Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Indictment of America

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russel..._b_317249.html

October 12, 2009 09:20 AM

Sometimes I'm amazed that we are still breathing. With horrible abuses of animals, the planet and human kind, it's amazing that we are still here. But now I'm really afraid that our beloved country, America, is standing on its last wobbly legs. I'm worried that the karmic effects of our negative actions will finally come home to roost. Our lack of compassion and love could actually consume us. However, we are still being given signs from the universe, glimpses of hope and opportunities to rise up and live up to our promise. The whole world wants us to succeed. The whole world wants us to lead. The whole world wants us to be the beacon of hope that we all joyously supported on Nov. 5, 2008 when we elected our 44th president, Barack Obama.

It only took a little more than nine months for the world to once again let us know that they are on our side. Let us know that we did the right thing. Let us know that we took the right course of action. Let us know that our president is a man of peace. Before the president even had time to wish his dog a happy birthday and kiss his daughters on the cheek as they left for school, the vicious, hate-filled and at times, racist, attacks began.

The president's honest attempt to promote world peace through the same methods taught by Jesus Christ are met with contempt by a country whose collective consciousness is extraordinarily fearful and at times, sacrilegious. In one of the most telling moments of the past nine months, the skepticism that the President was met with after his compassionate speech in Cairo was shocking. He conceded nothing in that speech but love. This is the route that is prescribed to us by all of the great prophets in the Bible, Qur'an and the Torah. The president stood in front of the world and made the bold statement of fact that America would like to operate from a place of love. His intention to promote health care for all, a clean and sustainable environment, quality and affordable education, civil rights for everyone, including gays and an end to two wars that need to come to an end is met with so much trepidation and suspicion by a segment of this country whose perception stinks with arrogance. Our progressive president is so loving that the whole world is praying for us to lift ourselves up, yet we are still so afraid. And we have allowed hurtful, spiteful and small-minded people like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh to scare the love out of us.

America, our country is under indictment. And we will be found guilty if we don't act. If we allow these nasty, malicious people, who harbor so much hate with views that separate us from the rest of world, to continue to tell us how to think, we will be found guilty of charge one. If we allow so-called "men of faith," who don't practice a word Jesus Christ preached, to bully us and scare us, we will be found guilty of charge two. If we allow leaders of our country who claim that they represent us, when they really represent big business and corporate greed, to create policy in our name, we will be found guilty of charge three. If we allow leaders of a political party that only know one word, and that is "no," to work against the best interests of our country, we will not only be found guilty of charge four, we will be sentenced by God to self-destruction.

However. We can turn this around real fast. Our president is trying to do all of the things that he promised. He is trying to change the damaged image of America and Americans around the world. He is trying to create change, not just for change's sake, but to make our country better. He needs our support and he needs it now. I respected what he said on Saturday night at the annual Human Rights Campaign dinner, "I appreciate that many of you don't believe progress has come fast enough. Do not doubt the direction we are heading and the destination we will reach." Remember, they killed Mahatma Gandhi. They killed John F. Kennedy. They killed Martin Luther King. They killed Malcolm X. They killed Robert F. Kennedy. They killed Yitzhak Rabin. They killed many of the great dreamers. With all of the fearful men running our media, we no longer have to kill the dreamer, it is possible just to kill the dream.

with great love
    all things are possible
    -Russell Simmons
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-14-09 at 07:13 PM.

Quote: "Our president is trying to do all of
    the things that he promised."

No he isn't. He promised he would address trade and outsourcing immediately. He lied, he isn't doing jackshit about it. And that my friend will be our demise, hide and watch.

And all the other about some other people from another country possibly viewing us in a bad light because our joke government, I extend a hairy, steamy, hearty, "Fuck off" to any and all of them. They need us, we don't need them.

I think anyone with a few active neurons in another country knows what is going on here and do not blame the American people for it.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; October-14-09 at 07:23 PM.

He'll probably go down in history as one of the greatest presidents too.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

No he isn't. He promised he would address trade and outsourcing immediately. He lied, he isn't doing jackshit about it. And that my friend will be our demise, hide and watch.

And all the other about some other people from another country possibly viewing us in a bad light because our joke government, I extend a hairy, steamy, hearty, "Fuck off" to any and all of them. They need us, we don't need them.

I think anyone with a few active neurons in another country knows what is going on here and do not blame the American people for it.
    I'd hate to see the reaction from the Republicans if he unilaterally decided to axe the NAFTA and other treaties. That would make the health care debate look like a walk in the park in comparison. Being compromised by the right on this doesn't help much, I wish he would at least get some more work here by changing some provisions.

the plate was full before he was sworn in....and yes our economy is paramount...so he has taken an agenda that was ambitious..and yes I am still waiting for the republicans plan. I could only imagine what their response to this crisis would have been.

Imagine if you will if McCain would have gotten the nod...his rhetoric on Iran ..he would have Bombed it [[or at least stoked it with song)...his economic stimulus would have matched Obama's with one exception .the cutting and gutting of social services [[ a favorite of Social Darwinists)...drill baby drill and the result of that and other Environmental [[when are we going to link the environmental issues to social issues and quality of life) issues that Bush destroyed...I truly like McCain the person and the senator..a reasonable voice for opposition and balance [[some what)...but I am truly sorry , four more years of republican rhetoric and bombastic speeches and the hole would be a mile deep.

Is our President perfect ...nope..his obstructed Middle east peace plans [[thanks to the extremists in the settler movement, AIPAC, a racist Israeli FM and BIBI), the "Waterloo" that was created in the Health care debate, the extreme needs domestically...but he is a work in progress and I wouldn't count him out on the above issues yet though. I do feel safer with him, and he has helped bring our status back in the world [[which by the way is good for business) and world confidence in our business practices as well as military will take time to recover.

I truly think his best is yet to come..if the other side has cogent ideas, let's hear them..all they have is fox news talking points and teabaggers, birthers et al...where is their "new" plans? let them approach the American public with any ideas, other than no changes we were just fine..remember according to their candidate the "econonmy is basically sound".

thanks Zacha, nice post and yes bigdog he may just do it...we all should hope, that he is successful..and Don't you find it funny how before he even turned the key to the White House many on the internet were hoping for failure...not realizing that failure at this junction would be even longer bread lines eventually. That if he fails at this point it would have meant a stronger fall...he did stop or slowed down the fall with just his hope...now comes the hard part, action. But, those out there who oppose him for [[ for whatever hidden reason) JUST to oppose him won't change, even if he is successful in turning the train that BUsh started around. It would have wrecked and they would have still lined up to support failed policies..lets judge this man eight years from now.
    Last edited by gibran; October-15-09 at 04:46 AM.

Quote: "I'd hate to see the reaction from the Republicans if he unilaterally decided to axe the NAFTA and other treaties."

Why would he care about their reaction? He is a Democrat. Hate to pull the race card here, but he is sitting in a pear tree so to speak. With a portion of our country, whites and blacks, he is beyond reproach. Especially considering the fact, those same people voted for him that want trade addressed. Anyone attacks him, it's not going to play well. So the question is: What the hell is holding this guy back from working on issues that are so obvious and vital to us all? Would cause one to believe this country is in serious damned trouble. If he can't get it done, hard to say who can or it is even possible now.

[[Think that's why a lot of people voted for him) The litmus is out of solution, and it's positive.

His doctrine is he is for minorities and the little guy? The trade disaster and loss of industry doesn't affect minorities and the little guy? Who is he really for?

Great man, wrong time.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; October-15-09 at 10:08 AM.

are you serious? guess what -- it ain't 1955 anymore

no, they don't.

Quote: "it ain't 1955 anymore"

Yeah, it's a "global economy"? It is but by different definition. We control the world's economy. Ours hiccups, they crash. As evidenced during the bank bailout. Leaders from all over the world, even those that supposedly don't like us were here licking our shoes, begging us to get it fixed. They need us, we don't need them.

we need to respect all people of the world that look for us to help rebuild the economy, not just to exploit [[we used to be the anti-colonial power in the beginning of the last century: beacon of hope for third worlds) it...you can't have a half a global economy and call it a global economy, nor pretend the other parts of the world don't exist... We exploit natural resources from others, so why wouldn't we help those countries we have helped to exploit? NO we are not the only group responsible for our brothers and sisters, but if we are putting us out there to call the shots in the world-I would say we then have a responsibility to play by rules we helped develop in the first place.

ccbatson Guest

Remember Obama is cryptic...I agree that he is pursuing his agenda as originally intended with tremendous dedication. It happens to be evil and injurious to the citizenry, however, he does have integrity.

I don't think you WAIT to judge or assess the presidents actions and policies 8 years after his run! And who is assuming he is getting an 8 year run!? Judgment and assessment is ongoing per what policies emerge from said admin; per what events occur locally and nationally, and derived from observing the presidents response to those event[[s).

