Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default ride the bus? nope

I wanted to know how long it would take for me to ride the bus to work downtown and back. Google maps has a public transportation route planner which is cool. Driving by car, its 22 miles approx 30 minutes 1 way.
    if i had to take the bus... First i have to walk almost a mile to the closet bus stop. Then its 3 different buses to downtown, each with a wait up to a half hour between stops. then walking again a few block to the destination. Google estimates it would take 2 hours 6 minutes for the entire trip. 126 minutes to travel 22 miles. that averages out to 10.5 miles per hour! in reality rush hour it would probably be double the wait times with all the delays and stops. You could probably ride your bicycle to work FASTER than the bus! would be a good race. anyway that's it have a nice night.

Out of curiosity, where are you starting at? I can see what you mean though. The bus is definitely not for everyone. The only way public transit could be faster than driving would be if the trains / buses had exclusive right-of-way and limited stops. Also, like you were saying, bus routes don't serve all areas.

I could see park-and-ride lots working someday if they put rapid transit on certain corridors like Woodward, Gratiot, Michigan Avenue, etc. There will be people who will say, "If I'm already in my car, I may as well stay in my car and drive the whole way." However, if you time getting to a stop correctly, it could be about the same time driving vs transit. Then there are other factors like not having to worry about traffic jams and parking. But right now, the buses co-mingle with traffic so there really isn't much benefit to riding if you can drive. Eh, maybe less gas cost and car maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    First i have to walk almost a mile to the closet bus stop. Then its 3 different buses to downtown, each with a wait up to a half hour between stops. then walking again a few block to the destination. Google estimates it would
    So exactly what is the problem? Valuable time? Have mercy.

On average, that driving costs about $10.60 more than the bus for each trip. How much time do you have to work to pay for that cost with after-tax dollars?

This should be a wake up call for you to start living more sustainably. It's important to live close to where you work, and in areas where public transit is convenient and nearby [[such as the city).

The viability of our future depends on people living by using less, and living sustainably.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    This should be a wake up call for you to start living more sustainably. It's important to live close to where you work, and in areas where public transit is convenient and nearby [[such as the city).

The viability of our future depends on people living by using less, and living sustainably.
    Fantastic. That means I get to move closer to Troy.

I can see his point, though. Suppose you have to be at work at 8:00 a.m. That means you have to leave your house by 5:30 a.m. to get to work on time. Then, you get home at 7:30 p.m. It doesn't leave you a lot of home time. I guess you could read or sleep on the bus, but you have to be sort of awake to make your transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I can see his point, though. Suppose you have to be at work at 8:00 a.m. That means you have to leave your house by 5:30 a.m. to get to work on time. Then, you get home at 7:30 p.m. It doesn't leave you a lot of home time. I guess you could read or sleep on the bus, but you have to be sort of awake to make your transfers.
    So is he asking for more reliable bus service? Or is he trying to justify his driving to work everyday instead of taking a bus?

DC48080 Guest

Even if there was a decent public transit system in this area many people would still choose to drive their own car for the convenience and flexibility it offers.

Why would I want to stand outside in inclement weather waiting for a bus that may not be on time thereby making me late for work?

What do you do if you need to stop off on the way home for groceries or other errands?

What do you do if your work day entails you calling on clients away from the office? Not very impressive if you take a client out to lunch on the bus.

Bottom line, public transit is not a viable option for a large number of people despite using politically correct buzzwords like "sustainable" to make it sound so.

Fortunately in this country we do have a choice. And I along with the majority of the residents in this area choose to use my own automobile, which I find to be very "sustainable" indeed!

He's trying to make a point that doesn't really matter. Not everyone is accessible to convenient bus service and in almost all cases its faster to drive, and yes even bike it. I live off 13 express route buses, but because they stop every 2 blocks, I get to work by walking faster! It only just depends where you are in relation to the route or the frequency of arrivals, and the number of stops.

Typically, when choosing a location in an urban area, people make a decision whether they will drive or take public transportation. Obviously gopher's initial decision was to drive. I don't even think public transportation was ever considered, so I'm not sure why he or she are interested in figuring it out now.

Someone posting out in a cornfield could formulate a similar argument that transit is difficult to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    You could probably ride your bicycle to work FASTER than the bus! would be a good race.
    You've got that right. I am fortunate enough to live only 2 miles from work and I DO ride my bicycle to and from work - and it is nothing unusual for me to 'beat the bus' to work - I ride right along side it and unlike the bus I don't stop and I even have an underpass that lets me "ignore" the red light! I'd spend more time at the stop waiting for the bus than I spend in my whole 11 minute biking commute.

Even so, yes, there's no comparison. I haven't ridden a bus since 1979 and I don't intend to start again any time soon. Too much waiting and too inconvenient. And by the way, the statistics about costs of car ownership vs costs of bus riding are usually grossly and falsely slanted anyway because the costs are added up in different ways depending on who's making the argument. The green-earth-let's-all-save-the-whales-by-riding-the-bus type says cars are more expensive, but does he mention the cost in taxes of supporting the bus system, in addition to the ticket fees incurred per ride? Usually not. He also loves to create a "shock and awe" car cost figure by rolling in and prorating things like the cost of the vehicle and the insurance costs, but never mentions that those costs would be incurred anyway by the person who needs a car to take vacations, visit relatives, and do other things that require going places where buses will never go, and that therefore those costs are NOT saved by eliminating merely the Monday through Friday commute. And from a practicality standpoint, does he EVER mention the fact that it's not possible to do the grocery shopping without having the ice cream melt before the bus ever arrives at the stop? DEFINITELY not.

I'll give up my car the day the tree-huggers pry the keys from my cold, dead fingers.
    Last edited by EMG; October-17-09 at 10:59 AM.

There was more to my post than simply riding the bus or public transportation.

The other point of my post was to live closer to where you work, therefore you can walk or bike to work, or you could simply take a SHORT bus ride. This leaves you even more time to run errands than if you drove 30 -60 minutes one way to work.

The suburbs will become less of an option in the future - the country won't be able to support the idea, the upkeep or the cost of living in "dumb growth" or "sprawl."

What we really need to do is to live in TOD's. Transit Oriented Development. These are neighborhoods which are situated around a transit station [[Rail). You have everything you need within walking distance - groceries, school, day care, work, entertainment, restaurants. Anything else you need would be a quick train ride. This is the future, because Sprawl is unsustainable.

Metro Detroit is a tough place to live without a car, and hopefully sometime in the future, this will change - drastically. Or else, Metro Detroit will be a ghost town.

It's a fact that we have reached, or are on the doorstep of reaching "peak oil" - Meaning we have used 50% of the world supply of oil. After 50% is gone, the price begins to skyrocket - to prices un heard of. Living live the way Americans live will be a distant memory. Everyone will be living by using less, and living in a way where it makes economical and ecological sense.

DC48080 Guest

I live about a 10 minute drive from where I work. I still am not at all interested in taking public transit to get to and from work for the very reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

And for those who have a 30 to 60 minute commute, that is their choice and I will support their right to make said choice. I however, would not want to spend that much time on the road every day be it in a car, train, bus or whatever.

Rail is a very 19th century mode of transit and is quite obsolete in this area in this day and age. Sure it works in New York City and Chicago, but there are millions more people living in each of those towns than even lived in Detroit in it's heyday 50 years ago.

The idea of dcmorrison12's so called "TODs" is a nice dream but cannot be "sustainable" in the reality of the business world. Nobody is going to invest money to open stores, restaurants, and entertainment venues that cater primarily to folks who live within walking distance. There would not be enough profit to "sustain" the business. And there would have to be duplicate businesses every mile or so because most folks won't walk more than a half mile to get to said businesses. And what about the disabled or the senior citizens? They certainly aren't going to walk to the grocery store and lug heavy grocery bags back home.

I've said it before, if a good business case could be made for public transit we would have it here. Let's face it, this is Detroit, not Chicago or NYC. As much as some would like it to be [[and I would too), it is not. Adding more bus and rail lines will not suddenly cause an influx of people moving into Detroit. We need to clean up the schools, neighborhoods, crime and myriad other problems before we worry about building rail and bus systems that virtually nobody will use.

I'm not trying to sound negative and I am not trying to bash Detroit. I am merely looking at the reality of the situation. I lost my rose colored glasses a while ago. I now see clearly.

dcmorrison, nobody's really sure on that Peak Oil thing-a friend who worked @ GM was saying they thought internally there was a 500-year stream of Texas Tea, never said how they reached that conclusion, then there's Alberta[[why not Montana?) oil sands & all that
    http://www.billingsgazette.com/busin...cc4c002e0.html

If you look @ car ownership in the Top 10 cities,the Top 3 is L.A., Chicago, THEN Detroit-that makes no sense but this is a company town

The bus system in Detroit isn't functional. You couldn't even find a schedule online. I was appalled to run into a couple guys with 3rd Shift warehouse jobs in Troy @ a DOT bus shelter on Woodward whose bus was over an hour late & they knew they wouldn't make their transfer

hey guys good replies. I was just trying to make a specific example how unfeasable the bus option can be for some. Personally im SICK of driving to work every day i wish we had a system that worked. I just got back from Toronto and was fascinated by the transportation system there, i send 1/2 my time exploring the subway, PATH, and trolly cars, its really neat. I live in sterling heights. I considerd moving close to work, but i dont think so. If i call the cops here they are on the scene in minutes, guaranteed. Detroit ? haha you know the story. I work midnights so im not going to leave my wife home all night in the wild. I would like to see a rail connecting mt clemens and pontiac to downtown.

Back in the late 70's, I used to live in Fraser and work downtown. For a while, driving was not an option as I didn't have a reliable vehicle. I had to drive down to Gratiot, in front of Macomb Mall and park my car there. Then wait for a bus...which ran every 20 minutes or so back then. Then the ride downtown took about 45 minutes. The bus didn't stop south of 8 Mile Road, so it was a pretty quick trip from there. Then I got off near the Penobscot Building and walked to the Lafayette Building from there. It wasn't a bad trip, except that yes, I had to leave home about 6:30a.m. to make sure I got to work by 8:00...earlier in bad weather. And I didn't get home until around 6:30p.m. It was cheaper, I admit. It served its purpose. However, when my hours became erratic I found it necessary to get a reliable vehicle and drive back and forth. The driving wasn't bad [[I avoided the freeways most of the time), but parking was really expensive. When you only make $4.10 an hour [[which was my wage at the time) it really affects your net at the end of the week.

Toronto is an excellent example of how an area that cares about such things can have a workable and highly patronized public transit system, even in a cold weather city. Hell, Chicago has colder weather than Detroit most winters and has a much more extensive and well-used transit system than we have here, as does Minneapolis-St. Paul. The continuing division in our regional transit, lack of reasonable transit options for much of the area, reluctance to take even tiny steps towards a wider less bus-dependent network, and consistent move away from workplace centralization, shows what an abysmally low priority transit and transit-friendly development is around here. We've been outclassed by every other metropolitan area anywhere near our size in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    It's a fact that we have reached, or are on the doorstep of reaching "peak oil" - Meaning we have used 50% of the world supply of oil. After 50% is gone, the price begins to skyrocket - to prices un heard of. Living live the way Americans live will be a distant memory. Everyone will be living by using less, and living in a way where it makes economical and ecological sense.
    [[Cue sad violins...)

I have heard that story before, oh, let's see when was it, yes, right, in about 1973. I actually remember watching, in the early 70's, a liberal-conspiracy TV show that claimed 1979 was going to mark the end of the automobile - complete with filmed footage of the cars being crunched for the junkyard. Didn't believe it then, don't believe it now.

The solution is: DRILL HERE, DRILL NOW. Geese and environmentalists be damned.

[[No, I'm not completely that ignorant or that simplistic. I know the supply is finite. But on the other hand, the end of the world as we know it is NOT going to occur in our lifetime as some would like to scare us into believing. The end will be a whimper, not a bang).
    Last edited by EMG; October-17-09 at 03:49 PM.

Quote: "It's a fact that we have reached, or are on the doorstep of reaching "peak oil" - Meaning we have used 50% of the world supply of oil. After 50% is gone, the price begins to skyrocket - to prices un heard of. Living live the way Americans live will be a distant memory. Everyone will be living by using less, and living in a way where it makes economical and ecological sense."

If I had a nickel...

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    If I had a nickel...
    Exactly. I wonder if some of these people ever heard the story about the boy who cried wolf.

Besides, to them it shouldn't matter, because they tend to be the same people who believe a comet is going to take us out by 2012 [[which will be amended to 2039 once the ball descends on Times Square marking 2013....)

If, that is, Gorbal Warming doesn't get us even sooner [[try to ponder that without chuckling in about two months when the wind chill factor up there is negative 25 degrees).
    Last edited by EMG; October-17-09 at 03:59 PM.

Believe in riding the bus now and then, saving gas [[I ride a 90 mpg scooter many places), and global warming, but the Peak Oil thing is fantasy. It's all supply and demand. As the price goes up, new reserves will come into play, with exploration aided by quantum leaps in computer imaging of deposits. Firmly believe that increases in automotive engine efficience are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Even if there was a decent public transit system in this area many people would still choose to drive their own car for the convenience and flexibility it offers.

Why would I want to stand outside in inclement weather waiting for a bus that may not be on time thereby making me late for work?

What do you do if you need to stop off on the way home for groceries or other errands?

What do you do if your work day entails you calling on clients away from the office? Not very impressive if you take a client out to lunch on the bus.

Bottom line, public transit is not a viable option for a large number of people despite using politically correct buzzwords like "sustainable" to make it sound so.

Fortunately in this country we do have a choice. And I along with the majority of the residents in this area choose to use my own automobile, which I find to be very "sustainable" indeed!
    I agree with every word in the above 6 paragraphs, I like driving my own car to work- ALONE. If I want to stop for coffee or breakfast or to play nine holes of golf before work nobodys going to stop me. I'll give up driving my own car to work when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I like driving my own car to work- ALONE.
    That "alone" is another very important consideration as well, which until now hasn't been mentioned. Especially for people who, between spouses, children, pets, cell phones, email, work and social obligations never would otherwise have a moment's peace, the commute - where all communication with the outside world is - or should be - verbotten - might very well be the last bastion of undisturbed, personal private time - and not by any means something with which to be trifled lightly.

Some of us would DIE if we had to go directly from the demands of work to the demands of home without that interlude of freedom during which to unwind.
    Last edited by EMG; October-17-09 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    I live about a 10 minute drive from where I work. I still am not at all interested in taking public transit to get to and from work for the very reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

And for those who have a 30 to 60 minute commute, that is their choice and I will support their right to make said choice. I however, would not want to spend that much time on the road every day be it in a car, train, bus or whatever.

Rail is a very 19th century mode of transit and is quite obsolete in this area in this day and age. Sure it works in New York City and Chicago, but there are millions more people living in each of those towns than even lived in Detroit in it's heyday 50 years ago.

The idea of dcmorrison12's so called "TODs" is a nice dream but cannot be "sustainable" in the reality of the business world. Nobody is going to invest money to open stores, restaurants, and entertainment venues that cater primarily to folks who live within walking distance. There would not be enough profit to "sustain" the business. And there would have to be duplicate businesses every mile or so because most folks won't walk more than a half mile to get to said businesses. And what about the disabled or the senior citizens? They certainly aren't going to walk to the grocery store and lug heavy grocery bags back home.

I've said it before, if a good business case could be made for public transit we would have it here. Let's face it, this is Detroit, not Chicago or NYC. As much as some would like it to be [[and I would too), it is not. Adding more bus and rail lines will not suddenly cause an influx of people moving into Detroit. We need to clean up the schools, neighborhoods, crime and myriad other problems before we worry about building rail and bus systems that virtually nobody will use.

I'm not trying to sound negative and I am not trying to bash Detroit. I am merely looking at the reality of the situation. I lost my rose colored glasses a while ago. I now see clearly.
    Maybe the attitude of "This is Detroit" has gotten this city in the perdicament that it is in now. Years ago this city had neighborhood markets and a business district every so many miles. Curtis/Wyoming. Warren/Conners, Van Dyke/Harper. Mack/7. Livernois/7, Greenfield/Grand River, Gratiot/7. Each area had their own anchor store and supportive stores with it. You didnt have to drive far to Joy/Grand River if you lived on Seebalt. That is what made Detroit grand. The buses ran better and each neighborhood had their own supermarket. One may had A&P. The other had Great Scott. When you didn't like the one in the area then you travelled to the other one. They were still off a bus line and they had parking lots for those to drive.Detroit had catered to her residents back then. Now Detroit is not catering to anyone but a one night stand at a sports bar for us suburbanites

The bus is for losers. Get a job and buy a car.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast