Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Saab asks for tax break to move U.S. headquarters to Royal Oak

Saab asks for tax break to move
    U.S. headquarters to Royal Oak By Jeremy Carroll
    C & G Staff Writer

http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Ar...-tax-break.asp

Is 4327 Delemere Court really the address they're looking at?

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...1410&encType=1

I mean, it's a pretty glamorous building and all...

not good news for the Ren Cen. Hopefully this has come up in Bing's talks with GM and they are negotiating.

There's a lot more not good news coming for the Rencen coming down the pike.

Although GM will most likely [[I never believe what a company the size of GM says verbatim, as "conditions change") stay there as it's official headquarters, thousands of employees are most likely going to be relocated to Warren. It's presence will be a shell; I never thought it after they spent the money to upgrade, but from what I hear inside, logistically, it's just better to have everything operations-wise in Warren for the company.

There's a distinct possibility a good portion of the rencen will be and remain vacant for a long time [[there's already over a tower worth of vacant space in there). How this will affect downtown is that again, if a company does want to get incentivized into the city, the rencen is going to fill up first as it's the best building and a landmark that companies would want to have a part of before any other new developments happen downtown, so this has other repercussions. This happened when the Rencen was built, in effect being the best on the block and killing the market for all the other buildings - and it will do it again. I sometimes wonder if that thing never should of been built, frankly. If it hadn't, there'd be a lot more occupied buildings downtown.

Saab, as it will be/is no longer part of GM, would not want to be in the same building as what would now be a competitor. That's simply not a good idea, and Royal Oak is pretty central and close to where a lot of their talent actually lives. So I guess better in an industrial park [[it's not the interesting part of Royal Oak, for sure, I've been there) than not in the state at all.

In short, from reading the article which corroborates what I've heard, it's either Royal Oak or the region loses them to Connecticut. Bing can't do anything about this one - seems as if they've made up their mind to leave the city proper.

In short, the answer is No.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    In short, the answer is No.
    What was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    What was the question?
    >Saab asks for tax break to move U.S. headquarters to Royal Oak

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Is 4327 Delemere Court really the address they're looking at?

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...1410&encType=1

I mean, it's a pretty glamorous building and all...
    What a strange location. Perhaps it's just for storage or support? I mean with all the empty office space around, that just seems odd.