Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Suburban Crimes

Default Suburban Crimes

Wasn't sure if okay to post here in the "Detroit" section but figured it was a good place to balance things out a little bit.

Not to focus on crime in any city but it does happen everywhere. Yes Detroit prevails much more in it's crime statistics and there are reasons for that.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21286298/detail.html
    Arrests Made In Heroin Bust Livingston Cracks Down On Heroin Dealers

[[it's just as much of a crime to possess and distribute heroin in hamburg as it is in detroit)

I agree...just moved to Belleville to a nice quiet condo complex on the lake. We have been here just a month and already 3 units have been broken into when residents were not home. Times are tough everywhere and the worse it gets the higher the crime rate will go. No one is protected.

EastSider Guest

Belleville has been troubled for a long time. Watch out for the huge fights between Belleville High and Ypsi.

Having had my home robbed in Detroit, I guess I still a little shell shocked, eventhough I use my alarm and have theft insurance in Oak Park. I heard someone discussing how their home had recently been robbed and the main items stolen belonged to the children.

Not to focus on crime in any city but it does happen everywhere.
    from the article:

Undercover officers worked for months to track the flow of drugs from Detroit to Livingston County.
    and further...

"We know who the users were but we needed to get to the suppliers who were bringing it in to Hamburg," said Luciano.
    DEA Agent Robert Corso told Local 4 the investigation went from a street-level arrest in Detroit to arrests made in Mexico.
    Users are everywhere, but the nexus is still Detroit.

crawford Guest

I would wager most suburban police officers would tell you that most suburban drug-related or violent crime can be traced back to Detroit, so no, there is no real point to this thread.

Witness the major suburban crime in the papers just these past weeks. A heroin-related death in Warren, just off 8 Mile, and the dealer was a Detroit resident. A shooting in Southfield by a Detroit resident. No, not ALL suburban crime, of course, but far out of proportion to relative populations. And it's no coincidence that most of the suburbs going down the tubes happen to border Detroit.

Now if your argument is that there is SOME crime everywhere, then I am completely lost. Mogadishu = Bloomfield Hills, because both have SOME crime?

The quality of life of Detroit residents has just improved, now that this story of a crime happening somewhere else has been found. Detroit rises*.

*Results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    I would wager most suburban police officers would tell you that most suburban drug-related or violent crime can be traced back to Detroit, so no, there is no real point to this thread.

Witness the major suburban crime in the papers just these past weeks. A heroin-related death in Warren, just off 8 Mile, and the dealer was a Detroit resident. A shooting in Southfield by a Detroit resident. No, not ALL suburban crime, of course, but far out of proportion to relative populations. And it's no coincidence that most of the suburbs going down the tubes happen to border Detroit.

Now if your argument is that there is SOME crime everywhere, then I am completely lost. Mogadishu = Bloomfield Hills, because both have SOME crime?
    How much suburban money is spent on drugs in the city? How much suburban money is used to mainatin the drug trade that is killing the city of Detroit?

You can bitch about drug crime flowing into the suburbs [[as it does) but you can't ignore the amount of suburban drug money that comes into the city.

I have nothing to add to this potential pissing match thread of "my neighborhood is less worse than yours" which is about as high school argument as you can have.

However, Johnlodge, that was hilarious.

What about the SUBURBAN lady that burned her small children alive? Suburbanites are getting more crazy by the day.

You can bitch about drug crime flowing into the suburbs [[as it does) but you can't ignore the amount of suburban drug money that comes into the city.
    Not to be cynical and realistic, but how much of that drug money flowing into the city is spent at Detroit businesses, fast food joints, clothing retailers, restaurants, liquor stores, etc. If that money weren't flowing in, how much worse off would the city be? How many more little businesses would fold?

The underground economy sustains a lot of what little business infrastructure remains here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonyo exit View Post
    Not to be cynical and realistic, but how much of that drug money flowing into the city is spent at Detroit businesses, fast food joints, clothing retailers, restaurants, liquor stores, etc. If that money weren't flowing in, how much worse off would the city be? How many more little businesses would fold?

The underground economy sustains a lot of what little business infrastructure remains here.
    To follow it further, how much crime would go away if drug prohibition were lifted? Imagine the tax revenue!

In the short term it can be perceived as an economic bonus to the city. I would happily take the short term pain of businesses closing if we could miraculously end the drug trade in the city. Crime, social issues and dependency on social services would drop significantly. This would certainly put the city in a position to attract more businesses/residents.

I heard an officer from Livingston saying that the Hamburg Drugs were coming in from Ann Arbor. Regrardless I agree that this thread is pointless. We can't build up Detroit by pointing to problems in the areas that surround it. The whole regon needs to hang tough and strong. We are only as strong as the sum of our parts.

It makes me wonder if our economy would be better if we had easier trade with the half millin or so that live in our region but reside on the other side of the strait? What is the impact to our local economy of not having easy cross-border trade as we once had? Bad economy certainly does not help crime or make people abuse less drugs.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-14-09 at 03:28 PM.

