Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Favorite Cider Mills

Alright, with all the gloomy threads lately, maybe we could turn our minds towards cider mills. I'm always impressed that these places essentially are shut down for 9 -10 months out of the year and then spring to life for a short, but meaningful selling season.

Yesterday the Bride and I went on a color drive out along Hines Drive then winding around eventually to BFE New Boston and her favorite childhood cider mill: Apple Charlie's. Silly me I'd never heard of it before.

It wasn't bad, a little pricey ... they sell all manner of apple related material along with running a mini carnival with flying teacups and whatnot. In addition thay have a haunted house called "Blood Barn". Sorry but we skipped that feature.

It's been 20 + years since I was out in Romeo, so I can't vouch for that but after being at Parmenter's in Northville last year, I have to say Franklin takes the award for the most authentic place around. Love the whole water wheel thing and getting those donuts while they're still hot and staining the bag with grease, that's some pretty high living.

So, what's your favorite Cider Mill. A place worth the drive to get there...

Retroit Guest

The only one I go to is Yates.

Yates at Dequindre and 23 Mile Rd is another one with a water wheel and hot donuts, as well as ice cream, fudge and other apple stuff. No carnival, but I do think they have pony rides on the weekends.
    Westview Orchards in Romeo is kid central. There's cider, donuts, a hay bale hill and other climb-on, run through, jump-on stuff as well as a petting zoo, corn maze and a bakery.
    A nice quiet little place with just your basics is Stony Creek Orchard on 32 Mile near Mound in Romeo. The hay wagon takes you out to pick apples, and there is a store room where they sell apples, jams, honey and a few odds and ends. There's a little donut/cider stand and a small mini-golf course. Very laid back.

We went to Parshalville Grist and Cider Mill this year, that was really neat. Still has the original millrace. They sell pies and other goodies as well as several kinds of apples. Spicer's is out that way, too, up US 23 to Clyde Road.

I've always liked Blake's in Armada. Lots to do including hayrides, bonfires, pumpkin picking and pony rides.

I've been going to Blake's, on Armada Center Road since I was a wee little lad.

That's the place I took my daughter to when she was young, and I continue to go there, in fact me and the Miss's went there last weekend.

Yates, but don't walk toooo far off the beaten path. You'll end up within earshot of the nearby firing range.

AlsoDave, they're keeping it real for you Eastsiders; they know how much you folk like your random gunshots. Just keepin it homey for the homies.

Speaking of such things... I'm detecting an Eastside vs Westside vibe. Too bad Jjaba ain't around to advise on this matter, ...thoughts?

Gnome, I'm actually a Westsider. Maybe I shouldn't have defected from Franklin's Cider Mill!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Speaking of such things... I'm detecting an Eastside vs Westside vibe. Too bad Jjaba ain't around to advise on this matter, ...thoughts?
    Eastside Pride checking in!

P.S. Jjaba's father once lived on the eastside.

Yates Cider Mill will be featured on the Food Network show 'Unwrapped' tonight at 9pm [[10/19/09).

LINK

Most cider mills are going the kiddie-carnival-1000 things to do-route and prices are spiraling on everything offered [[donuts, bread, jams, pies, cider, trinkets, toys, etc.). They're still not bad. I was at Past Tense Cider Mill near Lapeer last weekend and enjoyed myself. I like Apple Charlie's, Yates, and Blake's too.

Parmenters in Northville is kind of different. They have a small playground area for kids. They will host a few crafters on some weekends. Mostly, it's the cider & doughnut gig there. My husband likes this one because it's not too crowded.

Parmenters not busy? It's been plenty busy the last few times I've driven by. The only historic aspect of Parmenters is the name. The actual buildings burned down about 20 years ago. But they do a nice job with what they have and the cider and donuts are always good.

http://parmenters.homeip.net/parmenters/history.html

Agreed. Parmenters used to be the first place my family and I would visit come autumn, but I don't care for it now.

Wait in a huge line and then funnel into a building only to be handed cold donuts by a girl running a digital cash register while she's already shouting, "Next!", isn't my idea of the cider mill experience. The chase for the almighty dollar is all that counts anymore...

It's not a true cider mill, but apparently the Wilson Barn in Livonia is a good place to visit. I haven't been there myself, but have plans to next weekend if the weather cooperates.
    http://www.wilsonbarn.com/Wilson_Bar...pkin_Fest.html

Goodison Cider Mill. Try the pistachio bread! Walk the Paint Creek Trail with a half gallon of cider and fresh hot donuts in hand - that's heaven!

Goodison, been meaning to try that one. Didn't they just open a new one down the road attached to the Parks and Rec building? Hope it doesn't hurt the older operation.

My favorite for years [[ westside ) was Foremans on 7 mile in Northville, but sadly, they became a subdivision during the housing boom of several years ago. New favorite is Three Cedars Farm in Northville on the north side of 6 mile, just east of Curtis Rd.They don't make there own cider but it is delicious., and they make their own dounts.....very good. Eat in or out. Nice play areas and some animals for the kids to feed. A really nice gift store that sells great Halloween decorations [[ christmas too). They also are open for Christmas trees / wreath sales etc. Worth the trip.

LouHat Guest

Paint Creek, assuming it hasn't become boutiqued and yuppie-fied. Probably aka Goodison.

Yates was always my favorite.

littlebuddy Guest

Living in the Lansing area the last 30 years, Uncle John's Cider Mill about 30 miles north of Lansing on US-27 is a pretty good place. My wife used to work there, really enjoyed it. So if any of you are headed up north try to swing over thru Lansing and up 27. I think you will enjoy it.

Didn't the Romeo area used to have lots of orchards 30-40 years ago? Are they still there? I remember my dad taking us to some old fashioned country store on 53 up that way, is it still there?

Paint Creek Cider Mill and Goodison Cider Mill have co-existed for many, many years.

Paint Creek has the water wheel, and therefore looks like the picturesque mill. Oakland Township recently moved their offices there to the second floor. There used to be a restaurant on the first floor.

Goodison has been in continuous business since 1920, so they know what they're doing. Not as flashy but oh so good!

That's nice to know. We were by there before the cider mills opened, and the Paint Creek one looks so brand new, we wondered. Not our usual trailway so we had no idea about either one.

I also like Uncle John's on 27 north of Lansing. A regular stop for me on the way back from classes in Mt. Pleasant.

I never went to the Paint Creek Cider Mill but did enjoy walking parts of the Paint Creek Trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast