Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Port Wine question

Cleaning out a cupboard, I found a couple bottles of unopened port. I guess they have been there for ten years or so. Any chance they are still good? Unfortunately they were stored standing up, not on their sides. One is Dow's Fine Tawny, the other Sandeman Founders Reserve. Thanks

If the cork is still good [[not dried out, etc.) they should be OK. The tawny would not have developed, their aging is done in the cask. the other is a ruby [[ok, I said rubys can mature for ages. my mistake. no sleep last night)

Ports are far more robust than table wines, as they are fortified with Brandy

both are nice ports
    Last edited by rb336; October-16-09 at 11:34 AM.

How long does port last after opening? Does the whole bottle need to be consumed in a day or two, or can you recork for later use.

tawny ports you can recork for about a week. others, I would drink in a couple of days.