Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Need some info about Philadelphia?

My lady and I may be heading to Philly next month, I was just wondering if anyone knew of some decent hotels in some cool parts of town [[bars etc.) or some decent reasonably priced things to do. Thanks for the help

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    My lady and I may be heading to Philly next month, I was just wondering if anyone knew of some decent hotels in some cool parts of town [[bars etc.) or some decent reasonably priced things to do. Thanks for the help
    For the offbeat, you really need to see the Mutter Museum. It's a 19th century museum downtown showcasing medical oddities. Truly fascinating. Look it up online first- the missus may not want to see it, since some things are gruesome, like the infants in formaldahyde, and the teased out human nervous system which is the size of a minivan.

The syphillitic appendages are particularly gruesome. Hell, it's nearly Halloween, so your timing is impeccable!

In March, I stayed at the Lanham Hotel near Rittenhouse Square. Decent place, great location, and it was only $100 a night.

The Lanham is two blocks from Suburban Station, which is great if you take the regional rail from the airport. It's a short walk to the aforementioned Mutter Museum [[awesome), and there's lots of great eating, drinking, and shoppping within a 10-15 minute walk. Grab brunch at the Continental.

Lorax Guest

If you like historic hotels, the Bellevue Stratford is a great place, and centrally located.

The Rodin Museum, and, of course the Philly Museum is amazing.

The Barnes Collection may be opening soon on the Ben Franklin Parkway next to the above mentioned museums by the time you're there. Amazing collection as well.

Stop in at Macy's downtown, which used to be the John Wanamaker's & Sons department store, and check out the bronze eagle and giant pipe organ, played daily.

City hall is worth a walk-throught as well. And, of course, Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

If you have time for the zoo, also worth the trip.

I went to Philly a couple of years ago, started a thread asking advice on the old Dyes site and got some greatideas. I ended up taking a "City Bus" double decker bus tour where you jumb on and off the bus, as you please, at up to 20 historic places. Well worth it and took me to most of the recommended places.,

http://www.phillytour.com/category.asp?ID=9

If you like food...

Reading Terminal Market can't be beat for lunch, browsing, and people-watching. You can also try your hand at the Italian Market in South Philly.

And some people love Pat's. Others swear by Geno's. I like Steaks on South, which I believe is on the corner of South and 4th.

A couple cool divey bars are Bonner's [[23rd and Sansom) and Bob & Barbara's [[South Street, just west of Broad).

I was going to suggest phillyblog.com but it looks like the site is down and two new sites have replaced it - http://philadelphiaspeaks.com/ and http://newphillyblog.com/ with the latter site being more like the former phillyblog.com website.

Be sure to see Manayunk, too, while in Philly. Enjoy Philly! It's my birthplace and my lifetime dream has been to move there.

You can tour the US Mint there. There is a wonderful historic complex where the original town was, with Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell and more. Ben Franklin's grave is near there and we actually saw Ben walking near the City Hall. There is the City Tavern if you like dining in a historic environment, and drinking Thomas Jefferson's favorite beer. Just don't let them put iced tea in your beer by mistake, it's the same color and iced tea refills are freely poured. http://www.citytavern.com/

Having been to Philly several times, I could never figure out why they rebuilt old City Tavern... but not Ben Franklin's house [[Franklink Court). Instead, they put in aluminum tubing where the outline of the house originally was. [[The house was razed within 50 years of his death.) And the underground museum there is kind of kitschy.

From a city planning perspective... Franklin Parkway [[originally Fairmont Parkway) was bulldozed thru the city from City Hall to the Philly Museum of Art in the 20s, the same way that Baron Haussman bulldozed medieval Paris for the broad boulevards in the 1850s. This makes for interesting reading and a study in urban planning.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-21-09 at 11:34 PM.

Hanging out on South Street is always fun. The Mummers Museum near it on the south side is interesting. Reading Market has been mentioned-great place. There are plenty of decent places to stay that are convenient. Look for the best deal.