This is especially true with the fiscal, economic and civil unrest here and our military engagement at two levels thus far in the middle east. Is this president exempt from any criticism as Simmons suggests? The polls are shifting up and down re. to approval rate of this and any sitting president, remove that and we have a dictatorship. Is this a response that should be silenced? Until a prescribed and appropriate time in the future???

As you now see, I don't fully agree with Simmons comments or his assertions - I posted his article to see how others might weigh in on it. I find his writing to be a bit dramatic, and his outrage is selective at best. Sure there are many things this country may be indicted about. He cherry pics a select few per his world and political view. As he has the right to do in a free country. And readers of such may express themselves re. his writings, pro or con.

Speaking of spending re. the economy, yes Bush was full out in the spending arena and Obama is surpassing that triple-fold with more spending and bigger government! The fact that the conservatives spent like crazy should be cautionary for this admin re. taxing and spending. It is not strangely. It has just been sweetened with a "low hanging" fruit nugget of redistributing the wealth, to the waiting constituents who make up part of the supportive voters. And the Obama administration is not without bombastic "speeches" and even more promises...

I am not a republican, yet I don't dismiss all conservative ideas nor do I reflexively celebrate all democratic concepts.

I tend to think more as an independent. Thus, I am not a party loyalist automatically siding up with "my" party no matter what. Do I think McCain would have done better? No not really. And yet the "this or that side" argument only attempts to make "simple" that which is far more complicated.

What a perfect "easily fix" world that behavior and policy could always be summed and walled off as common for the repubs or dems. We need to get a clue that there is no action of behavior exclusive to one party alone. The independent voters tend get that. As do the independent thinkers which ever voting card they may carry in their wallet.

For example to say that everyone apposing the Obama Health Care plan was or is a 'birther', 'teabagger' or right winger is not true... [[but it would be a neat package were it so - wouldn't it?). Many of the questions asked [[even the ones yelled) have withstood the partisan boxes from which they simply could not be contained.

Even some who were not at those "town house" rallies benefited from the cane wavers inquiries withstanding their mocking indifference... The concerns and blatant inconsistencies and infeasibilities of the plan could not be fully ignored or fully ascribe only to be of the so called "right-wing" kooks.

Especially the senior population component who represent a significant, and active voting percentage here in the US. Thus, the plan has had to be revised to some extent... as it needed to be at minimal.

Re. the conservative ideas and options re. government controlled Health Care, there are many, but one would have to be "willing" to learn about these options. Too often we're reflexively "allergic" to even approach any conservative information, believing all conservative news to be born of Rush or Beck, therefore dismissible full-out.

Sound bites are not sufficient to really understand either side of most issues.

A simple google search: "conservative health care policy options" reveals many ideas and plans from the conservative, bipartisan and republican point of view: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...2755c6b3e9b2e9

Getting back to the Russell Simmons article, his initial sentiments seem heartfelt and positive and that is a good thing. Who would not agree? One might ponder. However, later in the article he asserts that any descent regarded the presidents policies or views amounts to a simple "No". This is a simplification at best.

A simplification again referencing the all mighty Rush and Beck. Ascribed as the grand conservative poo-ba's, creators, and distillers of ALL conservative thought?

The Rush/ Beck summation "dumbs" down the argument, over-simplifies, silencing legitimate debate which can now be cast off as rhetoric at best, racism at worst. What a convenient way to sum up the totality of conservative, and independent thought? And even bipartisan thought.

Taking his [[Simmons') position as he lays it out, Rush/ Beck "OWN" and instigate any question, or inquiry re. for example the feasibility of Medicare style "health care for all"?

Simmons assertion: Americans not lining up 100% with all of the presidents, and administration must be receiving their "marching" or-eh "cane waving" orders from THESE TWO MEN?

So, those who dissent or question the given administration policies have no means of discernment, or ability of independent evaluation?

According to Simmons, they don't.

So, what of the reader who subscribes to Simmons perspective re. this? Are they more secure and sated that ALL opposition ideas are born of Rush and Beck. And therefore instantly "dismissible" without any further investigation or reasoning of their own.

What does that say about their response to Simmons directive to ignore and dispense with other ideas or dissent as simply republican "marching orders"?

Can we really think for ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    the plate was full before he was sworn in....and yes our economy is paramount...so he has taken an agenda that was ambitious..and yes I am still waiting for the republicans plan. I could only imagine what their response to this crisis would have been.

Imagine if you will if McCain would have gotten the nod...his rhetoric on Iran ..he would have Bombed it [[or at least stoked it with song)...his economic stimulus would have matched Obama's with one exception .the cutting and gutting of social services [[ a favorite of Social Darwinists)...drill baby drill and the result of that and other Environmental [[when are we going to link the environmental issues to social issues and quality of life) issues that Bush destroyed...I truly like McCain the person and the senator..a reasonable voice for opposition and balance [[some what)...but I am truly sorry , four more years of republican rhetoric and bombastic speeches and the hole would be a mile deep.

Is our President perfect ...nope..his obstructed Middle east peace plans [[thanks to the extremists in the settler movement, AIPAC, a racist Israeli FM and BIBI), the "Waterloo" that was created in the Health care debate, the extreme needs domestically...but he is a work in progress and I wouldn't count him out on the above issues yet though. I do feel safer with him, and he has helped bring our status back in the world [[which by the way is good for business) and world confidence in our business practices as well as military will take time to recover.

I truly think his best is yet to come..if the other side has cogent ideas, let's hear them..all they have is fox news talking points and teabaggers, birthers et al...where is their "new" plans? let them approach the American public with any ideas, other than no changes we were just fine..remember according to their candidate the "econonmy is basically sound".

thanks Zacha, nice post and yes bigdog he may just do it...we all should hope, that he is successful..and Don't you find it funny how before he even turned the key to the White House many on the internet were hoping for failure...not realizing that failure at this junction would be even longer bread lines eventually. That if he fails at this point it would have meant a stronger fall...he did stop or slowed down the fall with just his hope...now comes the hard part, action. But, those out there who oppose him for [[ for whatever hidden reason) JUST to oppose him won't change, even if he is successful in turning the train that BUsh started around. It would have wrecked and they would have still lined up to support failed policies..lets judge this man eight years from now.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-19-09 at 05:59 AM. Reason: A few typos -- oops!

ccbatson Guest

We all should be praying he[[Obama) is a one term President and that he loses effectiveness by lack of confidence as soon as possible.

Hmmn, I think that particular "promise" got forgotten. Along with others... Health care has eclipsed alot. And now two wars in the middle east... well, after all who can recall all of the campaign promises of any president?

ccbatson Guest

Did anyone on the right ever think Obama would have the integrity to keep any of these deceptive and cryptic promises?

I do/ did not... too many of them contradict one another...

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Did anyone on the right ever think Obama would have the integrity to keep any of these deceptive and cryptic promises?

ccbatson Guest

What about the moderates and independents....a very important point as once they realize that they were deceived, the left will suffer a huge political cost.

Yep, excellent point! The response of the mods and indies is not as "manageable" for sure. Unlike the full-out so called right-wingers who can be dismissed as part of the waning Bush cabala, the independents and moderates tend to look at both sides or an issue or pending policy and are not deep dish party loyalists.
    What about the moderates and independents....a very important point as once they realize that they were deceived, the left will suffer a huge political cost.

Every president makes promises. Few are kept, because the promises are based on insufficient information. Until one actually takes the office, one doesn't know what strictures one will be dealing with.

Promises are only useful in ascertaining a candidate's thinking and leanings. Every president tries to make good on his/her promises, but circumstances always overtake them.

Quote: "Every president tries to make good on his/her promises, but circumstances always overtake them."

Translated: They take office and realize, our government's hands are tied in regard to some areas.

ccbatson Guest

Liberal reasoning...2 wrongs make a right...pathetic attempt [[failed) Elganned.

Conservative reasoning...continue performing the same actions believing this time you'll get a different result.

I haven't believed a single campaign promise since the first Eisenhower administration. Oh, sure, I believe they all think they'll be able to do what they promise and are sincere in wanting to accomplish those promises, and some even achieve a small victory now and then. But the track record isn't good, and conditions don't appear to have changed much. As my father used to say, "I'm not cynical, just experienced."

BTW, I'm curious what "2 wrongs" you reference, and what "right" you think I think has been achieved?

ccbatson Guest

Reagan lowered taxes...as did GWB....promises [[important ones) kept.

Okay, so those are the "2 wrongs"--where's the "right" you think they equal?

important because they lead directly to the two most rapid increases in our debt in history, to the phoney wall street-driven economy, the demise of the middle class....

ccbatson Guest

Not the point [[first of all)...we were discussing the integrity of keeping campaign promises.

Second, the problem as far as debt is concerned has to do with government spending which is a point with which I strongly agree and fault GWB [[much less so Reagan) for abusing like "a drunken liberal" [[now proven by Obama...although he might not be inebriated).