Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: school films

littlebuddy Guest

Default school films

Going to school in the 60's to mid-70's in the suburbs saw lots of movies in class. The one I remember where some kid had a little toy boat and set it in a creek and it went all the way to the ocean. Another was the civil war person was going to be hanged off a bridge and the rope broke and he escapes and see his wife but right before he touches her the rope hangs him. dream or something. Lots of Michigan travelogs and stuff. There was a guy in Dearborn who bought a bunch of these films years back from the county or school system, don't know who he was, but would like to buy some of those films.

I usually pride myself on my detailed memory of my early school days, but honestly I have to say I remember seeing movies but I don't remember ANY of the plots, except perhaps one that was on deer and other wildlife shown when I was in kindergarten and first grade. What I do remember most [[I'm talking about kindergarten and first grade when everything was a new experience) was the "excitement" of having the room darkened for the movie and the MUSIC associated with the movies. [[Well there you go, while not a professional musician, I definitely have an extreme interest in music, especially of the classical-type that was used as the background for most of those movies). Today, some of the more modern classical pieces remind me of those early elementary school movies - one that especially does that for me is Mahler's 6th [["Tragic") symphony.

Default An occurence at Owl Creek bridge

The film you describe is a Twilight Zone epsisode that won an award at cannes:
    "An occurrence at owl creek bridge"

The childrens' film was called, "Paddle to the Sea" by Bill Mason and the Canadian Film Board. It's a pretty famous film in certain circles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfQuTBmW4RU

The book on which the film is based has been in print since 194o something.

there is an enire web site dedicated to the film: http://www.nighttrainfilms.net/NTFWE...eSea/index.htm

enjoy

Here's the 1st occurrence - 2 and 3 can be found right after one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jLxlyTrAC4

I used to show Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge to my students when I taught English in High School and Junior High/Middle. They loved it and they were able to understand the symbolism in the film. Two other films they really enjoyed were The Red Balloon, a French award-winner and Just Lather, That's All, based on a short story by Hernando Tellez.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    I used to show Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge to my students when I taught English in High School and Junior High/Middle. They loved it and they were able to understand the symbolism in the film. Two other films they really enjoyed were The Red Balloon, a French award-winner and Just Lather, That's All, based on a short story by Hernando Tellez.
    "Bridge" is also based on a short story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occu...l_Creek_Bridge

From the early 80's, I recall Straight Up with Louis Gossett Jr, where he takes some kid on a magic elevator to convince him to not do drugs. Everyone in the school had to watch this, and possibly answer questions about it.

Here's a particularly awesome part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkkqYo8Ve7w

Public libraries are likely to have some of these on hand and they get stacks of catalogs from the academic suppliers. The formats have changed but lots the same materials are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    From the early 80's, I recall Straight Up with Louis Gossett Jr, where he takes some kid on a magic elevator to convince him to not do drugs. Everyone in the school had to watch this, and possibly answer questions about it.

Here's a particularly awesome part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkkqYo8Ve7w
    Wow, bizzaro. So were you scared straight or did you get drunk at the video store with the other 12 year olds?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Wow, bizzaro. So were you scared straight or did you get drunk at the video store with the other 12 year olds?
    Hard to say. Maybe without seeing Louis Gossett Jr. sing about magic headbands and elevators, I'd be passed out in an alley somewhere right now. On the other hand, maybe it was just a colossal waste of taxpayer money.

The only plots I remember from school movies are the sad ones. The Red Balloon, and what was that one with the kid and his cat? J.T.? Oh, and later the gruesome driver's ed movies.

Of course, I also remember that thrilling 6th grade hygiene film. The notes went out and we were so excited to be separated, boys and girls, to learn the BIG secrets of our future teenage and adult lives. I was one of the guys on audio-visual crew, so we were able to arrange a little secret viewing of own in the A/V room of the girl's hygiene file. We could barely contain our pre-adolescent excitement as the film began to thread its way through the projector. When it was all over though, we were quite a bit more mystified than titillated, somewhat grossed out, and more than a little let down by the unexciting nature of the narration and very unsexy line drawings. Still, we had something to brag about to the other guys for several weeks, and that made it all worthwhile.

A JAM HANDY PRODUCTION