Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why do people have children they knew they couldn't provide for?

http://www.freep.com/article/2009101...lution----fast

I can't figure out why people have children and they know they don't have the resources to provide them the necessisites.

If people waited until they could afford children, would be very few people.

I blame it on the left-wing media.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    I have one child and would like to have more, but I know I can't afford anymore children. It's not fair to the child or the parent to bring them into this world and you can provide for their needs. I'm just wondering if people think about it before having children.

would be very few people.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Well, the lowering birth rates haven't helped Social Security or Medicare. Even under the best economic circumstances, there aren't enough workers to support the payments.

People don't seem to think about this when that old siren call hits them, and then the die is cast. We do have this anti-abortion thing going on that discourages post-conception family planning. Seriously, it is something we as a society could afford to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    here here -- i vote for that!

Quote:
    would be very few people.

That is why I'm staying in Detroit. It's getting much easier to drive around here. No lines at the checkouts.

Survey says: Death Panels. Draconian, yet simple, efficient, and effective.

Kill off the old folks at, say, 70, and redirect the Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid payments to families with children. Problem solved.

Failing that, I don't see a solution. Sorry. Maybe some genius will come up with one.

ccbatson Guest

Rampant growth amongst minorities of single parent households and seriel teen pregnancy follows the institution of the welfare state where liberals replaced fathers as providers.

I myself am an only child due to the fact that my father was medically retired 6 months after my birth. I get the point of this thread. I see it all the time.Most of the time I have seen it end with 2 or 3 kids. When you get up to like 9 kids in a single mother household thats enuff

Lorax Guest

Great idea for a thread, actually.

People, like Batts, feel that it's a personal right to have as many kids as one desires.

Why should society or any government dictate how many kids one should have?

However, in the real world, the costs can end up being those of society in general when there are no jobs, and the costs of raising children goes into the stratosphere.

The abortion debate dovetails with this. Anti-abortion advocates don't have a solution after the child is born, but think bringing it to term is the end of the parent's responsibility. However, it's the beginning of society's responsibility.

Birth control and education are the best weapons against unwanted pregnancies, but the religious nuts don't want that either, since there is some bullcrap notion about "man not spilling his seed" and such rot.

Want to raise birth rates and keep Social Security solvent?

Return to a 90% marginal tax rate.

Improve the quality of a free public education, universal single payer health care, stiff tariffs on imports, getting real about protecting American industries for Americans, strenghten unions, etc.

Simple, really. Return to what we've already experienced.

Why don't you ever read the article before posting? Both parents of the child in the article both are working. Their jobs just don't provide health insurance and they don't make enough to buy it themselves.

You really need help.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Rampant growth amongst minorities of single parent households and seriel teen pregnancy follows the institution of the welfare state where liberals replaced fathers as providers.

What's Bristol Palin's excuse?

Limit pro-creation to those families who can prove [[prior to conception) that a child will be affordable and taken care of.

Quit rewarding families [[or lack thereof) with paychecks for additional children they cannot afford.

It's a no-brainer!

Curbing this worlds population explosion would solve 110% of every bullshit problem we sit here and argue about every-fucking-day!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    What's Bristol Palin's excuse?
    and Jaime Lynn Spears.

ccbatson Guest

It is a personal right...circumstances [[like the ability to afford it) will compel the individual to make their decision one way or the other. Until....Big government stuck their noses in and dirupted the natural order with the current dire consequences as a result.

It is a personal right...circumstances [[like the ability to afford it) will compel the individual to make their decision one way or the other. Until....Big government stuck their noses in and dirupted the natural order with the current dire consequences as a result.
    But you advocate removing the woman's right to chose "one way or another" through government restrictions to abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Why don't you ever read the article before posting? Both parents of the child in the article both are working. Their jobs just don't provide health insurance and they don't make enough to buy it themselves.

You really need help.

Yes, this thread has really veered away from the original article. This couple didn't necessarily have children they couldn't afford; but as working parents they still can't get insurance for their kid. That's the point. You can't point fingers at those parents - they're working, they're trying to provide for their child. The only way they've failed, in the neocons' eyes, is not being born wealthy or having "good" jobs with insurance. "Compassionate conservatism," my ass.
    I probably shouldn't have posted that cartoon [[though it IS funny.)

ccbatson Guest

First, I am nopt entirely anti abortion...I am anti abortion when done without indications other than birth control.

Second, a woman absolutely has a choice regarding becoming pregnant via abstainance, and birth control methods. All choices carry some risk and responsibility. If birth control fails [[2% when done correctly), just like when you buy a house but find you shouldn't have after the fact...you have to deal with the consequences [[and killing the mortgage broker is not an acceptable method of dealing with it).

Lorax Guest

just like when you buy a house but find you shouldn't have after the fact...you have to deal with the consequences [[and killing the mortgage broker is not an acceptable method of dealing with it).
    No, but walking away is a good option, when they refuse to work with the borrower who, through no fault of their own, are victims of Rethuglican economic policies that rendered their homes without value, or less valuable than what they owe.

Or victims of Rethuglican economic policies that made their jobs vanish, therefore keeping them from continuing paying that mortgage.

Typical narrow minded Rethuglican thinking.

I hate to clue you in on things, but people were having children they couldn't afford long before any liberal programs provided money.

Swift had it figured out almost 300 years before the creation of the "welfare state".

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast