Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Capitalism, A Love Story

Well, I waited and waited for somebody else to post something about this movie.

I went to the "premier" of sorts at The Whiting in Flint, MI. The fellow who performed the music in the movie was there. He was playing selections from the movie. Then Michael Moore came out for a quick talk before the movie started. After the movie, he came out again to follow up the movie with a few quick questions and answers. One of the things he talked about was getting Iggy Pop to re-work the wording for one of the songs in the movie. He talked a little bit about the Michigan Voice, the newspaper he started out with.

There were cheers for the material in the movie. I feel this movie is his best yet. He's a home town fella who started out with a true message that is near and dear to our hearts here in the city-the destruction of Flint [[or insert your city's name) by GM and Wall Street.

I went again to see the movie over the weekend with my husband. Again with the cheers in the audience. I think everyone should see this movie even if you don't agree with Michael Moores' politics. I especially hope all birthers and neo-con supporters go to this movie so they can see first hand what their policies and politics have allowed Wall Street [[Greed Street) movers and shakers do to this country.

In September, Michael Moore was to host private screenings with question and answer sessions at the theaters in the Ren Cen. He was not allowed to enter the property. Even though the movie theater is not run by GM, another company rents it from the corp. So he was barred by GM from attending his own movie in downtown Detroit.

Personally, I love this movie. It brought tears to my eyes, because I remember what Flint used to be like, and what it is now. I remember watching the GM water tower being dismantled. It is a movie that inspires and imparts hope, that we will once again be a great country, if we all get involved in our government. I guess I wouldn't expect GM to roll out the red carpet for him, but I would think that after 20 years since the debut of "Roger and Me" and history showing Michael's predictions were correct, the corp would have made an exception. [[tongue firmly in cheek on that last statement)

Have any of you seen the movie? What did you think of it?

I've included a link to Michael Moore's website, so you can view more information. www.michaelmoore.com

The trailer.

An interview.

Mama, how much were tickets?

Yet, he fails to mention that the fact that our country is what it is allows him to make his millions. Michael Moore is worthless to our society and I'm sure once I see this movie, I'll dislike him even more.

Gnome, the show in Flint was free. Seating at The Whiting was a first come first served basis. The place was packed and I had to sit in the second row from the front. The upside is I could see Michael Moore from up close, as if he was in my living room.

The tickets at the theater were $7.00 per adult. We went to Trillium Theaters in Grand Blanc.

Jerrytimes, Michael Moore does a lot of good with "his millions". He is helping with attorney fees for one of the families in the movie who was evicted by their mortgage company. He lives in the Grand Traverse area. He has an apartment in NY. His family drives a Chrysler mini van with over 100,000 miles on it. He does a lot more for the "little guy" than all of the Greed Street bankers put together. During the prelude to the movie, Michael Moore offered to back financially, anybody who wished to work with him to open the Capitol theatre in downtown Flint. Just so we could at least have one operational movie theater within the city limits and to hopefully stimulate more foot traffic and business in the downtown area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Jackson View Post
    I especially hope all birthers and neo-con supporters go to this movie so they can see first hand what their policies and politics have allowed Wall Street [[Greed Street) movers and shakers do to this country.
    Yeah, that'll happen. The wingnuts hate, hate, hate him and will never even entertain the thought that he might have a point.

I have to shake my head at the folks who say he's a hypocrite because he makes money off his films. He said it best, "as long as people are willing to pay to see my movies, I'll make them." He's not exploiting Third World labor, scamming consumers, lobbying for corporate welfare, pushing for laws that make his "product" compulsory, beating down unions, asking for bailouts, raiding pension funds, running a ponzi scheme, hiding behind PR people, trashing the environment, or evading taxes. He's making money the honest way, and he's using it toward causes he believes in. What's wrong with that?

I watched the movie. I agree with many of his observations although he seemed to be more against corporatism than basic capitalism. I was glad to see that he attacked Senator Dodd for being a crook. He also took on Rubin, Summers, and Geithner. Moore then went on to present President Obama as someone whom the big corporations didn't see coming. That, according to Moore, is the reason Goldman-Sachs donated almost $1M to the Obama campaign but hey, with Obama, the corporations are on the run. Why Moore didn't point out that Summers, Rubin, and Geithner were hired by Obama is the most glaring crack in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Yeah, that'll happen. The wingnuts hate, hate, hate him and will never even entertain the thought that he might have a point.

