For those of you who are in favor of keeping the MI State Fairgrounds in Detroit, we would really be appreciative of your support. There is more that what meets the eye regarding this property and I can tell you that in my 15 years of being involved with the fairgrounds there has never been any serious incidents. Our biggest hurdle has been complete lack of support from our own state. We are not taxpayer funded, nor the money loser that has been recently portrayed. If you decide to come and listen to the "real" story of "your" Michigan State Fair, I thank each and every one of you.

"America's first State Fair, conducted by the Michigan Agricultural Society, with the support of the Legislature and local citizens, was held in Detroit on September 25-27, 1849. About $800 in premiums were awarded for those 'articles, productions, and improvements' that were 'best calculated to promote the agricultural and household manufacturing interest of the State.' The site of this annual Fair was often moved until 1905 when it was given a permanent home here."

The objective of the Michigan State Fair is to serve as an educational and inspirational medium for all the people of Michigan in the creation of a mutual understanding of the problems and accomplishments of its rural and urban residents. Through this means, they will appreciate their interdependency and will work in the interests of each other and for the benefit of the State as a whole.

The Michigan State Fair and Fairgrounds Center Authority Board of Directors invites you to attend A Community Forum on the Future of the Michigan State Fair & Fairgrounds
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Hudson's Auditorium/Michigan State Fairgrounds/8 Mile & Woodward/Detroit, MI