Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Harbortown Market

Noticed the market has been closed for awhile; also there is a "For Lease" sign in front of the property. Anybody know if that is for the market or for other vacant space in the mall?

On what side of Harbortown did you see the for "lease signs". Harbortown has been closed for about 3 months! Apparently a flood took place in the store, hence the shutdown. I think its something more too it if you ask me.

As I understand it, the whole complex, from retail to housing, is in serious financial trouble and the throes of considerable internal chaos. There was a thread here a couple of months back about the extreme foreclosure crisis in the apartments. Harbortown Mkt. did have a flood, but it may be very difficult for them to recover from it and reopen given what's going on over there.

I hope they reopen. I alway liked shopping there on my way home from work. It was open till 9pm everyday. Very convenient.

It appears that there are no good groceries stores from GM building all the way to grosse pointe.

What's wrong with the Indian Village Market? I am not asking as a challenge, I just want to know.

I trust Krogers and Harbor Town for their' fresh meat and dairies.

Indian Village Market is actually OK, especially since their renovation a few years back. It's probably the top of the line "ghetto" supermarket on the east side, if not in the entire central city. Run by pretty nice people too. The city really badly needs more places like it.

But it is not a place to find a very wide variety of groceries, and certainly not a big selection of specialty or gourmet foods, or a good deli counter, etc. And if you didn't grow up in the city even post-renovation it may seem small, cramped, and old fashioned compared to a place with a more suburban-style layout and ambiance like Harbortown.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Indian Village Market is actually OK, especially since their renovation a few years back. It's probably the top of the line "ghetto" supermarket on the east side, if not in the entire central city. Run by pretty nice people too. The city really badly needs more places like it.

But it is not a place to find a very wide variety of groceries, and certainly not a big selection of specialty or gourmet foods, or a good deli counter, etc. And if you didn't grow up in the city even post-renovation it may seem small, cramped, and old fashioned compared to a place with a more suburban-style layout and ambiance like Harbortown.
    Damn the ambiance, I just care about good products. It could be a moms and pops as far as I am concern

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It appears that there are no good groceries stores from GM building all the way to grosse pointe.
    It appears you're absolutely correct since Farmer Jack closed.

Harbortown's closing does not bother me one way or another. I just don't like gated communities. Indian Village is a nice place to shop. I prefer Riverbend, a Spartan affliate. Also like Eastern Market independants. I find plenty of good places to shop on Detroits eastside. Randazzo's on seven mile is also great fun, great food and great prices. Dallas Food always has great prices on East Warren. Yorkshire Market on Mack is sweet too. I am always a little surprised that a forum called Detroityes has so much negativity. Detroit does not lack for good food at good prices, what we need to provide is access [[transportation) to our citizens to get there and home.

I actually re read all these posts. Yes Virginia, upscale healthy food is available in Detroit. The problem is that many Detroiters [[in particular, seniors can't get there)!

I serve for many non profits in a volunteer capacity. This Wednesday is another dumb meeting regarding healthy eating for seniors. I plan to go. It upset me that this non profit org. has done nothing for the community with their grant. The silly thing that triggered my anger was two fold. Anyone who knows my husband and myself should understand that separate notifications of these meetings are stupid and wasteful. The second thing that set me off was a five color flyer reminding us of this meeting. How expensive and also wasteful! I have thousands of volunteer hours with numerous orgs. All have legit credentials. I just plain don't see any results .I respectfully resign as a volunteer anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Harbortown's closing does not bother me one way or another. I just don't like gated communities. Indian Village is a nice place to shop. I prefer Riverbend, a Spartan affliate. Also like Eastern Market independants. I find plenty of good places to shop on Detroits eastside. Randazzo's on seven mile is also great fun, great food and great prices. Dallas Food always has great prices on East Warren. Yorkshire Market on Mack is sweet too. I am always a little surprised that a forum called Detroityes has so much negativity. Detroit does not lack for good food at good prices, what we need to provide is access [[transportation) to our citizens to get there and home.
    Most of the posts are not negative. They are just stating the facts and some have solutions to making Detroit a much better city.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I don't think you can call any of the above mentioned food stores 100% full service, buy anything you need under one roof supermarkets. Like a Kroger, Meijer or Publix. For that you have to go outside the city. While it's true you certainly wouldn't starve shopping within city limits, it would be nice to have a large chain market or two in the city.

As far as Indian Village Market is concerned, the store is ok. As far as the meat is concerned, I dont' buy it, never sat to well with my stomach. The quality of the store did improve drastically when the remodeling took place. As of now I only shop there for immediate necessities, other than that I go to kroger or Trader Joes in GP