Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom Barrow

Default Tom Barrow

Does anyone else find Tom Barrow's comments overly inflammatory and derisive? His sentiments don't seem to get the negative press warranted for such commentary.

I am aware of his history, and I realize that he was far behind Bing in the primary, but is there any evidence that this guy can win the mayoral race?

Ravine Guest

I can't think of any such evidence, and I think the probable explanation, for what you judge to be a lack of negative press, is that nobody gives a damn what Tom Barrow says, assuming that they have paid him, or what he says, any attention at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArmy View Post
    Does anyone else find Tom Barrow's comments overly inflammatory and derisive?
    I don't. In fact, I believe that when one compares him to Mayor Bing's blame the victim mentality when asked why DPD hasn't made any arrests in connection with the bus stop shootings last summer, Mr. Barrow comes across as the voice of moderation, reason and civility.
    I am aware of his history, and I realize that he was far behind Bing in the primary, but is there any evidence that this guy can win the mayoral race?
    Tom Barrow has garnered an impressive list endorsements from labor unions and community groups. He is endorsed by the Eastside Slate, which has backed the winner in every election in Detroit for 27 consecutive years.

In addition, the Barrow campaign released internal polling data last week that showed him with a slight lead in the race.

So, I'd say that yes, there is definitely some evidence that Mr. Barrow might actually win the mayor's race next month.
    Last edited by Fnemecek; October-17-09 at 10:43 AM.

Tom Barrow gets elected you can kiss regional cooperation good-bye. It'd be seen to most as the city's not serious about turning the city around.

Anecdotally speaking, there is tremendous grass roots support for Barrow out there. The race will be a lot closer than people imagine.

Bing's inaction, aloof manner, and seeming near disinterest in the job is costing him. An election that he once seemed to be able to win easily is now in danger of slipping away from him, and to a relative political minor leaguer like Barrow too. But Barrow looks like he's taking a lot more interest in the people of the city and is more involved in the issues that energize them than the remote Dave Bing. If Barrow can indeed win, or even come close, there are going to be a few people kicking themselves for not running.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArmy View Post
    Does anyone else find Tom Barrow's comments overly inflammatory and derisive? His sentiments don't seem to get the negative press warranted for such commentary.

I think the primary results were false. I don't think Barrow was far behind Bing. Bing was selected not elected. He is in position for a purpose. It may be for the city[[land wise) but not for the people in the city. I was hoping that Jerroll Sanders would had ran against bing but I know now that the fix is in. Bing is even afraid to debate Barrow. What does he has to hide?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It may be for the city[[land wise)...
    In case you haven't noticed, people can't GIVE away Detroit land right now. The "jewels" of Detroit exist only in people's minds these days. And that is a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    Tom Barrow gets elected you can kiss regional cooperation good-bye. It'd be seen to most as the city's not serious about turning the city around.
    How do you figure that?

Mayor Bing has been in office for 5 months now. In that time, he has made absolutely no progress in turning the City of Detroit around. [[Unless, of course, your idea of progress is demolishing Old Tiger Stadium with no clue as to what will eventually replace it.) Other than that, he has made no progress at all.

He's talked about lots of different things [[layoffs, restructuring, a fee for Belle Isle, etc.) but he hasn't implemented a single thing. Not one single thing.

Detroit had a structural deficit of $300 million the day that he took office and it has a structural deficit of $300 million today. There hasn't been any progress made in 5 months.

How does getting rid of someone who isn't doing their job equate to Detroit's electorate not being serious about turning Detroit around?

Actually I campaigned heavily for Barrow years ago. He is smart, articulate and paid dearly for opposing Coleman. Frankly, I am sorry Ken Cockrel did not win over Bing. In the few months he was mayor he made some great appointments and started new programs. Bing doesn't impress me at all. He brought back the same old crooks that have been around since Coleman. Detroit doesn't need more of the same old same old.

It won't take me long to vote this time. Barrow for mayor, Ken and Kwame for counsel, Elena for charter reform and the proposal for district representation.

Without real reform, Detroit will fragment like cheap glass.

I just hate that Barrow always mentions that he's a kin to Joe Louis. Okay...who cares! I want someone who is passionate about getting this city out of the rut that it is in and stop making it a laughing stock of the world.

As far as I'm concerned, if he can make some progress turning Detroit around, Tom Barrow is welcome to talk about whatever relative of his he wants to.

Would you rather have someone who doesn't talk about their famous relative and doesn't make any progress?

Stosh Guest

As far as I'm concerned, a vote for Tom Barrow is a vote for recievership. Guaranteed.
    Bing is trying but is hamstrung by head in the sand-ites. Sound like anyone you know?

Bing hides, Detroit dies.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    Bing hides, Detroit dies.
    Wow. Andylinn said just the same exact thing a few minutes ago.
    The saying's just as [[[[[[y now as it was when he originally posted it.
    Last edited by Stosh; October-19-09 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Just for looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, a vote for Tom Barrow is a vote for recievership. Guaranteed.
    Bing is trying but is hamstrung by head in the sand-ites. Sound like anyone you know?
    Hamstrung by who? City Council hasn't voted no on anything he's proposed. The problem for him is that he hasn't proposed anything.

The only thing hamstringing Bing is his own administration. It's painfully apparent that Kwame Kilpatrick isn't going to make a comeback. Because judging by the Bing Administration's actions, Kwame hasn't left.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Hamstrung by who? City Council hasn't voted no on anything he's proposed. The problem for him is that he hasn't proposed anything.

The only thing hamstringing Bing is his own administration. It's painfully apparent that Kwame Kilpatrick isn't going to make a comeback. Because judging by the Bing Administration's actions, Kwame hasn't left.
    He's trying not to have to impose what's needed on the unions. But some won't budge. Sadly enough, they are hoping for rescue from their savior Barrow, who will promise them anything. Good times are a comin!

He's trying not to have to impose what's needed on the unions. But some won't budge. Sadly enough, they are hoping for rescue from their savior Barrow, who will promise them anything. Good times are a comin!

There has to be some good faith in the negotiations. Bing tells a lie, gets caught, then says that what was a lie isn't what he said, contrary to all of the documented evidence.

Bing's plan for Bing Steel when trouble comes, sell. What's his plan for the City of Detroit? Sell.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    There has to be some good faith in the negotiations. Bing tells a lie, gets caught, then says that what was a lie isn't what he said, contrary to all of the documented evidence.

Bing's plan for Bing Steel when trouble comes, sell. What's his plan for the City of Detroit? Sell.
    That may be true. But it's better than saying anything at all just to get elected. Bing's got to walk a delicate tightrope. It's not easy. And Bing Steel's fortunes are tied to the Big 3. I'd sell too. He should have sold 3 years ago though.

And what's Barrow's plan? Really? Here's a slogan. "Tell em anything. They'll buy it"

Oh, please. The only thing Mayor Bing has actually tried during his 5 months on the job is our patience.

And what's Barrow's plan? Really? Here's a slogan. "Tell em anything. They'll buy it"
    You have a legitimate criticism of Mr. Barrow in that he hasn't publicly announced a specific plan to improve Detroit's financial condition. Of course, one should also point out that when Mayor Bing was campaigning for office and was asked about his plan for turning Detroit around, his only reply was to repeat the word "change" as often as possible.

As for the "Tell 'em anything" slogan, that could very easily apply to Mayor Bing. His tenure as Mayor of Detroit thus far has consisted of a) ignoring Detroit's budget in May and most of June, b) telling us in July that no layoffs were needed to solve our problems and c) blaming Detroit's problems on everyone but his Administration from August forward.

To be truthful, it would be a disservice to the city of Detroit to have either of them elected as mayor.

I didn't vote for Bing in the last election and I'm very suspicious of Barrow. We have a convicted felon who is running for mayor and a mayor who has hired a convicted felon [[Charles Bechkam).

Either way, Detroit loses, unless Jerroll Sanders gets elected by some miracle.

I don't think the mayor has control over that issue anymore. Detroit is most likely going into receivership irregardless of what Bing / Barrow do. However, that is not necessarily bad. What if that meant the leadership of a Robert Bobb Character?

Frankly, aside from Cockrel, I don't trust any of the current Detroit political establishment, Bing and Hendrix included. We need to wash our hands and start fresh. That begins with a charter commission that does not include Hendrix, but does include Fedewa, Ford, and Blount, and a Council that only has one incombent.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Oh, please. The only thing Mayor Bing has actually tried during his 5 months on the job is our patience.
    But you have no patience with anyone. See previous postings on Cockrel and Kilpatrick, et al.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    I don't think the mayor has control over that issue anymore. Detroit is most likely going into receivership irregardless of what Bing / Barrow do. However, that is not necessarily bad. What if that meant the leadership of a Robert Bobb Character?

Frankly, aside from Cockrel, I don't trust any of the current Detroit political establishment, Bing and Hendrix included. We need to wash our hands and start fresh. That begins with a charter commission that does not include Hendrix, but does include Fedewa, Ford, and Blount, and a Council that only has one incombent.
    Well, if that's the case and recievership is a given, then all of this is just a waste of time. Including the charter commission and electing new people to council. The recievership will last a long time. Probably past next election.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast