Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default luckys bar and grille

What is taking the restaurants such as Lucky Bare and Grille, Starters bar and grille, and Fatburgers so long in opening up. Is the city being slow in sending out inspectors to give these places the okay or are there other problems?

A Fatburgers in Detroit? There is one in Southfield, I was wondering about the Lucky's joint as well.

Making the appropriate donations to nonprofit charities usually speeds the permitting process.

I've got a relative that has been trying to open up a restaurant in Detroit for almost a year now. The place is [[and has been) complete for almost 6 months but for whatever reason the city is holding up his occupancy permit.

I don't know how it's done, but asking the people in charge about worthy charities, and then making a sizable donation to them, might help.

Dnerd, those 'charities' you mention AREN'T non-profit.

Quote Originally Posted by bdglsmn View Post
    I've got a relative that has been trying to open up a restaurant in Detroit for almost a year now. The place is [[and has been) complete for almost 6 months but for whatever reason the city is holding up his occupancy permit.
    Good luck to your relative. The funny thing is, if your relative makes enough money to expand operations, he or she, will remember this experience and decide to expand outside the City of Detroit. Because the City makes it too difficult for the people who simply want to earn an honest dollar. It's sad.

Well, technically, they're 501c3's, but, uh, yeah, I think they're a way of taking profits in the form of administrative pay.

"charity" -also known as the "Society for the Preservation of the Greased Palm".See any government official for further info.

I don't trust the Bing administration. You would think that he and the common council would operate on permits giving out to proprietors whom are willing to open a deacent business in detroit. Why choke the little guy

It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be if you hire a competant architect/engineer/contractor. Most small contractors in this area are used to doing their work in small municipalities [[where there are two people in the bldg dept.) and they need hand holding to do the process in Detroit because it is more complicated [[but not anymore complicated than other large cities). But, believe me, Bing is going to consolidate departments to make the process smoother [[knock on wood). Inspectors being slow is rarely the problem, but many general contractors don't realize that their MEP subs need to have their work inspected by separate MEP city inspectors.
    Last edited by lo_to_d; October-19-09 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Stinking Boo View Post
    A Fatburgers in Detroit? There is one in Southfield, I was wondering about the Lucky's joint as well.
    You're not missing anything without a Fatburger, I don't think the one in Southfield is that good. What I miss is Lindall A.C. Fatburger will never put out a hamburger that good.