Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Tire fire in River Rouge. Take cover from the pollution.

October 20, 2009

Crews containing fire in River Rouge

BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
    An industrial fire in the city of River Rouge is sending black smoke blowing over the city of Detroit, leading fire officials to advise people to stay inside if they see smoke near them.

“The black smoke is heavy in carbon and long-term, healthwise, if they took in a lot of smoke, it is bad,” Detroit Fire Department Captain Steve Varnas said this morning as billows of inky black soot floated along I-75 at the River Rouge bridge and into the Rosa Parks Boulevard area of the city. “When that cools enough to settle, there’s going to be black soot covering stuff. What I would probably do is wait until the fire’s out until I go outside. Usually people would tell them to just stay in the house.”

The fire broke out at 8:50 a.m. on Marion Avenue, according to an officer with the River Rouge Police Department who did not want to give her name. She said the fire looks ominous but is contained.
    “If it’s a threat or endangers the safety of a citizen, we would advise them to evacuate, but at this time everything is under control,” she said at 9:30 a.m. “They’re handling the situation.”
    Police in Ecorse said they also have fire personnel on the scene assisting.

"Rosa Parks Blvd. area of the city"?? First of all, I assume she means the City of Detroit and not the City of River Rouge [[unless a street has been renamed down there and I missed it, which is wholly possible), since she describes the smoke drifting down I-75. So, exactly which part of Rosa Parks is she talking about? Is it the part around MCS where it crosses 75? The part south of there down by Fort St. or the river? Up by Grand River? Grand Blvd.? Virginia Park? Or is the whole near west side of Detroit the "Rosa Parks Blvd area of the city" since the street runs all the way to Six Mile? If so, that's an awful lot of people they're warning to stay home.

Why does it seem that almost no one working on our papers can write a story clearly anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    "Rosa Parks Blvd. area of the city"?? First of all, I assume she means the City of Detroit and not the City of River Rouge [[unless a street has been renamed down there and I missed it, which is wholly possible), since she describes the smoke drifting down I-75. So, exactly which part of Rosa Parks is she talking about? Is it the part around MCS where it crosses 75? The part south of there down by Fort St. or the river? Up by Grand River? Grand Blvd.? Virginia Park? Or is the whole near west side of Detroit the "Rosa Parks Blvd area of the city" since the street runs all the way to Six Mile? If so, that's an awful lot of people they're warning to stay home.

Why does it seem that almost no one working on our papers can write a story clearly anymore?
    Newspaper reporting in this City has, for the most part, been crap since the 1995 strike.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Newspaper reporting in this City has, for the most part, been crap since the 1995 strike.
    Indeed. Which is why I've barely bought one of their products since.

I also noticed that she describes the smoke floating "along I-75 at the Rouge River Bridge and into the Rosa Parks Blvd. area of the city." Which leads me to believe that she doesn't really have a damn clue where Rosa Parks Blvd. is, or about the geography of the entire southwest side of the city she's ostensibly reporting on. It's possible that Rosa Parks Blvd. is just the only street she can remember the name of between downtown and River Rouge.

Which leads me to ask, do they still have editors at newspapers these days?

I know all of the streets she mentioned, including Marion and I know the terminal. It's all in the backyard of my youth. And my first reaction when I read the account was : WTF is she talking about. Thanks, you guys confirmed my reaction.