By extension, how many suburban clothing stores and car dealerships benefit from that crooked money?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    By extension, how many suburban clothing stores and car dealerships benefit from that crooked money?
    And to pontificate further, I know you are but what am I? In conclusion, neener neener na na.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    And to pontificate further, I know you are but what am I? In conclusion, neener neener na na.
    But I know who I am, so who are you?

::tapes "kick me" sign to your back::

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    But I know who I am, so who are you?

::tapes "kick me" sign to your back::
    I hadn't planned on this turn of events. You win this time.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009101...1014026/?imw=Y

Mother, son charged in Detroit rec center slaying
    BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A mother and her 15-year-old son were charged with murder today after prosecutors say the teen shot a bystander at a Detroit recreation center Thursday with a gun he got from his mother.

“I’ve seen situations like this before, but not quite this blatant,” Prosecutor Kym Worthy said today, announcing the charges against Terranisha Davis, 35, and her son, Tremaine Davis, 15, both of Detroit. “I don’t know how we can expect our youth to stay out of violent crime if we have their parents assisting them in that endeavor.”

Investigators say Tremaine Davis was involved in an argument earlier Thursday at the Considine Little Rock Family Center at 8904 Woodward Ave. Terranisha Davis, who had been at a gas station across the street, drove over to the center and popped the latch on the hood of her van so Tremaine Davis could retrieve a gun hidden inside, Worthy said.

Standing silently in 36th District Court at his arraignment this afternoon, Tremaine Davis was remanded to custody without bail pending a hearing Nov. 6.

“The evidence in this case will show you cannot unlatch the hood unless it is unlatched from the inside" of the van, Worthy said.

The teen then sent four bullets from the .32 revolver flying outside the center at 3:40 p.m. Demitry Jackson, 19, an innocent bystander there to play basketball, died from a shot to the head.

After the shooting, Terranisha Davis drove her son from the scene, but both were arrested several blocks away by Detroit police. The weapon has been recovered.

Each has been charged with first-degree murder and faces life in prison without parole. Terranisha Davis’ arraignment did not take place as previously scheduled at 5 p.m. today in 36th District Court.

And people say that Detroiters aren't involved in the lives of their children; here is a mom who took time out of her busy day to chauffer her son to an activity of his choosing and the poor girl is arrested.

Shameful, I say.

DetroitDad Guest

There are bad neighborhoods in suburbia just like there are bad neighborhoods in Detroit.

Suburbia [[anything outside of 8 Mile and Telegraph) verse Detroit is a red herring. When you are talking about crime in Detroit, you are usually talking about individual areas, while other good neighborhoods get lumped in with being Detroit, the same goes with the opposite in suburbia. Not all of suburbia has a lower crime rate than Detroit!

I know I have been guilty of this in the past, but I vote for abolishing calling regions just Detroit, the city, or suburbia, and instead calling them by maybe neighborhood or something else.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; October-14-09 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Grammar

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    There are bad neighborhoods in suburbia just like there are bad neighborhoods in Detroit.

Suburbia [[anything outside of 8 Mile and Telegraph) verse Detroit is a red herring. When you are talking about crime in Detroit, you are usually talking about individual areas, while other good neighborhoods get lumped in with being Detroit, the same goes with the opposite in suburbia. Not all of suburbia has a lower crime rate than Detroit!

I know I have been guilty of this in the past, but I vote for abolishing calling regions just Detroit, the city, or suburbia, and instead calling them by maybe neighborhood or something else.
    Please name a bad neighborhood in a suburb of Detroit, with statistics showing a greater crime rate. And Pontiac is not a suburb of Detroit. You can just as easily plot crime by zip code.

DetroitDad Guest

Highland Park and Inkster are worse than some neighborhoods in Detroit, while Downtown has a lower crime rate than the national average.

crawford Guest

Highland Park and Inkster are worse than some neighborhoods in Detroit, while Downtown has a lower crime rate than the national average.
    Highland Park is essentially a Detroit neighborhood.

Inkster was developed by Henry Ford specifically as a ghettoized enclave of shacks for Southern migrants.

And you have no clue if "downtown has a lower crime rate than the national average". That sounds like some Model D website BS.

You don't have the data because:
    1. Downtown is not a police precient; and
    2. Detroit does not break down crime data by smaller levels than precient [[or whatever they call the new arrangement).

There is no possible way one could make such a claim about Downtown.

And it's irrelevent anyways. The Census reports 5,000 residents downtown. Detroit has at least 800,000 residents.

Stosh Guest

Downtown is the Green Zone. Think analogous to Baghdad. That's just insane to compare any of that to Downtown. Highland Park is not a suburb, by your definition. And Inkster's crime rate in comparison to what? The Green Zone?
    Inkster wins, 5246.9 to 9467.

Here's Inkster's crime rate:

http://inkster.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

And Detroit's
    http://detroit.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast