Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Patterson: I won't run for governor

Patterson is not running for Governor after all,
    Patterson: I won't run for governor

Oakland Co. executive says campaign would take too much time

Saying he can’t justify leaving his job as Oakland County Executive, L. Brooks Patterson said this morning that he won’t run for governor.

“I can not justify leaving my position as Oakland County Executive unattended for the next year and a half while I engage in a statewide campaign for Governor,” he said in statement from his vacation home in Florida.

Rumors had been swirling for weeks that Patterson had been telling people that he was leaning against a run for the state’s top job, but he only confirmed the rumor this morning.

“I know what it takes to mount a statewide campaign,” Patterson said. “It takes both money and time. Friends and supporters are ready to handle the money challenges of a statewide race, but the time challenges are looking insurmountable.”

Patterson was Oakland County Prosecutor from 1973 until 1988. He was elected county executive in 1992 and has been reelected to that post four more times. The Independence Township resident has made runs for statewide office in the past, including U.S. Senator, state Attorney General and Governor.

He was in a growing field of potential Republican candidates for governor in 2010, including Attorney General Mike Cox, Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land, U.S. Rep. Peter Hoekstra, state Sen. Tom George of Texas Township, Ann Arbor businessmen David Brandon and Rick Snyder and Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard.

Potential Democrats in the race include: Lt. Gov. John Cherry, Wayne County Executive Andy Dillon, Speaker of the House Andy Dillon, Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel, former MSU football coach George Perles and former Flint Mayor Don Williamson.
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...#pluckcomments

Thank goodness. The people of Michigan don't want to hear his contextual racist comments.

He is better off being a big fish in a little pond. His ego is more satisfied that way.

I can not justify leaving my position as Oakland County Executive unattended for the next year and a half while I engage in a statewide campaign for Governor,” he said in statement from his vacation home in Florida.
    That's funny.

Potential Democrats in the race include: Lt. Gov. John Cherry, Wayne County Executive Andy Dillon, Speaker of the House Andy Dillon, Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel, former MSU football coach George Perles and former Flint Mayor Don Williamson.
    Same guy, or coincidental name? Or just shoddy reporting?

Or typo, which is most likely what it is.

I don't like any of our choices for governor - Patterson in the race or not. Our field sucks. Nobody on that list do I believe have the competency to handle the enormity of the job. I may politically disagree with L. Brooks, but his financial competence is undeniable, budgeting three years out [[of course, it's a bit easier when your county has more economic activity than some small states).

Maybe in another, less crisis time, some would be palatable; but I have no confidence in any of the mentioned candidates at this time on either side of the aisle.

Its too bad. Michigan sorely needs a pro-business Governor. Good news for Oakland County and metro Detroit though...one small dash of sanity in an asylum

David Bonior for Governor!