I have to shake my head at the folks who say he's a hypocrite because he makes money off his films. He said it best, "as long as people are willing to pay to see my movies, I'll make them." He's not exploiting Third World labor, scamming consumers, lobbying for corporate welfare, pushing for laws that make his "product" compulsory, beating down unions, asking for bailouts, raiding pension funds, running a ponzi scheme, hiding behind PR people, trashing the environment, or evading taxes. He's making money the honest way, and he's using it toward causes he believes in. What's wrong with that?
    Exactly, and as Mama J. said he hasn't forgotten the "little guy" or where he came from. I will probably wait for the DVD before I see this, but the trailer looks good.

Unfortunately, Oladub, capitalism is corporatism in the United States in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Unfortunately, Oladub, capitalism is corporatism in the United States in 2009.
    You are half right. Corporatism is collusion, the scratching of each other's backs, between big government and large corporations. Government is half of the corporatist equation.

Michael Moore I could take or leave, however, I wish he and his admirers would quit trying to call what he does "documentary" film making. He has never made a documentary, they are all sanctimonious, editorialized, opinion pieces. He has not met a fact he could not distort to fit his meme or a quote he could take out of context to paint his villian du jour as slightly better than the anti-crist. He is the left's rush limbaugh. And, like limbaugh, I think his lazy ranting for the sake of making some cash and becoming "the story" for a news cycle or two, harms real debate about important issues by reducing it all to screaming invective.
    Last edited by bailey; October-13-09 at 10:03 AM.

spoken like a person who has never seen them, but sure does listen to what wingnut talkers say about him

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    spoken like a person who has never seen them, but sure does listen to what wingnut talkers say about him
    thanks for proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    thanks for proving my point.
    What did you think about the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    What did you think about the movie?
    any of them

favorite/least favorite scene?

any items you can actually verify are untrue?

ccbatson Guest

Moore is a master of deception...forunately, Sean Hannity ripped him up and down in a 45 minute interview last week.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    any of them

favorite/least favorite scene?

any items you can actually verify are untrue?
    Yup[[just not this one... I'm sure I'll see it eventually) and yup...but I'm really not going to debunk and point out everything I [[and others) noticed or found awfully convenient. I'm not saying it's full of lies, I'm saying it's agitprop not a documentary.

ccbatson Guest

Moore tried to pull one on Sean in the interview as follows: Moore: you trust the FBI, right? Hannity: Yeah, for the most part. Moore: Then you must agree with the FBI's report having something to do with health care stats? Hannity: No, not at all.

Here is the trick he tried to pull by analogy; You trust your plumber right? Sure, for the most part. Well, you must agree with the plumber's association report on the lifecycle of termites....Huh? Well, termites eat wood and threaten the wood infrastructure of a home, and plumbing is an integral part of the structure and function of a house, so....plumbers must be expert on termites....NOT

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Moore is a master of deception...forunately, Sean Hannity ripped him up and down in a 45 minute interview last week.
    Since you never take the time to post a video to back up your claims, I found it for you:

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiw...-hannity-watch

Really? You think Hannity won that one? He basically repeated the same tired right-wing talking points: "How much money do YOU have?" "If you don't like capitalism why don't you give all your money away and move to Cuba?" "The mortgage crisis was caused entirely by the Carter administration and irresponsible people living beyond their means!" Blah, blah, blah. The only time it got interesting was when they were talking about fighting terrorism, which doesn't have much to do with capitalism.

Moore is a propagandist; his films are "documentaries" only insofar as they can't really be classified in any other category--they're not drama, or comedy [[though there are some funny parts), or any of the other slots that the movie industry has. They don't have a "satire" category, and that's what his films are, primarily.

His saving grace is that he's never pretended to be anything else. He doesn't distort, per se, he just emphasizes those things that support his premise while leaving out those things that don't support it very well. He never has claimed to be even-handed, nor should anyone expect him to be. He has an agenda, and satire is his way of getting his message across.

He's entertaining and informative, as long as you don't take everything he has to say at face value or think he's presenting the whole story.

ccbatson Guest

2 part interview first of all...you missed the second part. And yes Hannity buried Moore.

He doesn't look that buried from where I'm sitting. Maybe you need a better perspective on the situation.

WOW my guy won and your guy lost [[ i wonder if there is anything that the right does that isn't keeping score or saying no to, without offering alternatives?).. I saw the first interview and was pretty much..how much money do you really make? none of you business...how much money do you make ...ok I make money..what's your point..well capitalism gives you the vehicle? Maybe Moore should have said ok its a free world don't go and see it?

Oh no he didn't. Sean Hannity did not bury Michael Moore. In fact, his interview with Michael Moore was pre-recorded. He wouldn't even try and go one on one like Wolf Blitzer did. He consistantly tried to make Michael Moore a hippocrite, and he failed.
    www.michaelmoore.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast