was taking pictures there 2 years ago and someone keeps a big dog inside still to guard the place. Nothing like a dog snarl that displaces as much as as a bass drum to keep you out of someone's back yard! The front has curved glass block windows. And round port holes in the door [[I think). It looks like it's been closed for 20 years. There is a dilapidated house right next to it. There are no other buildings on that part of Jefferson. I always admired that building and wondered about its' story. I hope I described it well enough.

Me being me, I wrote a song about Del Ray. Soem of the words are:

Welcome to Del Ray, I hope that you stay
    Welcome to Del Ray, Come down to my place.
    I got a little place by the side of the river
    people used to come around and shake and shiver ....

I was writing about that bar.

Hi Rick,

This is the bar you are speaking of, right? It fits your description.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...63.19,,0,11.01

I've been driving past this abandoned bar for a couple of years, on my way downtown to work, using Jefferson instead of I-75. Just this past week, I saw workmen on the inside. The next day, the whole area was filled with trailers, trucks and there were many people milling around. Didn't have time to stop and ask. On the way in yesterday, in addition to people all over, I saw several kleig lights on stands in the doorway. I'm assuming they were making a film there. Perhaps related to the one that is supposed to be filmed at Kovac's, as mentioned in the detroitblog article. Anyone have any idea which film it might be? Never thought I be wondering which of so many films were shooting in Detroit. Encouraging.

As detroitsgweniere wrote:
    I went to that bar today with another bar owner to take a look, and the men out front with the power saws said they're getting ready to film a movie there.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Detroitblog wrote about filming "Hoffa" at Kovac's. Wonder which new film they're working on? "Red Dawn"? That doesn't make sense. Oh well, never thought I'd live to see the day when I don't know which film they're working on in Detroit?

Yep, that's the place. In the picture does not look like much, but up close, it is a beautifully detailed building. In the back there is a large area on stilts overlooking the river. That part of it was reeeel rickedy.

Up close, the entrance is almost like the entrance to a movie theatre. I would love to see the interior. Maybe I will, if I get to see the movie!

Keilson- what was the name of the bar on W. Jeff , across from Yellow freight, that had good hamburgers?
    We would frequent it back in the 70's

The bar Rick Beall inquired about and featured in the google photo was Rosie's. It was a lively neighborhood joint in it's days. Next door toward the north or left in the photo, was a gas station and to the right in the photo was apartment barges floating on the Rouge [[yes, Rick) River between Rosie's and the train bridge to Zug. The apartment barges were owned by a woman I knew well for many years. She tried convincing a friend and I to rent them. We passed on living on the beautiful Rouge River. On the other side [[south and to the right in the picture) of the train bridge to Zug was another gas station. I'm quite sure it was a Standard Oil Station during the 60's. It had a nice white fence along the back of the lot. Kids from Delray used to jump and swim in the Rouge River from there. Further to the right is the building that housed the John Kar Bottling Company and even further still, is the original home of Marine Pollution Controls Corporation, now known as MPC Environmental. The reason I mention that is because it was founded and is still owned by Dave Usher. Dave was most recently in the news for announcing the death of his very close, long time friend, Soupy Sales. Dave Usher's two best friends were Soupy and Dizzy Gillespie. He was often in Joey's Stables with them. His building that houses MPC was originally owned by Gus Nykiel, Joey's brother. At one time it had a boat house on the river side, that was a reception point for smuggling. Gus was reputed to be an associate of the Purple Gang. I'm not sure of this, but I believe he was shot to death at the front door of Joey's during prohibition. There was also evidence of tunnels running beneath West Jefferson from Joey's to Gus's [[MPC) building. A few years ago, Dave Usher bought the former Marine Supply Warehouse, and housed his new company in it. His new company was called 'Birk's Works'. He named it after his dear, departed friend, John Birks 'Dizzy' Gillespie. There is now another 'Birk's Works' building on Mt. Elliot near 8 Mile in Detroit. I found that one by accident on a pub crawl. I was fortunate to have a drink and conversation with Dave at Baker's a few years ago for a SEMJA gathering. I may have a photo of Dave to post. He is a real and original, 'hep cat'.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; October-25-09 at 02:17 PM.

That bar could've been The Bank, or The Delray Cafe, or Kovac's, or..........there was another one right at the Delray Connectiong Railroad tracks. I can't remember the name now. 'The Bank' was originally that - an NBD branch. It was bought and owned by Jimmy from the City Hall Coney Island in River Rouge. His partner Chris, owned Milo's Sugar Shack on Dix and Central.

I always liked the octagonal windows and metal facade panels on Rosie's.

Ref. Dave Usher, yeah you right 1K, Diz was his close friend, they started DeeGee records in 1951 to showcase Birk's considerable talents after Diz became unhappy with Capitol's promotion and material selection. If you, or anyone else, is interested, I have a bio of the "House of Usher" which I'll share if requested. Dave is one of the few remaining old time Record Men ...he used to sell them out of his car trunk, in the Emanon Records days at least, when he issued a couple of 78s featuring guys from Diz' orchestra.
    Dave worked A&R for Argo recs in Chi and waxed some sublime tracks by Ahmad Jamal and, especially, Sonny Stitt with Barry Harris, Will Austin, and Frank Gant, and also a trio session led by Harris. Everything you need to know about Barry or Stitt are in those sessions.
    Diz was also on the Board of Directors for MPC.

That's another reason Dave named his businees after Diz.

Jimg, please post any and all you care to share about those guys and the whole music/recording scene. Thanks for your stories. I'll post more stories soon.

Keilson- it wasn't the Bank, Kovacs, or the delray cafe

John Kar Bottling was where all the pop was purchased for my wedding in 1972. My parents also bought most of the pop they drank there.

Cool stories guys! You would not know it was such a happening area when viewing the dirt lots now. Kids diving off the back lot of the gas station into the Rouge, apartment boats on the Rouge! Ha! --that is unique 1KielsonDrive!

There was a Bank Bar in Oakwood. It was a bank at one time. The vault was in the basement. The bar [[bank) was kitty corner from the Fort st. water bridge, at the Oakwood Fort st. curve.

If it wasn't one of those three bars, then it must've been the one right next to the Delray Connecting Railroad tracks which cross Jefferson Avenue at Zug Island Road. There may have been another one in there someplace, or for that matter, many more. Just not in my days or so long gone as to be out of memory. I'll ride down there one day soon to reconnoiter and jar the old hard drive.

In the Google map above, you can see two entrances. I'm assuming the one on the left [[north) is Rosie's. The one to the right [[south) still has a sign on it that says "Golden Wheel."

BTW, filming has moved north to Kovac's today. There's a large crew working on it. The entire front of the building is wrapped in tarp. The crew is so large, they have "Crew Parking" signs on the DTE lot directly across the street from Kovac's.

The last time I was in Delray, 2003, I stopped in there. Used to go to Delray all the time with my folks in the 60's and 70's to go to the meat market. Great memories.

It's sad how Delray looks now. My dad and aunt worked at Michigan Malleable Iron Company, one of his brothers worked at the Solvay, 2 other brothers worked at Revere Copper and Brass. His father worked at the Atlas Foundry on Dragoon. I remember going down there to Fox Furniture with my mother in the 50's to buy a living room set and other items after dad hit on the numbers. The street was alive with people and the cars were parked almost bumper to bumper.

You probably went to Szabo's Meat market on West End, across the street from Al's Lounge. It was the only market surviving in Delray for many years. I worked at McClouth Steel Finishing Plant between Dragoon and Livernois. I bought my first ever, 'brand new' motorcycle, a Bridgestone 50 Sport, from Fox Hardware, when I was 14 years old. I had so many odds and ends, mini-bikes, scooters and odd assemblies, prior to that bike. I was ecstatic. I still have the sales brochure with photos. I paid $307.00, cash.. I saved most of the money and borrowed some from my dad. We didn't tell mom 'til I drove it up the driveway. She wasn't keen about it. But, it was that or some other contraption me and my friends threw together. My mother worked at Revere Copper and Brass and also at Guardian Glass on Central next to the viaduct. I often went on the base at Fort Wayne. We hung out Patton Pool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast