Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Mista Alan Guest

Default Bing's Gets 60k Ride Amid Layoffs

Don't we have a Crown Vic sitting around?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...ase-criticized

$1,750 to lease a Lincoln Town Car?!?!

Mista Alan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    $1,750 to lease a Lincoln Town Car?!?!
    Karen Dumas is smoking something...

S.OS.............Didn't Kwame hide behind Ella's skirt and claim that the infamous Navigator wasn't his idea and that the DPD "needed it"? EPU "needs" heated leather seats? Perhaps if Mr. Bing had to navigate the city without a squad of bodyguards he might be more interested in getting the DPD the equipment and personnel that it needs. If people knew how few Officers are on the steeet actually ansewing runs at any given time they would be outraged.

Buy American Guest

The City of Detroit politicians just can't help themselves when it comes to spending money that isn't theirs to spend.....I guess Bing is no exception. The raping and pillaging goes on.

At a time when frugality should be the name of the game; at a time when concessions are being made by the City employees; at a time when firefighters don't have proper equipment to do their jobs; at a time when there is minimal police presence; this type of spending takes place. It is inconceivable to me that the new Mayor would be so bold as to even consider moving back into the mansion let alone have the City foot the bill for this luxury vehicle. Thank God it's an American vehicle, that's the only good thing I can see out of all this.

ziggyselbin Guest

Having read the article it is disappointing that GM can no longer supply cars to the Mayor. But that is the result of the government involvement.

I am curious how many Mayors[[anywhere) have been assassinated or assaulted that they would need special vehicles and bodyguards.

It has got to the point where almost on a daily basis there are officers walking the beat. Why? Because we don't have enough cars to put all the available officers in them. While beat walking has it's place, as it truly is a great community relations builder, deters certain crimes in certain areas, and I've found it an awesome way to sneak up on those loiters/panhandling, and causing problems outside of gas stations and liquor stores. Yet when the community is screaming over response times, do you really want 4 officers out there walking, unable to respond to your emergency, simply because we don't have enough cars? Many of the cars we do have are embarassing to drive due to their poor condition, drivability issues, and lack of computers that function. Glad somebody can justify driving a $60K ride around while the police go without.

Mista Alan Guest

Doesn't their defense sound familiar?

I don't understand the complaints, they traded in a 2008 Suburban for a new Denali. It is in the same class of vehicle [[large-full size SUV, GM product, built on the same platform). The options that are on it seemed standard for that trim [[heated-leather seats, a Bose stereo system and satellite radio), correct me if I'm wrong. Even the economy Chevy's can have satellite radio [[I believe most have Onstar standard).

As a Detroit tax payer [[didn't vote for Bing though), I feel that it is necessary for the mayor to have a vehicle. Considering the last vehicle had 43K miles in a year or two year of service, it definitely services its purpose. As far as a Crown Vic, do you know how much a new outfitted Police Interceptor Crown Vic would be? Close to, if not more than the Denali. Keep in mind Ford no longer sells "civilian" use Crown Vics anymore. Even Wayne County Sheriff has fleets of Tahoe's and Detroit Police/Fire has fleets of Expeditions, but no one complains about that?

Seems like people are just trying to stir up controversy.

-Tahleel

Sludgedaddy Guest

Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

Trainman Guest

It is cheaper to buy a car for all the able bodied DDOT riders then to try and save this over priced government service.

So, DYers's Bing is your man. He is doing what most of y'all want by slashing federal and state money and shutting down buses

Don't ya all love it.

Bing is just like the Livonia city council members which you all love too

And you will love the SMART renewal next August 2010, when even more federal and state cuts are coming. Unless you support my website in DETROIT LINKS

You will all vote YES? Won't you? Sure you all will support BING and his support for the Multi Billion NEW freeways in Detroit.

Same Circus Differnt Clowns... Business as Usual

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    It is cheaper to buy a car for all the able bodied DDOT riders then to try and save this over priced government service.

So, DYers's Bing is your man. He is doing what most of y'all want by slashing federal and state money and shutting down buses

Don't ya all love it.

Bing is just like the Livonia city council members which you all love too

And you will love the SMART renewal next August 2010, when even more federal and state cuts are coming. Unless you support my website in DETROIT LINKS

You will all vote YES? Won't you? Sure you all will support BING and his support for the Multi Billion NEW freeways in Detroit.
    I want to better understand your message. You want to punish those who choose to drive by taxing, instead of riding the bus? In other words, you want ME to pay more for my fuel, so YOU can ride the bus? It's not like fuel prices are high enough, you want us to pay more.

Unless you have some ulterior motive that we do not know about. Fill us in.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Alan View Post

Sure does. For a guy that claims he's not a politician, Mr. Bing sounds an awful lot like Kwame Kilpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Sure does. For a guy that claims he's not a politician, Mr. Bing sounds an awful lot like Kwame Kilpatrick.
    Agreed. I wonder if he's order custom shirts yet that are monogrammed "Mayor".

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Agreed. I wonder if he's order custom shirts yet that are monogrammed "Mayor".

Ahhh.. slipper slope theories.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Alan View Post
    At least this one is for the mayor. And they are not denying they leased the vehicle in the first place.

Remember, KK pulled the 'cops made me do this' line for a vehicle leased for his spouse.

But yes, a $60k vehicle with a one-year lease? Yikes, I'm sure they could have found a suitable vehicle for half that price.

At a time when the city needs to cut everything that can be cut, I think it would be advisable for the Mayor to be seen to be as frugal as possible when it comes to the expenditures of his own office. This is simply a missed opportunity for the visible demonstration of some shared sacrifice.

Kilpatrick's lawyer said that he is doing his part by driving an American car. Oh, wait... wrong story. Sorry! It's easy to screw it up with so many of Kilpatrick's people on Bing's staff.