Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Vanity Ballroom

Default Vanity Ballroom

Did anyone go to this? I had to work. Can call the number below and ask, but it's the weekend and thought a DYer might have gone.

----------------------------------------------
    Historic District Commission Hearing on the Vanity Ballroom
    Wednesday October 14th: 6pm at the Coleman A. Young Center, 13th Floor Auditorium.

The Historic District Commission will be holding a public hearing on the condition of the historic Vanity Ballroom. The issue before the commission is whether to charge to owner of the Vanity of "demolition by neglect" and order him to secure this historic structure in order to prevent further decay.

Jefferson East Business Association [[JEBA) is asking concerned residents, property owners and all of those concerned with halting the decay of this structure to come out the the hearing and help encourage the owner to secure this building.

Designed by Charles Agree and built in 1929, the Vanity Ballroom is currently listed on the National Register for historic places. The current owner has made no effort to secure this structure and it is currently open to trespass and the elements.

If you have any questions, please contact JEBA Executive Director, Joshua Elling at 313-331-7939

Historic District Commission Hearing on the Vanity Ballroom
    CAY Municipal Center

1 Woodward Avenue

13th Floor Auditorium
    Detroit, Michigan 48226
    October 14th, 2009
    6:00pm

I knew that place wouldn't survive after the owners accidentally destroyed the boiler in the late 1980s.

Default Lessons to be Learned: Desperately Seeking History

Not so fast, Detroitnerd. Buildings in much worse condition have been revitalized. If the Vanity Ballroom is demolished, you'll never get it back. Even if you tried to recreate it, it will never be as good.

Too bad it couldn't open up as a dance school/ballroom again. Keep kids off the streets and burn up all that energy. It would also make a great community center, even a police station or other city service center. This gem needs a purpose, and an extensive polishing.

Case in point: Here's what happened to a city who tore down everything [[except 1 school auditorium and 1 factory) built before 1950...then said "Oops, maybe we shouldn't have done that".
    Attachment 3612

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm. Ain't that great? All new construction, built last year. Note the vintage-looking lights in the parking lot. Of course, no intricate brickwork, no fine materials, no old-world craftsmanship and no delicious treatments like fancy corbels and expansive cornices. Still, an admirable effort to remedy typical 1970s type "urban renewal" shortsightedness. Ya think?

Now, look at this view of the same commercial district:
    Attachment 3613

"What the heck....?" That's right, folks. It's in the middle of a huge vacant expanse. What's that over to the left? That's a sprayed stucco, Mexican mud-brick [[you can chip it with your fingernail and it turns to powder!), cookie-cutter Hilton Garden Hotel, just like every other Hilton Garden Hotel in the US. Same is cheaper than different in the 2000s. Maybe Paris spends too much money for that? Beyond that is a new subdivision national chain subdivision by KB, Lennart, Toll Brothers, or one of those. Nobody designed and built their own house, they're all pretty much the same.

This strikes me as rather pathetic. Detroit, you don't have to do this BS in 50 years. You have all the tools to be special in a world of mundane surroundings. The Vanity could be the hub of a revitalization effort, especially a 'hood so close to the Pointes that could be an affordable alternative.

It would also help to revamp the city's ordinances to allow for better securing of dormant properties, like fencing height and materials regulations. Confiscation and re-sale of neglected properties could be very advantageous to Detroit, both asthetically and financially.

Is the Vanity's owner still Burgess? As I remember, he is willing to sell the building... for something like $2 million.

Greetings--

What a great building, it would be a shame to lose this beauty!
    I happened to ride by there earlier today on my bike and took a picture that is appropriate to its condition of late.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Is the Vanity's owner still Burgess? As I remember, he is willing to sell the building... for something like $2 million.
    Based on its recent purchase in Capitol Park, I'm sure the state would give him at least $5 million for it [[see http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3064 for what I'm talking about).

Kath: My point was that few owners here and now seem willing to replace boilers, even if it means having a historic structure. Within this time and context, anyway. Naturally, I find your vision much more exciting and hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Kath: My point was that few owners here and now seem willing to replace boilers, even if it means having a historic structure. Within this time and context, anyway. Naturally, I find your vision much more exciting and hopeful.
    Well, that's good to know! I'll be keeping tabs on this one. When you're reinventing yourself [[as I've done more than once) and don't have much, hope is always an essential ingredient. Despair is self-defeating and a general waste of energy.

On my way into work today I noticed film crews at the Vaniety. Anyone know whats being shot?

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    On my way into work today I noticed film crews at the Vaniety. Anyone know whats being shot?
    Hmm... very interesting. I haven't heard of any major films other than "Red Dawn" being filmed in Detroit at the moment. I'll ask around.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Hmm... very interesting. I haven't heard of any major films other than "Red Dawn" being filmed in Detroit at the moment. I'll ask around.

www.flickr.com/photos/neesam

I can't access flickr at work, so this may be nothing. After Googling it, from I could read it looked as though Nightmare on Elm Street remake was filming some exteriors there? Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Not so fast, Detroitnerd. Buildings in much worse condition have been revitalized. If the Vanity Ballroom is demolished, you'll never get it back. Even if you tried to recreate it, it will never be as good.

Too bad it couldn't open up as a dance school/ballroom again. Keep kids off the streets and burn up all that energy. It would also make a great community center, even a police station or other city service center. This gem needs a purpose, and an extensive polishing.

Case in point: Here's what happened to a city who tore down everything [[except 1 school auditorium and 1 factory) built before 1950...then said "Oops, maybe we shouldn't have done that".
    Attachment 3612

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm. Ain't that great? All new construction, built last year. Note the vintage-looking lights in the parking lot. Of course, no intricate brickwork, no fine materials, no old-world craftsmanship and no delicious treatments like fancy corbels and expansive cornices. Still, an admirable effort to remedy typical 1970s type "urban renewal" shortsightedness. Ya think?

Now, look at this view of the same commercial district:
    Attachment 3613

"What the heck....?" That's right, folks. It's in the middle of a huge vacant expanse. What's that over to the left? That's a sprayed stucco, Mexican mud-brick [[you can chip it with your fingernail and it turns to powder!), cookie-cutter Hilton Garden Hotel, just like every other Hilton Garden Hotel in the US. Same is cheaper than different in the 2000s. Maybe Paris spends too much money for that? Beyond that is a new subdivision national chain subdivision by KB, Lennart, Toll Brothers, or one of those. Nobody designed and built their own house, they're all pretty much the same.

This strikes me as rather pathetic. Detroit, you don't have to do this BS in 50 years. You have all the tools to be special in a world of mundane surroundings. The Vanity could be the hub of a revitalization effort, especially a 'hood so close to the Pointes that could be an affordable alternative.

It would also help to revamp the city's ordinances to allow for better securing of dormant properties, like fencing height and materials regulations. Confiscation and re-sale of neglected properties could be very advantageous to Detroit, both asthetically and financially.
    I'm lost- is the top a proposal? What was torn down? What was built?

There are numerous film crew trucks parked in lots off Jefferson in the vicinity of the Vanity today.

Just talked to JEBA. They gave the owner three to six months to secure the building. The "Red Dawn" film crew is actually shooting at the building across Newport from the Vanity, not in the Vanity itself.

Detroitman32: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Could you pls restate what you want to know?

They have some armored vehicles parked there today. Must be those Hollywoodsters.