Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cardinelli's Restaurant

Does anyone remember an Italian restaurant named Cardinili's [[sp) from the late 60s, early 70s?

Great Italian food. I liked the Lasagne Verde. Wine was served in heavy coffee mugs. Just like during prohibition.

Wasn't there just a thread on this like 3 weeks ago? On Moran near Gratiot, "cold coffee," etc...

Cardinelli's.

Yes, it was mentioned in the Gone but Not Forgotten Restaurants thread.

I remember the name but never had the pleasure...

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Great Italian food. I liked the Lasagne Verde. Wine was served in heavy coffee mugs. Just like during prohibition.
    but you had to byob didn't you?

I'm new to this site. How would I access the Gone but Not Forgotten Restaurants thread?

Its in the Hall of Fame threads. Great reading.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1235367035

Thanks it was a great read. My husband and friends used to go to Cardinellis in the 70s. He said you had to knock on the door to get in, but I don't remember that. How about Benno's in Indian Village

Cardinali's was BYOB. But, I think the ladies provided refreshments occasionally. It was on Mitchell just north of Gratiot. I was in just before she decided to close. She [[I don't remember her name) said "I'm going to Italy, I'll be back in a couple of weeks". I went back a few times after and she never re-opened. That was in the late 80's, I believe.

Benno wanted to buy a business from me in the early 80's while he was still in his place on Agnes Street in Indian Village. He then opened his restaurant on John R. It later became the Courthouse Brassiere. Benno went to Royal Oak for his next restaurant and at some point opened a place in northern Michigan. I can't remember where. His schtick was : you had to have a reservation. Come in, sit down and I serve you what I create that day. There were never more than a couple of options, if that. Benno had a large and loyal following. He was quite the arrogant fellow. But, if you knew him he could be entertaining and funny.