Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit candy icon Sanders launches expansion

Nice article on Saunders Candy making a comback!http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...ches-expansion

I received a very nice Sander's gift set last Christmas, with hot cocoa, chocolate sauce, and two Sander's branded mugs. Part of this relaunch maybe?

Too bad Sander's hasn't came back to Detroit. Like inside the compuware building or rencen

Stosh Guest

I used to like the Sanders hot f udge. Detroit favorite of mine. It's still being made. Follow the link Below:

http://www.sanderscandy.com/index.ph...roducts_id=194

of course, morley's sells sander's chocolate and hot fudge and also found it at aco's. yum

I wish they would bring back Vernors Ice Cream.

It might be hard to go national... but on the otherhand GHIRADELLI of San Francisco did so, apparently successfully.

On that note... what became of FRANGO, the Seattle originating chocolates that were later incorporated into the Marshall Field's Department Store product line, and spread throughout the Target owned department stores [[Dayton's, Hudson's and Marshall Fields)? Is Frango still Target owned, or has Macy's obtained it?

A few weeks ago I bought a Sanders Carmel Tea Cake, made by Morleys. It was exactly like the cake they used to make except for two things. The rich carmel frosting is now a cheap carmel colored buttercream. The yellow cake batter was nothing like the original. Morley is cutting too many corners. Fred Sanders is spinning in his grave.

agreed on the "cutting" corners comment... my s. o. won't touch the modern Sanders Bumpy Cake because it's apparently been cheapened with lower quality chocolate. Women can apparently tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Designerguy24 View Post
    Nice article on Saunders Candy making a comback!http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...ches-expansion
    I've noticed some people pronounce it "Saunders." Is there some reason for that? My grandmother used to work there and pronounces it like I would expect "Sanders" to be pronounced, but that was 65+ years ago so it isn't exactly definitive.

Never mind.

• Sanders or Saunders?

The debate over how to pronounce the name of Detroit's candy behemoth has waged for generations. Who's right? Everyone is, say the brand's owners.
      According to local lore, Europeans who frequented the early stores at the turn of the 20th century referred to the German surname as "Saunders." The name was Americanized over time.
      "There is no right or wrong way to pronounce the name," said Brian Jefferson, chairman of the company that owns the brand. "People in the same family pronounce it differently."

I've tried the Morley's version of these things and while the packaging and shape is about right the products themselves leave something to be desired. Cheaper chocolate, less rich cake, corn syrup, etc.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I wish they would bring back Vernors Ice Cream.
    THIS WAS THE BEST ICE CREAM IN THE WORLD!!!

I had to capitalize it, becuse since it was gotten rid of, life has not been the same.

Vernor's is another one that needs to get rid of the corn syrup and return to the older recipe.

ACO has great sale prices from time to time on Sanders fudge topping. We send jars of said topping to out-of-state friends and relatives. Sanders is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    agreed on the "cutting" corners comment... my s. o. won't touch the modern Sanders Bumpy Cake because it's apparently been cheapened with lower quality chocolate. Women can apparently tell these things.
    Yes, we CAN tell these things. It's a gift.

Agreed Lorax, I myself am not a big ice cream eater, or a Vernors drinker but mix the two and I can taste it now. Got me thinking of when I was a kid in the summer going for a walk with my Mom and Grandma to the Sanders at 7/Evergreen. Hot Fudge Cream Puffs for them, Vernors Ice Cream for me.

I worked at Sanders for four years at various stores on the eastside. We were told to pronounce it with the long A, just like it's spelled.

I also frequently buy the Sanders toppings, and I agree the candy does lack that certain something that made it better than the other boxed candies, Whitman and Morley to name two. I do think the ice cream is still prime quality though. Stroh's is a very close second. I think the Sanders brand is just that touch creamier.

Okay, now I want a hot fudge cream puff with butter pecan ice cream!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I've tried the Morley's version of these things and while the packaging and shape is about right the products themselves leave something to be desired. Cheaper chocolate, less rich cake, corn syrup, etc.
    Yeah, this whole trend is annoying. If they'd just bring back the original, unadulterated products, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for them. Sanders always had a high-quality reputation and the brand could build on that again.

