Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WSU Math Corps = Detroit Kids Graduating

"Despite school system woes, 90% of kids who attend Wayne State University's free math camp graduate from high school."

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/assignment_detroit/

I don't post much anymore, but I just had to say this story is inspiring.

There needs to be more of this.

And the highlight that most people will miss is that not only is the professor teaching students math, but he's teaching students to help other students with math. Too often we forget the person in need can also become an asset to help others in need.

Thanks for the post East Detroit!

That's an inspiring story.

Part of that 90% figure might be due to the preselection of applicants who would have graduated anyway. [[Perhaps only those already likely to graduate ever consider applying for the program.)

The really important thing is that mathematicians peak at a very early age so it's more critical to detect their talents earlier than in other fields.

The tragedy is when talented students aren't recognized and so choose a less successful path in life. Not only do they lose opportunity for themselves but we all lose the benefit of their contribution.

Hats off to Professor Leonard Boehm. He cares.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-13-09 at 07:23 PM.

May we have 100s more Leonard Boehms in the city, willing to set up these programs and make a difference. It was people like that who got me where I am today -- DAPCEP, WSU/DPS "Super Saturdays", and a zillion other programs. My parents had no idea how to get me ready for college, so they took me to people who did at the height of the crack trade in the D, when the streets were crazier than they are now [[look at the stats if you don't believe it).

We've always known what works. The problem is that programs like this need funding. So they get funding for a number of years, and when the funding gets cut by "citizens" who don't believe in noblesse oblige or the public good, they disappear. Given enough funding and personnel [[NOT necessarily teachers, either), we could get the graduation rate in Detroit up to 70% within the next decade, easily.

Great post and story. Thank you East Detroit for posting it.

YAY!

Now that's real education. WSU students helping kids in the ghetto universal math. Now if only this illiterate nation can get into math. We Americans have to catch up with the kids in Japan, China and India.