Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Irish Pubs...

Default Irish Pubs...

being one who enjoys live music, and seeing the talent coming out of the detroit area. i was in an irish pud in corktown named nancy whiskey's watching the open mic night i read that it was the second oldest pud in detroit. est. in 1902. well i have a question for anyone who could help me in finding when kelly's bar in hamtramck was established? it has the same tin molding on the ceiling as nancy whiskey's. very old as well. just curious. i'm also into the history as well as blues music. any help here to cure my curiosity would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Like the rest of Hamtramck, Kelly's was probably built in 1924.

I don't know, but I think its for sale.

I heard that rumor too.

Did Nancy re-open after the fire?

pcm-

I stopped in to see the progress last week. There was a dumpster out front and a gang of locals helping to clean up. it was obvious that there had been some work already done, but this crew consisted of some street people and the owner's brother.

The back bar is still intact but in pretty rough shape. The bar itself is gone. I don't know if it went somewhere to get worked on or if it was reduced to charcoal ... I'd guess the latter due to that fact that the fire started under the bar supposedly in the wiring for a cooler. But since the trash can was right next to the cooler, my bet is a hot ashtray got dumped into the trash.

The tin ceiling was still intact and was credited by the fire investigators of stopping the fire from streading; however, I was told they will have to remove the old tin and put in something to match code requirements.

sorry to make a short story long, but they hope to be open for Openning Day.