Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recycling

Default Recycling

Who on this forum recycles?

If not, why?

Compost bin behind my garage, a weekly trip [[using a bike) to the city paper collection bin to get rid of all my junk mail, and have been amazed at what what my neighbors toss out.

My current favorite piece is the curio cabinet I picked up from the trash of one of my neighbors and refinished to house my Kodak Brownie collection, and I enjoyed this summer sitting on my front porch on the wicker chairs another neighbor threw out.

Recycling is not a burden, but an opportunity.

Someone need a #8 1 inch screw? Let me check the peanut butter jars on the shelves I built from pallet wood in the basement.
    Last edited by jams; October-19-09 at 07:15 AM.

Who on this forum recycles?
    I do, but I wish they would take more plastics where I live. [[Currently only take ones and twos.)

I do, but I save up until I have a car full of junk to take to the recycling center

I do. In Farmington Hills, you just fill up your recycling bin and leave it with the trash. They take a lot more stuff now than they used to.

I do. We can just toss everything into a bin and leave it at the curb. I need a bigger bin! I have trouble filling up my garbage can now. We can also put yard waste out for pickup in a separate container. They do need to take more plastics here, too.

I live in Rochester Hills and they just started the RecycleBank program earlier this year. As part of that program, residents receive 'points' for their recylcing that they can then use for coupons or gift cards to local and national retailers [[both online and mortar). Residents got a huge bucket to throw recycling in unsorted. They take plastics of all numbers [[1-7) plus papers, magazines, glass, and the usual assortment. Our recycle bucket is usually filled to the top, where our garbage barely covers the bottom of that bin most weeks.

Since implementing this program, recycling in the community has increased 250% and residents trash bills were cut nearly in half as well.

I think Westland also participates as the only other local community. My parents have heard that they are currently holding off on adding new communities, as I guess financing is tight so expansion is tough.

We are in a pilot program in EEV. I am pleased to say that most residents are participating. My wish list would be that the pick up would be on our regular trash day. Must be a senior moment but I have a hard time remembering to stick out the bin on Monday AM. Thank God they pick up late in the morning. My other wish is that they took glass.

I don't compost because I worry about attracting mice, rats, rabbits etc. I do shred and compost fall leaves and coffee grounds. Coffee grounds are great for around plants that attract slugs.

I recycle. They take quite a bit, and it supposedly makes money for my city as well. Here is the info on our recycling program:

http://www.socrra.org/curbside.html

A couple other thoughts. I am with Jams. It is amazing what people throw out. My most recent acquistion are two great wicker rockers. I am a professional gardener and have lots of accounts in the five Pointes. I love my partner who will stop on a dime if I see something I want. A lot of my finds go to friends and family. My two favorite finds were an apartment size refrigerator, the previous owner put a sign on it saying, Free, it works. It went to my niece. Another resident in GPP put a sign on a tree on Beaconsfield. It said free, brand new twin mattresses. I drove around to the alley and sure enough brand new mattresses and boxsprings. Those went to a different niece for her kids. Found two matching cement planters on Alter near Kercheval, those went to a friend who has a hundred year old house with a magnificant front porch.

My second thought was I really miss the Detroit big trash day that occurred on a monthly basis. It was an opportunity for legitimate scrappers to make a little extra income. Our last Big Trash day was in August. Everything we put out got picked up by individuals and it pleased me. Some of it was metal for scrappers, some of it was household items.

I spent a month in Titusville, FL last winter and they have curbside as well. You throw glass and paper only into a bushel bin, and then they come along with their truck and two guys. One takes each side of the road. They hitch the bin on the truck and then sort the stuff into glass and paper and throw it into one side or other of the truck. It is so interesting to see the different programs.

I have RRRASOC, my son has SOCCRA and they take a lot more stuff. I am totally envious of my mother in law who lives in Westland. She doesn't want to bother with it unfortunately. She thinks the bin is too big to handle. It has wheels on it too.

ccbatson Guest

Not if I can help it as the costs of recycling exceed the benefits from all angles. Only aluminum cans offer cost effective options.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Not if I can help it as the costs of recycling exceed the benefits from all angles. Only aluminum cans offer cost effective options.
    You are horribly incorrect, and not taking into account other costs associated with disposal rather than recycling of trash, such as landfills.

It doesn't cost me anything to put my recyclables in the recycling bin. Since the facility pays the city for the materials, they apparently disagree with you on its value. For every ton of recyclable material SOCCRA receives from Ferndale, it pays Ferndale $55, and saves Ferndale $25 in landfill costs.

The only cost to me is $10 for the bin. After awhile, the difference in the amount of garbage bags I use will have made up for that as well.

http://www.socrra.org/recyclingpays.htm

The above link is a source, I say this as I know you are unfamiliar with the concept.

Curbside recycling at home, other items taken to the site at 8 & Evergreen, compost and just started sheet mulching/lasagna gardening in the yard..

Yep, Take all mine to recyclean [[or whatever the name of the place). What amazes me is why environmentalists haven't targeted fast food places. I rarely eat fast fod but the last time I went to McDonalds I couldn't figure out why it was necessary to put food into a container to put on the tray.

The waste at FF places is amazing and appalling.

All of our kitchen waste gets composted for the garden. Scrap wood we burn for heat or campfires.

My municipality has a place open for three hours on Saturdays to bring in trash. Bins are available for 1-7 combined plastic, glass, paper, cardboard, tin. Toxic things are supposed to go to the County dump. Twice a year are "cleanup days" for things like old rugs and couches. Only the rest goes into the dumpster in clear plastic bags. Someone is watching.

We have never bought a new couch and hardly any new furniture in our lives. We now have a couch and a tv one of our yuppie kids wanted to get rid of. We tend to use things until they wear out and then some. Some of my work pants have patches.

That is why we love you, Cc.

That must be the reason the Chinese are taking all the iron and steel scraps they can get their hands on.

Toxic things are supposed to go to the County dump.

This seems strange. We aren't supposed to throw toxic things like batteries, car and cleaning fluids, paints in the regular trash. We have toxic waste day twice a year where we bring these things. We have to show ID. Even there they don't take smoke detectors. I think SOCCRA takes things RRRASOC doesn't so I ask son to take them for me.

ccbatson Guest

People don't recycle steel and iron as they are not generally found in disposable goods. If you can sell it for a profit....absolutely, go for it. That isn't recycling as liberals understand it however.

People don't recycle steel and iron as they are not generally found in disposable goods. If you can sell it for a profit....absolutely, go for it. That isn't recycling as liberals understand it however.
    So, on SOCRRA's balance sheet, those line items showing revenue from recycling newspaper, plastics, cardboard, tin cans, scrap metal, non-ferrous metal, glass, and batteries are all imaginary?

That their statement that their revenues are declining because of the declining commodities market are all imaginary?

Sure, the revenues do no go straight back to me, but it reduces my out-of-pocket expenses for trash pickup.

http://www.socrra.org/pdf/SOCRRA%20Q...ril%202009.pdf

ccbatson Guest

They include subsidies from??? Yep, taxpayers robbing Peter to pay Paul [[and Al Gore takes a cut too).

They include subsidies from??? Yep, taxpayers robbing Peter to pay Paul [[and Al Gore takes a cut too).
    Source/proof of any kind?

We can recyle steel, copper and aluminum household items in the RAAASOC bins. I have put in faucet sets, cookie sheets, old frypans that have lost their Teflon.

That isn't recycling as liberals understand it however
    Explains much about your mindset. Have you ever considered that it was liberals thinking outside the box of orthodoxy that have led to many of the advances we now take for granted?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast