Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default When is Tricentennial State Park opening

I know it was scheduled to have a grand opening of October 22 a while back. Any word on when its opening?

The last I heard the opening was really dependent on the weather. Our recent cold and rainy weather delayed some construction and landscaping. The construction was planned through November, so it's really not behind schedule. The DNR had just hoped they could open it sooner.

If I learn more on Thursday, I'll pass it along.

Model D says:

Detroit Development News

October 20, 2009
    Downtown state park expansion holds public opening ceremony this week, gets new name

A public dedication ceremony for the second phase of the riverfront State Park will be held at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 22. Guests can enjoy tours of the park although it will not open to the public full-time until later this year.

Last month, the park was officially renamed in honor of former Michigan Governor Milliken, who will be in attendance. It had been called TriCentennial State Park. Milliken is widely known for his extraordinary level of commitment to the environment; nearly every major piece of environmental protection legislation in Michigan was passed during his administration.

Milliken is the only Michigan State Park in an urban setting. It includes 31 acres and provides recreational and educational amenities, fishing opportunities, a harbor and non-motorized trails. The first phase of the park was completed in 2000 with the renovation of the former St. Aubin Marina.

This second phase, located between Riopelle Road and the Detroit RiverWalk's Rivard Plaza, is a five-acre lowland park on the west side of the Park that includes a continuation of the RiverWalk project with separate bike and pedestrian trails; a storm water demonstration wetland complex; an interpretive history of natural and cultural features of Detroit and surrounding areas; an emphasis on “green” utilities, products and innovation; LED lights; and innovative storm water capture. It also includes the extension of the Dequindre Cut from Franklin to Atwater Street.

Through its GreenWays Initiative the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan [[CFSEM) provided $580,000 towards the creation of the park; they've also chipped into the RiverWalk and the Dequindre Cut. "Six years ago, you couldn't even really get to the waterfront," says Mariam Noland, CFSEM president. "This park is just going to be a great added opportunity to engage with the waterfront."

Additional funding was secured from a variety of other sources including the Stroh Family, the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation [[DEGC) and a MDOT Transportation Enhancement grant. This project was led by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources in partnership with the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy. JJR Inc. was the designer of both Phase I and II of the project.

Source: Miriam Noland, CFSEM
    Writer: Kelli B. Kavanaugh
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/developme...ken102009.aspx

Although I'm not too thrilled with a park rename... I have to admit that no one in the state deserves it more. Bill Milliken was a true class act. It's nice that he's still with us...

I think it has a nice ring: Milliken State Park.

The ribbon cutting was today but the park is still fenced off. Does anyone knows when the park is suppose to open?