Vernors, too. Get rid of the high-fructose corn syrup, bring back the stevia for sweetening, and infuse the pop with more natural ginger flavor like they did in the old days. Oh yeah, and add more carbonation so the fizz goes right up your nose when you open a bottle. Now that's how I remember the real Vernors!

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Yeah, this whole trend is annoying. If they'd just bring back the original, unadulterated products, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for them. Sanders always had a high-quality reputation and the brand could build on that again.

Vernors, too. Get rid of the high-fructose corn syrup, bring back the stevia for sweetening, and infuse the pop with more natural ginger flavor like they did in the old days. Oh yeah, and add more carbonation so the fizz goes right up your nose when you open a bottle. Now that's how I remember the real Vernors!
    Fury13... didn't they age it in Oak barrels?

I vaguely remember them boasting about aging it in barrels... or was that the syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Fury13... didn't they age it in Oak barrels?

I vaguely remember them boasting about aging it in barrels... or was that the syrup?

All because James Vernor went off to the Civil War and forgot about the elixir he had stored in barrels.

Modern-day Vernor's is but a shadow of its once-powerful self.

I worked at Sanders many years ago, at Livonia Mall, during the Christmas season [[ brutal...crabby shoppers, uniform co. on strike so we had to wash our own, ice cream covered pink dresses ). The very first thing they told us in orientation was it is pronounced SANDERS, not Saunders. I'm happy to see them making a bit of a revival, but not happy if Morley is cutting corners. I love their bittersweet fudge topping the most! Aco hardware, as mentioned, sells it , sometimes at special price. Takes me back to my youth!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    I worked at Sanders many years ago, at Livonia Mall, during the Christmas season [[ brutal...crabby shoppers, uniform co. on strike so we had to wash our own, ice cream covered pink dresses ). The very first thing they told us in orientation was it is pronounced SANDERS, not Saunders. I'm happy to see them making a bit of a revival, but not happy if Morley is cutting corners. I love their bittersweet fudge topping the most! Aco hardware, as mentioned, sells it , sometimes at special price. Takes me back to my youth!

You must be just a bit older than I am. I wore those, oh so attractive, bright orange, gawd awful, polyester A-line dresses. Put that little half-circle brown apron on, what a sight to behold. LOL

But I do remember the pink dresses when I went there before I worked there. BTW, we always had to launder our own uniforms and aprons. They gave you one, you could 'rent' one more. After that you had to buy them. If your size changed, you had to negotiate the exchange. Like we wanted to have one of those uniforms for ourselves. Too Funny!
    Last edited by Maxine1958; October-20-09 at 03:45 PM.

Hi Maxine...if 1958 is your birth year, I am older than youy [[ these days I feel older than almost everyone!). I was born in 1951. Did you have to wear hair nets too? I had waist length hair back then [[ didn't every girl ?)...try getting that to stay in a hair net...not enough "bobby pins" in the world could make that happen! Looking back I guess it wasn't so bad, but at the time.....not so much!

I shopped the 6 & Haggerty Sanders until it closed and was VERY sad to see it go. Remember the cheap little dixie cup of chips that accompanied the sandwiches at the lunch counter and the paper lined drink cups that would get soggy by the time you finshed lunch?

I'm also fond of Vernor's with milk - especially good for an irritated tummy. I remember touring the Woodward plant as a school kid and they were actually selling bottled Vernor's with milk and with CHOCOLATE milk that doesn't sound as good to me.

Hi Detroitbred, Yes, 1958 is my birth year. And, yes, we had to wear those lovely hairnets too. I also had long hair for most of those years. I devised a few 'up do' solutions to keep all my hair under the net. I worked at a lot of the east side stores, 7 and Gratiot, Houston/Whittier and Hayes, Eastland, Grosse Pointe, and for a long time downtown on Woodward. The best thing about that time was it gave me the incentive to stay in school, get good grades so I could get out and move on to a better job. But the health care benefits were quite nice for a job like that. My friends working at Burger King and McDonalds didn't get that.

Ah, memories . . .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast