Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 70,000 Vacant + 40,000 More = Higher Risk

But the dilapidated house on Detroit's east side went up in flames one weekend in early October, along with 10 other houses on six adjacent streets—an apparent challenge to the city's annual mobilization to prevent arsons over the Halloween period that has become infamous as Devils' Night.

The stakes are even higher this year, as the city already devastated by the exodus of jobs and unemployment of around 27 percent moves toward the Halloween weekend. Along with tens of thousands of long-vacant homes and buildings, the more than 40,000 others recently emptied by the foreclosure crisis could present tempting targets.
    But the 11 houses that burned within 90 minutes on Oct. 11 have authorities concerned about an arsonist at work before the three-night neighborhood patrols begin Oct. 29.

And this year, there are simply many more houses to watch. Three years ago, about 70,000 properties in Detroit were vacant. Massive job losses in the auto industry and manufacturing have forced thousands more homeowners into foreclosure.
    Associated Press Article: ~http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...cle=1&catnum=1

Lorax Guest

This is a most distrubing thing to witness. Check out this article from today's NYT on a related subject- our neighbors in Cleveland, and how the foreclosure crisis has destroyed so many lives, and property.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/19/bu...html?th&emc=th

Retroit Guest

Detroit need a "Controlled Burn" program like that used by the forestry service. Dilapidated homes that are a safe distance from occupied homes could be intentionally burnt down. This would save the cost of tearing them down. The fire department would stand by for safety and to wet down whatever is left.

The EPA would have a fit over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Detroit need a "Controlled Burn" program like that used by the forestry service. Dilapidated homes that are a safe distance from occupied homes could be intentionally burnt down. This would save the cost of tearing them down. The fire department would stand by for safety and to wet down whatever is left.
    I like this, also the thing about sending bums to work in undeveloped countries

That would pollute like crazy. Think of how bad just the incinerator is! Good idea, but I think it might need to be rethought.

I see this being both a health and safety issue. But, what about trying to recycle the wood debris as free firewood for [[occupied) home heating?

Good idea Retroit...Let it burn bring farming back, imagine cattle grazing in the shadow of the train station.

Retroit Guest

Health and safety issues??? Aren't abandoned, dilapidated homes a health and safety issue?

These houses are most likely going to burn anyway, why not do it under controlled conditions? Neighbors would be forewarned so that they can close their windows and watch from a safe distance upwind.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detr0itkid View Post
    I like this, also the thing about sending bums to work in undeveloped countries
    Perhaps we could disassemble these homes and send them to China. I'm sure they would consider it a great honor to live in a home that most Detroiters wouldn't give a shit about.

I know nothing about the business but it just seems demolition costs for these old frame houses are way too high. A backhoe knocks them down in minutes. Is it the cost of hauling away the debris, filling the basement, landfill fees? It just seems you could bid this work out for large numbers like 5,000 homes and let a few contractors get together on a cheaper bid even if you have to let bidders come from outside metro Detroit. Gov't always pays more than the private sector for everything.

give me an abandoned warehouse, no regulations, workers seed money and I will solve the problem.

instead of seed money I should have said give me Detroits demolition budget as I believe any of us could put it to better use but from what I have read on this forum and even the national trust the leadership of Detroit is really out to lunch on this issue